Giving up

67 Posts | Latest reply on 06/08/2010 23:24:55 by madhat | Go to original / last post
anneka56's Profile
anneka56

In: Stockport
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

smoking!!! After 43 years on the dreaded fags i have named friday 23rd July 2010 as my Stop DayConfused I have got the quit pack and Drs appointment on friday. Was just wondering if anyone had been through this ( and I'm sure you have )  and what helped you through it ????
Minnie the Minx's Profile
Minnie the Minx

In: Cheshire
3% Karma3% Karma 3% Karma3% Karma

Good luck Ann....I've been struggling on & off with the weed for years. Currently off but am a nicotine gum addict instead lol. At the end of the day it's only sheer determination can nail it. Your head has to be in the right place but once it is, you can do it. Go for it girl x                                                                                                                                                                             
awokenangel's Profile
awokenangel

In: Wirral

Good luck!   I went "cold turkey" when I gave in, but that was a long time ago. I know people who have done well with the tablets from the doc's, so fingers crossed for you.   Just think of all the lovely dosh you'll have to spend on treats with the money you won't be "burning" on the fags! Put as much in a jar each day that you would have spent on fags, and at the end of each week/month buy something that you want or need that you previously wouldn't have....   I'm sure you can do it!! Approve                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

Good Luck!! bratlin'  Thumbs Up   I wish you all the luck in the world. Just think of it one cigarette at a time, don't think 'today I won't smoke, just think, 'I won't have the next cigarette'  some say a change of thinking helps as much as a change of habit.   I gave up almost 3 yrs ago and it was dead easy, (sorry Anneka) cos I had no money so I had to stop, cold turkey like Angel, but what made it so easy is I wanted to be rid of the addiction, I was sick of rolling my own fags, hated them, preferred manufactured fags. I wish I could get in the same frame of mind about eating lol   Now I can't stand the smell when someone has just had a fag, I think I've programmed my brain to find it disgusting so I won't smoke again.   Don't think of yourself as failed if you start smoking again, you can always give up again.   If you give up while you can afford to buy them you will save loads of money.   What would you buy with your extra dosh?                                                                                                                                                                               
Karey's Profile
Karey

In: Barnsley

Good Luck Ann!!    i stopped through ill health ( i got Bronchial Pneumonia)  but I was trying to stop anyway and one of the things that helped me...and this sounds really disgusting but it helped...   I used to put all the tabs in a jar with water, and when i fancied a cig i wud open the jar and have a sniff..it used to make me feel sick !   That was a tip that was giving to a friend of mine who went through a stop smoking campaign.   Like minnie says.. once your head is in the right place you will do it...and it seems like you're ready now!   You go girl !!!!                                                                                                                                                                               
Karey's Profile
Karey

In: Barnsley

Some wise words from awokenangel and kwak too.. that reminds me...   I was told it was about 'breaking the cycle'  ... I used to have a cig when i got up...then driving to work I would light up at a certain point in the journey..then again when i got to work.. then at break, 1 or 2 at dinner time etc, etc...   So.. I would start cutting down.. i would have the first one.. miss the one driving to work.. then the next day .. miss the one when i got to work aswell...  etc, etc.      You will be suprised that you dint need that cig at that certain time..and if you can do without that one.. you can do without the next..etc..    It is all about BREAKING THE CYCLE ...     I wish you all the luck!    Im not ant-smoking..just feel its something I needed to do                                                                                                                                                                               
rockchick123's Profile
rockchick123

In: Manchester

Anne .... woo hoo!   You are doing it ... huge hug :)                                                                                                                                                                             
anneka56's Profile
anneka56

Thanks  everyone Thumbs Up For the last couple of weeks when i have been and bought ,say, 40 cigs  and got home with them i kept thinking well that's another tenner gone !!!( I am on 20 a day but buy 2 packs at a time cos they are always selling out) I believe the inhalator is good, was talking to woman who hadn't had a cig for 10 weeks using that when the urge got too strong.
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

If you feel the urge to smoke log in here and post on this thread, we'll give you moral support Hug                                                                                                                                                                             
awokenangel's Profile
awokenangel

In: Wirral

Or immoral support even!!! Wink                                                                                                                                                                             
anneka56's Profile
anneka56

Hug Thanks Auntie Kwak xxx you may regret saying that  LOL                                                                                                                                                                              
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

Or immoral support even!!!   that n orl lol                                                                                                                                                                             
anneka56's Profile
anneka56

God I love you guys  Hug                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Seeing my dad go through hell with lung cancer was my turning point, sorry Anne.   I agree it is all about breaking the cycle and I saw a programme once where the expert said, about breaking any habit, that it is changing your behavour 21 times in a row that cracks it.  I think cold turkey is the best way if you can get your head round it, and the putting the money in a jar and buying goodies for yourself or special people in your life will make you feel better about it and means more rallies!   If you really can't hack it with willpower, try to do it with as little chemical help as possible or you might just be creating another habit, albeit a less harmful one.   All the best, I'm sure you'll do it.   V                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

Good luck Anne   I struggled for years & It was not till I met Ian that I stopped , he never said I could not smoke when with him, however he does not smoke, so I never smoked when with him ... gradually it got less & less & then one day I realised that it had been 3 weeks since I had smoked   I am sure you will do it                                                                                                                                                                              
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

Hi Anne I packed in on new years eve 1989 and not had a one since, you will only stop if YOU wont to, I can say it was hard and I was a bad tempered git when I stopped but it was worth it never looked back. So best of luck be strong its not easy but you can do it jp                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I stopped about 4 and half years ago, the first 2 days are the worst after that the physical craving has gone and it is all in the mind then.....once you get the first week over with and resist the few times you feel like it it is a lot easier....just change your routine...for example if you used to light up straight after dinner then have a cuppa and then do the dishes....change the routine, have dinner then do the dishes fill those times in with another routine to keep you busy....   .....what you have to remember is if you have a craving it will be gone in a few minutes, just take it a day at a time....but in the uk 20 a day is £175 a month you could treat yourself on......just think £175 a month thats a new bike...new set of leathers...a car ...a holiday £2100 a year will get you a bloody good holiday......   You can do it Anne have confidence and just resist the temptation one at a time...we have faith in you...Clap                                                                                                                                                                             
wozabee's Profile
wozabee

In: lancaster

anne dont let them docs put you on them tablets they are ruddy awful things (champix ) good luck with however you try and stop                                                                                                                                                                               
Alice2's Profile
Alice2

In: York
33% Karma33% Karma 33% Karma33% Karma

Good luck anneka. Hugs if you need them Hug                                                                                                                                                                              
GT63's Profile
GT63

In: Catterick

I gave up using Allen Carr's easy way to stop smoking book nearly six years ago. I didn't plan on stopping, just wanted to prove a book couldn't work.....and it did!! I still had a carton of 100 in the house too!!   Have never had a craving, didn't put on weight and don't mind people smoking around me.   Don't quit quitting!! Clap                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.5195 seconds. There are 632 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption