Test riding bikes

14 Posts | Latest reply on 19/06/2010 19:37:33 by Rob1050 | Go to original / last post
Rattay's Profile
Rattay

In: Bedworth
16% Karma16% Karma 16% Karma16% Karma

Thinking of buying a new bike soonish if monetary things go my way.   I will be getting shot of two of my bikes to part finance it.   I have decided on a Suzuki Bandit 1250GT as I want luggage, comfort and a bit of oomph all at a reasonable price and the Bandit although not the most beautiful bike, gives me my wants of functionality over aesthetics.   So I look into a test ride of said bike via a Suzuki dealership in Northamptonshire.   I emailed them about ten days ago and heard nothing, so yesterday I phoned them asking if I could test ride the GT.   'Er, we have a naked bandit you could try?'   'So you don't have a GT to test ride?'   'No, we don't keep a GT, if a customer wants one we would have to build it up (fairing and luggage) from an ordinary one'   I really need to try it out with the fairing and luggage on as it may feel different than the naked bike and for just over £7000 I would need to try before I buy'   'Sorry!'   'By the way I emailed you about a week ago and haven't received a reply yet?'   'Oh sorry sir we are short staffed at the moment'   'Thanks for your help then, I will try another dealership'   Is this usual practice? If they haven't got the bike to try out I can understand but must say their whole attitude was a bit naff. I have never bought a new bike from a dealer before, is this usual practice?   Ratty                                                                                                                                                                             
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

In: Newton Aycliffe
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

From what I can gather from buying my bike the other week, dealers are deffo a little 'reluctant' to give a test ride. Maybe you should just ask them to put the luggage on and have a test without the fairing. If you like it, the fairing can only improve the ride in reality.

Another option would be to contact Suzuki UK direct to see if they can organise a proper test ride for you Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Rob1050's Profile
Rob1050

In: Redditch

Could always try a Sprint. Most Triumph dealers are more than happy to arrange test rides.   s'only a couple of £k moreWink                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

In: Near Driffield

truble is  they have to register a bike for the rd for test machines  and this then makes it second hand  ( ex demo ) if its not a big seller wich lets face nothing is at moment due to money troubles all round so it may be easyer to find  a second hand bike to try   butthat it in its self is another reason why dealers would be reluctant to let you ride a bike thinking you may be testing it to go buy new one i have never managed to get a test ride for new bikes  as yet unless its one they sell realy well  having said that pidcocks in nottingham used to be prety good for test bikes  but im not sure they do suzuki anymore ?                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Like Rob said, triumph dealers have always been very good, but they get given specific demo bikes by the manufacturer.

Always surprised that the Jap manufacturers don't do the same                                                                                                                                                                             
Rattay's Profile
Rattay

Cheers for the replies.   I will have to broaden my search I think to get a test ride.   I don't mind trying one without luggage but I won't try one without the fairing because I may not like it and would have to then buy an aftermarket one, increasing the initial price which would then put me in the realms of looking at the used market as £7000 is absolute top price for me including any 'extras'.   I ride a 94' 900 trident at the moment that is 'adequate' although a good friend has a fairly new speed triple that required a new engine last year so he replaced a 2005 engine with a 2008 one. He has had nothing but problems with his bike even spending again a few hundred quid the other week getting his forks rechromed as they wouldn't seal correctly. He drives a car too so it's used more or less as a dry weather bike.   I don't for a minute think that's typical just that he's been unlucky.                                                                                                                                                                             
Rattay's Profile
Rattay

Been doing a bit of research (well that is my job!) and it looks like the GT doesn't have long left.   It's been replaced by the Suzuki GSX1250 fa.   This is a sexier bike altogether and although has the 1250 bandit engine has had a bit of a makeover to appear like a de-tuned GSXR tourer.   It's fully faired and about the same price as the GT BUT! the luggage comes as extra taking it up near the £8000 touch.   I should know within the next month if I can buy a new bike and if so will be hunting down one of the last GT's   Guess I know what the Northamptonshire dealer was hinting at now but if he'd have come straight out with what was happening I would have been more inclined to trust him and carry on dealing with him, now - no way!                                                                                                                                                                               
Rob1050's Profile
Rob1050

Ooohh £8k, getting very near the price of the best sports tourer in the WorldWink esp as there's a new model just announced, might get a deal on a new old 'unThumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

Rob, do you work for Triumph or something lol?                                                                                                                                                                             
Rattay's Profile
Rattay

I'm sure Rob must be on commission. Lol!   There doesn't seem to be much difference between the Suzuki 1250GT and the Suzuki GSX1250fa ST. They both have bandit engines, the fa ST has 'firmer' front suspension, a GSXR style headlight, a sportier dash with a gear position indicator. The radiator has got a  second cooling fan and there's a new silencer end cap. With a mimimum of at least £600 between them the only 'real' improvement would be the suspension and the second fan as the fairing would hold the heat in more.The rest of the 'improvements' although a nice touch are not really necessary.   So as money needs to be minimised if I buy new, I will put up with the naff dash etc of the GT, especially if I can get a few bob knocked off as people want to buy the latest model.   Still open to other ideas, suggestions though!                                                                                                                                                                               
DG99's Profile
DG99

In: Nottingham

I have a mate flogging a VFR with all hard luggage fitted, its not new though.  Oh and its not a Triumph LOL                                                                                                                                                                              
Rattay's Profile
Rattay

If I'm spending for me, that sort of dosh that I've never done before, I fancy a new 'value' bike not a second hand dearer one at the 'sameish' price.   Never had a new bike before (apart from a chinese and I don't count that!) and reviews of the suzuki engine with the low down grunt albeit a bit boring, suits me well!   I've always been more towards the tourer type bike than the sports type and a max speed of 130mph is plenty for me. In the right conditions I would like to take a bike up to the ton fifty but being realistic it would only be once or twice especially as I live in the overcrowded midlands.                                                                                                                                                                             
DG99's Profile
DG99

In: Nottingham

Fair comment mate, just one thing though, I bought my Bandit 'S' brand new and I have to say I wish I hadn't.  I wasted 1500 quid on the pleasure of having a new bike.  Ok I had my own business then and could afford to do it but wished I hadn't afterwards.  But horses for courses, enjoy having a new bike, I did........ for a short while lolol.  Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                              
Rob1050's Profile
Rob1050

Well you know what I'd doTongueLOL                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.6563 seconds. There are 721 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption