Helibars for VFR800fi

8 Posts | Latest reply on 10/09/2010 21:24:51 by wheelbarrow | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Before we set off on another long tour, Im trying to get the riding position sorted out on my VFR. I tried a mates last week where 22mm bar risers had been fitted, and i noticed a difference straight away. The heels of my hands weren't as sore, and not even the sightest back ache. These are only slight niggles when riding out for the day, but riding 6 - 7 hours a day in France a couple of months ago, I was having to rub in deep heat each night, then each morning aswell, and towards the end half way through the day too!! So i need to do something.   Has anybody had any experience of VFR Helibars? They do sound good on the few reviews I've found online, but at around £275 a throw, I need to be as sure as i can be that they will help.   Hopefully somebody out there has tried (and liked) them!                                                                                                                                                                             
ghosthunter's Profile
ghosthunter

In: Hinckley

Mate has Helibars on his CBR600, thanks to the good range of adjustability he can set them how he likes and can make sure they don't foul the bodywork etc. At least you can take them off and sell them when you you sell the bike?   What price comfort? Some people spend twice that on an endcan just so they can pose, I'd sooner have comfort any day                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Cheers ghostie. . . . Just found a brand new pair on ebay from the states, even with postage, almost £100 cheaper than any i've found in uk.   I know what you mean about the price, and adjusting the riding position on a bike i really like is a much better (and cheaper) option than getting rid and buying a 1250 Bandit - which was my first idea when the suggestion of a month in europe was made!!   Any more clues anybody?? . . Do they really make that much of a difference??                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

I'd also arrange an MRI scan with your doctor.  Nobody should be having constant back ache like that, even with a long ride.  You might have a hernia (like me), degenerative disc problems, or even bone from your spine sticking where it shouldn't.   Quick MRI takes 20-30 minutes for a diagnostic scan and you'll see exactly what the problem is.   Also, get yourself swimming and/or to the gym to work your back muscles.  Increasing your strength in that area should stop muscle ache on long rides.   These options will/can improve your health and the root cause of the problem, rather than patching up the symptoms.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Thanks Matt, you're right about swimming and gym work.   I had an operation  on my lower back 15 years ago, and it plays up now and again, but the exercises the physio showed me, and a few swims do the trick there.   This was a pain starting in my left upper arm, then arm and shoulder, with the odd shooting pain up the neck and/or down the arm.  It started two days into the ride, and wore off 3 to 4 days after. I've never had trouble on other bikes - usually dedicated tourers, like the triumph trophy I took on a long weekend to Northern Ireland a while back.   A mate reckons at 6ft 1 I might be a bit big for that riding position, hence trying to sit a bit more upright, but i will deffinately mention it to my doctor next time i see him.                                                                                                                                                                             
Roachy's Profile
Roachy

In: West Yorks

The lass I know with a VFR800 has risers on due to problems with her wrists. I don't know what make they are but they weren't cheap however she loves them and therefore the bike now.                                                                                                                                                                              
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

If I find I have too much weight on my wrists .... I go faster!                                                                                                                                                                             
wheelbarrow's Profile
wheelbarrow

In: Cardigan

I have helibars on my ZX9, they dont look much different, but whilst riding you can see the advantages and how much more upright you are. Got mine second hand otherwise I would not have paid what Helibars charge for them.

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.3750 seconds. There are 632 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption