Forum Vs Chatroom

176 Posts | Latest reply on 24/04/2007 15:12:04 by RC | Go to original / last post
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

Sorry to be a moan folks, but please can I ask that we all remember what the forums should be used for and what the chatroom should be used for.   Keep chit-chat and small talk to the chatroom, and post lengthy discussions, debates, event organising etc in the forums.  Posts within the forums are costly to store, process and serve to other internet users.  I wont go into details, but just keep the above in mind.   Cheers again, really happy to see the site so active at the moment   ~Matt                                                                                                                                                                             
Di's Profile
Di

In: Wellingborough
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Ok boss LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
storm's Profile
storm

In: derbyshire

couldnt you delete some of the old posts to keep costs down matt, it would take the post count down but it would be cheeper for you                                                                                                                                                                             
Di's Profile
Di

being sorted as we speak stormThumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

Yea im looking into that actually.  Same applies to the Private Messages.  Theres now over 11,000 private messages and counting, all taking up data storage.   Its not just that, but each time the forum loads for example all the posts and topics have to be calculated and it slows the page load times right down.   Not to mention that the place looks cluttered and tacky, which is the main reason.  When I've asked users why they dont post in the forums... I get the reply that they think its  "too clicky" because of the chit-chat nature.  Therefore I believe that it's best left to the chatroom, and use the forums for lengthy messages.  I also believe that cats cannot be baptised, no matter how hard you try.  But that's by-the-by.  LOL   Its also an incentive for people to get over to that chatroom... everyone has been complaining that it never gets used, yet they use the forums to posts "good morning" messages to each other. See where im coming from?                                                                                                                                                                             
RC's Profile
RC

In: Derbyshire

we do go in the chat room but know one is ever in there                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

can,t type fast  so be no good for me                                                                                                                                                                              
witchiest's Profile
witchiest

In: hinckley

we had a girlie chat session last night tho didnt we! xx                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

lol RC - its cos ur all chatting in the forums instead LOL   I mean look at all the replies to this topic in the past 10 minutes... why dont you all go over to the chatroom? Theres 265 people online now, if a handful go to the chatroom then it will be busy.   All it takes is for ONE person to go there and STAY there.  Even if nobody is in.  Because otherwise everyone who goes there just leaves immediately as it is empty.   So... everyone head off to the chatroom now, and if theres nobody there when u get there just WAIT and someone else will be along shortly.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

what ,like a bus                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

just ben no one there , or i got lost , or its broke                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

lol yea like a bus.   Seriously just wait there, and more will be along soon (When they see these messages)   I cant cos i need food (Not eaten all day) and a bath so I can go out.                                                                                                                                                                             
Di's Profile
Di

I'm talking to myself people                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

told u its broke                                                                                                                                                                             
witchiest's Profile
witchiest

i was there ninja but u didnt say hello to me!                                                                                                                                                                              
RC's Profile
RC

In: Derbyshire

yeah we had a good old chin wag last night witchest lol same time tonight?                                                                                                                                                                             
Oggy's Profile
Oggy

In: Ely. Cambs
53% Karma53% Karma 53% Karma53% Karma

been said before,you need to keep checking on the chatroom page to see if any one else has come in to chat.Matt,have seen this feature in other chatrooms,if you minimize the page when someone posts the the banner flashes at the bottom of the toolbar,could this be applied to our chatroom in some way? I have noticed at times myself when I've gone in there that people dont check to see if others have come in to speak.
witchiest's Profile
witchiest

sometimes i dont get chance to just sit in front of pc and chat tho,so i chat on forums,this is cos i have 4 kids that constantly want something as soon as i sit down! i have been using chatroom more tho cos its interesting to see whos in there,some ppl who dont post on forums go in2 chat so u get to meet even more great ppl!! x
Matt's Profile
Matt

Unfortunately not oggy, because the pages dont refresh. Its all java based, but i wont go into detail.   Im looking at actually purchasing a fully designed chatroom that uses flash and members will be able to use webcams and mics to talk to each other. Prices are steep tho, and to design something like that would take years (Years for someone with flash knowledge, whereas Ive no idea with flash).                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

Also: the cost of subscriptions would be bumped up to pay for the new chatroom if I did go ahead, and it would be subscribed members only.                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.9844 seconds. There are 1831 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption