White text

28 Posts | Latest reply on 01/09/2010 20:20:40 by Matt | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Does anybody else keep having there text turning white for no apparent reason?

I think it's dependant on what browser you use to post, and seems to be when the text is within <p> tags, but not when it's in a <div>.
If I'm right this line should be white.                                                                                                                                                                             
dunans's Profile
dunans

In: southport

no problems here using firefox, never had that happen                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Ok, it's white for me.

Matt, any reason why the CSS for <p> would have the text defined as white?

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

dunans, do you see the line "If I'm right this line should be white" as white text? There's nothing in it defining it as white, but it appears white to me.

Rob1050's Profile
Rob1050

In: Redditch

Looks all white to me tooSmile                                                                                                                                                                             
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
75% Karma75% Karma 75% Karma75% Karma

I don't have any problems with my own text turning white, but if you cut and paste from a website it usually turns white on you. 
The workaround is to first paste into a blank wordpad or notepad file, and then copy again and paste into BikerMatch. Matt can explain why, but my eyes start to glaze over at this point.
You can often salvage it if you can edit it by highlighting the text and then using the text colour tool, but it doesn't always seem to work.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Cutting and pasting from other sources is a problem in many places because it keeps some of the formatting, but that's not what I'm talking about.
If I type a message from scratch it sometimes turns white but not always. I've now figured out that it's if I press Enter, that causes the text to be surrounded by <p> tags, and the CSS then appears to define it as white text.

The thing I'm not sure about is if everybody is seeing it as white, or if it's just some people.
So, is this line white?

Rob1050's Profile
Rob1050

In: Redditch

YupThumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
75% Karma75% Karma 75% Karma75% Karma

It's white to me using Chrome as a browser. Just tried it in IE8 and Firefox and it's still white.

[edit] Sorry, just seen you reckon it's dependent on the browser you use to post, rather than read.                                                                                                                                                                             
yamahama's Profile
yamahama

In: leicestershire

yep. it's white on firefox                                                                                                                                                                              
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

It's because the <P> tag is set as a creamy white in the CSS mate.  So if you put a <P>some text</P> tag anywhere then it will come us as creamy white like the rest of the site.   That's why you shouldn't do it... don't copy paste from other sites.   Pressing the enter key shouldn't do anything though - I do it myself.  A LOT more posts would be in white if that was the case..... ???                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

I can't understand how you're getting <P> when you press enter   The Rich Text Editor is supposed to be putting <DIV> in instead automatically.   Try typing a message and pressing the <> button in the toolbar, you'll see your HTML.  When I'm typing it adds <DIV>, but in your message I see <P>.   What did you do?  How did you do that without editing the HTML?                                                                                                                                                                             
dunans's Profile
dunans

yes m8 where u said it would be white text i see white text                                                                                                                                                                              
Matt's Profile
Matt

don't worry we all do, he's somehow adding a <P> tag to his post                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

Toilet that way >>>>                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Pressing enter automatically puts <p></p> around each paragraph. It hasn't always done it, it's something that started fairly recently but happens at work and at home.What I have been doing recently is editing the HTML to remove the <p>s. This time I haven't touched the <> button so this is exactly what the editor generates.                                                                                                                                                                              
Matt's Profile
Matt

that's weird mate, it's not doing that for anyone else - just you Geek   When I press enter it correctly adds <DIV>   What's your setup?                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
96% Karma96% Karma 96% Karma96% Karma

Glad I done do techi stuff, you gave me a headache just reading it                                                                                                                                                                              
dunans's Profile
dunans

slightly off topic the site has logged me out a few times today even while in chat or browsing , never happened before is it just me ?                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

It's definitely you mate, here's the code to prove that the gets removed...      //Insert <DIV> instead of <P>  if (parentElement.tagName == 'P'||parentElement.tagName=='BODY'||parentElement.tagName=='HTML'||parentElement.tagName=='TD'||parentElement.tagName=='THEAD'||parentElement.tagName=='TFOOT'){   selectedRange.pasteHTML('<DIV>');   selectedRange.select();   return false;  }   You must have some kind of popup blocker, virus scanner, etc turned on screwing things up.  Something is fiddling with your javascript (oo er).                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 1.2500 seconds. There are 612 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption