Giving up

67 Posts | Latest reply on 06/08/2010 23:24:55 by madhat | Go to original / last post
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

Keep it up girl you done it now all the hard work done just the habit to break now                                                                                                                                                                              
Boodyblues's Profile
Boodyblues

In: york
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

ive been a non smoker now for nearly two years,,it was hellish hard but well worth it,, i hated the feeling of addiction ,the feeling that something was controling you,,so i gave up cold turkey,,no nicorette no patches nothing just bloody determination,, i would suggest a few tips for you,, 1,,never keep cash close to hand that way its harder to go and buy evil weed,,2, throw away all ashtrays and buy a room scenter its much nicer,,3, ask any visitors not to smoke even outside,,4 have a large supply of chuppachups lollys on hand,,4 when you get the urge get up and go do something,,i didnt set target dates like some suggest as if you dont reach that target it makes u feel youve failed so forget that!!take up taichi its great for chilling,,xxxx good luck xxx
Nutkin68's Profile
Nutkin68

In: Hull

Some good advice there boody Thumbs Up    I don't smoke myself so have no idea what its like to come off it, just take it a day at a time, stay determined and keep up the good work Anne, I know you can do it !!Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Spacedaag's Profile
Spacedaag

In: Reading
12% Karma12% Karma 12% Karma12% Karma

I just quit smoking and I think my (massively shortened) story might help you. Near the end of April (2010) I was on a ship down around the Falkland Islands – and I wasn’t feeling too good. I was sent ashore and checked over by a doc. Early in the diagnosis it was believed I might have lung cancer. I did some deep thinking, sorted my brain out and phoned my wife.   The next day I was told I didn’t have lung cancer. I nearly cried with relief but I still didn’t feel too good.   The next day it was finally identified that I had had a heart attack! Things moved rapidly from that moment on but, that evening, whilst I was lying in a bed in the hospital in Stanley (and I had just had another ‘event’) a couple of other doctors came in to see me (they don’t have many patients there!). They informed me that smoking was the cause of my heart attack…   As much as I have loved my roll-ups for the last three and a half decades, I quickly realised that the time had come to stop.   So, when you feel that the time has come (which you do) – remember me in the Falkland Islands; living for one day with lung cancer and the rest of my life with a heart attack. I have no regrets but it has been re-enforced that everything is finite – and I’m not ready to go yet.   Thus, in one hit, I gave up smoking, sugar, most animal fats, kebabs and cheese but I’m loving it. I get more hard-ons, I drink beer and red wine and every day is beautiful. The addiction to smoking is a state of mind but so is waking up every morning, breathing deeply, congratulating yourself, looking forward to seeing your children and riding your bike. Actually, with the right mindset, giving up smoking is fun and a doddle.   Good luck, buddy! You can do it.   (I was lucky, I was medivaced to Chile (the flight cost £27,000) where I was given lots of drugs and a stent and then repatriated to the UK but, a month or so later, I jumped on my 11 year old Harley and, doing 5,000 miles in 16 days (in the pissing rain), I went round the Crimea – grinning and laughing all the way. Last year a good friend (and colleague) had a heart attack, coincidently also near the Falklands but, tragically, he came home in a box.)                                                                                                                                                                                
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

Well done that man for quitting the fags even if we did get a bit TMI about your third leg Embarrassed LOL   I still can't believe how easy it was when I quit, I thought I'd have withdrawal symptoms, as I had done the first time I quit, but nothing. I wish it was so easy for all those who would like to quit but like Spacedaag said 'it's a state of mind' Believe you can and you will.   Keep at it Anneka Thumbs Up you're doing well.                                                                                                                                                                               
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

When I stopped I had a little thing I said to myself when I was tempted.  it went, 'You can have a cigarette and be a smoker for the rest of your life...or you can wait 30 seconds for this feeling to pass.'  It worked.  I no longer smoke and neither do I wish to.                                                                                                                                                                              
madhat's Profile
madhat

In: glasgow

you have all done really well a so wished a could but ave tryd and tryd.....   my daughter quit 10 weeks ago and is doing really well am so proud of her but she always has had a strong will lol                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.2656 seconds. There are 1187 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption