Norton Breaks Record at Bonneville

5 Posts | Latest reply on 01/09/2010 20:36:03 by Hull750Rider | Go to original / last post
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

Norton’s 961 Commando SE broke a land speed record at the Bonneville Salt Falts, Utah, USA, on the 30th August,  by recording an average top speed of 129.191mph.   The bike, officially entered by Norton into the annual BUB Motorcycle Speed Trials was ridden by Alan Cathcart and claimed the record for the 1000cc Production Push-rod class. The previous record was set last year on a Buell reaching 126.398mph.   Cathcart said: “It’s nice to put Norton back in the record books for the first time in so many years. The fact we did it on a box stock bike exactly as delivered to any Norton customer makes it all the sweeter”.     The BUB Trials happen each year in the middle of the Utah Salt Flats. You can ‘Run whatcha brung’ and watch contenders attempt to break World Speed Records.   Norton is there for the rest of the week trying to raise the standards in other classes. To see how the team are doing visit     http://www.nortonmotorcycles.com/news/                                                                                                                                                                                 
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
93% Karma93% Karma 93% Karma93% Karma

I recorded over 150mph on a 750 Seeley Norton in the 70s at Elvington                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I'm a bit confused by this "record".
The Vincent Black Shadow (1000cc push-rod engine) could do 125mph in production spec 60 years ago. They've only managed to beat that in the past couple of years? I'm guessing that there's a bit more to it than that article says.

yamahama's Profile
yamahama

In: leicestershire
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I took a picture of the Norton when I went to Spilsby Buell show.I think I uploaded it onto events if anyone wants to have a look. Date was July 17th, smart looking bike.

Hull750Rider's Profile
Hull750Rider

In: Hull
9% Karma9% Karma 9% Karma9% Karma

Tweeked I recon the Black Shadow could (pardon the pun) "over shadow" these erm low world records, anyone got one to take this on lol.   or is it a case of it being an American world record like the American "World Series" Baseball/BasketBall/Football but in Bike Land Speed Records lol.                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.3281 seconds. There are 1063 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption