Motorcycle bays become cycle docking stations

10 Posts | Latest reply on 12/08/2010 10:30:12 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Parking spaces for scores of motorcycles have been replaced by ‘docking stations’ for push bikes in the London Mayor’s flagship cycle hire scheme. Eight motorcycle bays, each thought to have accommodated up to 20 motorcycles or scooters, have been replaced by cycle docking stations in Boris Johnson’s scheme, which received £25 million sponsorship from Barclays. In Westminster, where extra motorcycle parking was promised in return for a new £1 daily charge, dozens of motorcycle spaces have been replaced.  A bay for at least 20 motorcycles has been scrapped to make way for one docking station on Little Argyll Street, near Oxford Circus. Another 20 motorcycle spaces have gone near Charing Cross police station. Warren Djanogly, chairman of No to the Bike Parking Tax, said: “The motorcycle bay there has been halved to accommodate the cycle hire scheme. I’d say about 20 spaces have been lost.” A Transport for London spokesman said: “Cycle hire docking stations have replaced motorcycle parking at a very small number of sites, but in each case these parking spaces have been relocated nearby by the relevant borough. In some cases, additional motorcycle parking spaces are being provided at the new sites.” Stock broker Richard Jones, 37, who used to park his Honda Transalp in the Argyll Street bay, said: “It now takes me 15 minutes longer to find a space every morning. Where are these new motorcycle bays?”                                                                                                                                                                              
rockchick123's Profile
rockchick123

In: Manchester

Motorbike friendly country we live in ... not!   Just one of the many reasons why most of my biking pals have moved abroad to work/live Unhappy                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I know it's terrible that they are taking away bays for motorcyclists. Gosh there are enough bloody parking spaces for cars in the city why not trample some of those spaces down!

Also why is it that whenever there is a biker crash on the news it's made a massive deal of....they bang on about how dangerous they are and how they are lethal to road users! The thing that is lethal to anyone are those bloody shit drivers who don't check their blind spots!!!

Sorry....annoyed by them as someone nearly knocked me off the M6 motorway last week when I was coming off on the slip road for a junction and a car indicated nearly knocking me off! Arse holes! ha-ha. Oooh so fiery today....maybe it's packing that's making me this way!
rockchick123's Profile
rockchick123

lol ... mbw ... sit and have a brew ... chill out hun :) read a book or something ;)                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

ha-ha yeah I think I need to, it's just I do get annoyed thinking about how many people have nearly run me off the road because they can't be arsed to check their blind spots!

I tell you what riding a bike and then getting in the car always makes me check those things.
Hull750Rider's Profile
Hull750Rider

In: Hull
9% Karma9% Karma 9% Karma9% Karma

He can't chill by reading a book he's packed them all....................(runs and hides lol)                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

ha-ha! that's a good one Hull750rider....I like your humour. No need to hide                                                                                                                                                                              
rockchick123's Profile
rockchick123

I did say ... or ... 'something' ;) lol   erm ... mbw ... dont tell Hull not to hide ... I will lose my rep ... lmao                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
93% Karma93% Karma 93% Karma93% Karma

MBW if you have been nealy run off the road that many times you may find your sitting there blind spot sorry but there are alot of riders out there that dont think. I know this thread will go off like a firework now but we are only as safe as we make ourself
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

JP even if I am sitting in their blind spot which I wasn't, there is no excuse for people not checking their blind spots. It's taught in the practical car test and it's just laziness from car drivers! This particular guy was a shocking driver and swerved over without indicating! 

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7344 seconds. There are 1451 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption