Helpful info for group rideouts

20 Posts | Latest reply on 11/08/2010 08:49:55 by WheelyNealy | Go to original / last post
Rooster roo's Profile
Rooster roo

In: Nottingham for n
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Hi after completing several group rideouts this year and gaining more experience in this area was wondering if members have any useful hints do's n dont's when riding in large groups and smaller groups of say 3 or 4 just thought might help folks out for future ride outs who maybe doing it for first second time. Reccomend it to anyone to try it at least once as its great feeling when riding in a large group for first timeThumbs Up Ride Safe and enjoy folks!                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

One thing that I find really useful but don't see all the time; when on a main road stagger your position so that you can keep in a closer formation, it makes it much less likely that cars will pull between riders.Like this:            - _ - _
rather than like this: -   -   -   -You're still the same distance from the bike in front, but take up half as much space.

Karey's Profile
Karey

In: Barnsley

Thats good advice Gary.   I was taught that on my CBT too, meaning that if the bike in front of you stops suddenly you are less likely to run into the back of them... and vice versa the rider behind you.   Also its a good idea to have someone at the back who knows the route. Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Keep your slowest riders towards the front of the group, and your fastest at the back. Catching up is a lot harder than keeping up.

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Make sure when you overtake vehicles you don't just shut the throttle down straight away and leave no gap for the rider following behind to pull in LOL   Make sure those that know the route well are staggered throughout a larger group so that if the group does get split at least there are people who know where they are going rather than those at the back getting lost or those at the front having to pull over and wait - that way those at the front can just take the pace down a bit to allow rest to catch up.                                                                                                                                                                             
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

In: Birmingham in th

If your overtaking a line of traffic watch for other behind you . If you fill a gap you could leave someone who went with you nowhere to go. don't try and follow someone whos overtaking a line of traffic for same reason. wait and pick your own gaps person at front should take account and wait.                                                                                                                                                                               
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Make sure that when you're off out in Convoy that there is an experienced member of the group who knows where they're going at both the front and the back! Just helps if you get lost at junctions etc.   Obviously if there are more than 2 people who know the route spread them out over the whole convoy. Makes it easier for those riders (like me) who don't have a clue where they're going.                                                                                                                                                                             
Rob1050's Profile
Rob1050

In: Redditch

In larger groups, say 6 or more, use the 2nd man drop-off system.   Have a leader and a tail-man. At any junction, other than straight on, whoevers 2nd, stops, to point the way to everyone else. He stays there until he sees the tail-man then rejoins in front of him.   If everyone understands the system, there's no need to keep up with the guy in front, there'll always be someone to show the way. Only the leader, and preferably the tail-man, need to even know the route.                                                                                                                                                                             
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

In: Birmingham in th

If your not sure of the route. take a map or own sat nav in case you lose  the group. evryone try and swop mobile numbers so there's loads of contacts.                                                                                                                                                                             
kendress's Profile
kendress

In: bath

not one for stating the obvious, but it always pays to flash the car your sat behind so he/she realises that;
a. your actually there,
b. you want to pass.

hopefully then, it will pull in a little and stay pulled over so everyone can get past safetly(in 'groupe' overtakes this pay dividends)
and a polite wave from all and sundry always helps, i know some people get a little intimiidated when a groupe of bikes pull up behind them,we all know the simplest thing is to pull in a little....they should make it law so that all car drivers have to spend a week on a bike/scooter after passing their driving tests!
yamahama's Profile
yamahama

In: leicestershire

Some very good points have been made with regard to this topic and allwho ride in groups should read this. I would like to add that riders should concentrate on riding and the riders about them. I recently witnessed two bikes nearly colliding because one rider was fiddling with settings rather than watching what was going on. Not good.

Take care out there
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

Remember to have your NoK details with you and up-to-date.   I've been on group rides out and only knew one person out of the group and even then I didn't know their personal details such as where they lived, only had their mobile number.   NoK = Next of Kin                                                                                                                                                                              
Scrapyard monster's Profile
Scrapyard monster

In: Forest of Dean

I'd recommend the drop off system as well . I rode thru France , a 2 day ride with about 15 others who had never meet before no one got lost u just look 4 the guy on point . If you want to up the pace it's ok to just keep gettin to the front and being point again.
Scrappy
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
96% Karma96% Karma 96% Karma96% Karma

Thats a good point Zwak we had a bad day this year as you remember and only one of us knew the right info                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

Kendress I could not agree more, since passing my bike test I have become more aware as a car driver.

Ian and I have had groups of all sizes leave ours for rides, and I agree with what's been said here, my advice if for those on small bikes or L plates, don't be worried about a group ride, I did more group rides with people off here on L plates than I did on my own or with Ian it really does teach you a lot and the group should take into account your ability, I know every ride I have been on did.

Now when out as a large group (12+) if Ian leads, I tend to middle man was we have bike to bike coms so if I loose TEC then I can let him know and he will stop the group or slow them down till they catch up,

Timeout's Profile
Timeout

In: Midlands
15% Karma15% Karma 15% Karma15% Karma

If in a single lane or on a dual c-way dont ride next to another rider or in their blind spot, anything goes wrong and they have to move to avoid a pot hole drain or something you are both gonners. The idea of staggered riding is also to see past the one imediatly in front of you, further down the road. Safe riding to all. Alan
Santa3644's Profile
Santa3644

In: Sidcup

it also helps on dual carriage ways and motorways if the tail-man pulls out first to overtake and blocks cars behind him so the whole group can comfortably pull out in front of the tail-man to overtake.

Been both leader of the pack/tail-man and I've noticed that it's best if both positions really work/think/ride together as one
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
66% Karma66% Karma 66% Karma66% Karma

Just found this topic and must say i agree with everything thats been said, the only thing i would say is that riders who are new to riding in groups should only ride at a speed they are comfortable with and not be tempted to go quicker, the leader should only go as quick as the slowest and if anyone does slow down the person in front of them should slow down and that should slow everyone down. The only time i'd leave the one behind is after the last junction when its stright on to your destination. I also like to slow down at junctions and bunch everyone up till i can ses the last person
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
96% Karma96% Karma 96% Karma96% Karma

If you are riding on motorways it's a good idea to have a change of front man every 15/20 miles as it's very hard to keep track on a group on a motorway                                                                                                                                                                              
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

In: Near Driffield

if your riding in groups it allways helps to have a motor bike i find ? Confused     i tend to ride at the speed of the bike behind that way no one gets left behind !                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 1.0156 seconds. There are 642 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption