Supervised driver law comes under scrutiny

11 Posts | Latest reply on 06/08/2010 19:15:57 by Rob1050 | Go to original / last post
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
91% Karma91% Karma 91% Karma91% Karma

THE LAW surrounding car drivers supervising learners is set to come under scrutiny after a survey conducted by the AA revealed many drivers are unaware it is illegal to use a mobile phone, fall asleep or even text while out with a learner.

The survey of 19,000 members revealed:

* Nearly a quarter were unaware it is illegal to use a mobile phone while supervising a learner driver.
    * One in 10 respondents did not know falling asleep was illegal.
    * A substantial number thought it was OK to text while supervising.
    * And 13% were unaware of the need to wear glasses, if they use them when driving themselves.

The findings have prompted the AA to call for more stringent laws on drivers supervising learners.

The president of the AA, Edmund King, said the issue was highlighted by a case in which a person who was supposed to be supervising was over the drink-drive limit.

"This is where the legal point is quite serious because you are actually deemed to be in control of the car, even when you're supervising. And in fact there has been a case where tragically the learner driver actually had a crash, two people died and the supervisor was actually deemed responsible and actually went to jail."

We're still amazed learner drivers can be supervised by another driver with no formal qualifications in cars without any dual-control facility.

Have you had a bad experience involving a 'supervised' learner driver?

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

"The findings have prompted the AA to call for more stringent laws"

Isn't the point of the article that people don't know the current law? What would be the point of making the law stricter if people aren't abiding by the current one?                                                                                                                                                                              
brigadoon's Profile
brigadoon

In: Basingstoke

I think the point is that the AA want more people to use their driving school, so that they can make more dosh....                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Ah yes, silly me, I didn't look at it from that angle.

Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

Have to agree make sure folk understand the current law before changing it ..... doh !!!

I sat with 2 of my nephews and 1 of my nieces whilst they were learning and had many a close call. cool as cucumber outside so i was frightening sh**less inside
madhat's Profile
madhat

In: glasgow

no what you mean..... a thought of being a driving instructor and signd up with a company called Instructor Training....the paper side was easy ( passed with the highest score in the collage) but then we had to go out in the cars usally 4 of us including the instructor jeeeezzzzz the close calls we had a dont know how many times a nearlly p****d ma p**ts and a couldnt beleive some of the questions some asked like "do we have to wear our seat belts when we teaching" doh  a passed the driving tests but decided that if thats how a felt with the other students a wouldnt be any good so a became a taxi driver instead lol
Rob1050's Profile
Rob1050

In: Redditch

Agreed with the above.   Can't help but think the AA have an alterior motive for publishing this, tho their point is valid enough.   Don't have much doubt, they're looking to ban all but qualified instructors from taking learners out.   Bearing in mind the standard of driving of Joe average, that may be no bad thing, but is there any evidence to suggest there's a significant problem with unqualified instruction ?                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
96% Karma96% Karma 96% Karma96% Karma

The only probley is 9 out of 10 car drivers are thick and dont know how to drive, thay only learnt how to pass a test                                                                                                                                                                              
Rob1050's Profile
Rob1050

Agreed, but I'm nervous of even more regulation.   It's getting to the stage where everything has to be done by an approved person. We're not so far away from having to call an electrician to change a flippin' lightbulbWacko                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

I never had a proper paid for driving lesson, my Dad taught me from scratch (no comments thanks JP !!!) and feel its a shame that foolish twits spoil it for those that genuinely do it properly                                                                                                                                                                              
Rob1050's Profile
Rob1050

As with so much recent legislation, everyone gets dumbed down to the lowest levelUnhappy                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.4219 seconds. There are 611 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption