cbr600 broken down again! aarrggghhhhh

26 Posts | Latest reply on 06/06/2010 17:14:53 by nellie | Go to original / last post
willow's Profile
willow

In: Tyldesley
20% Karma20% Karma 20% Karma20% Karma

hi yes, it's me again!!! i spent a loverly weekend with pals in north wales. on the ride home , somewhere on a49 not far from oulton park i had to switch to reserve fuel. bike took a while to get going. conked out just before lights at shell garage at cuddington. wrong side of lights and an uphill push to station. two kind fellas on sports bikes stopped and pushed me to the station!!  put fuel in , rode down rode about a mile and it stopped again. eventual;y ran again but stopped aprox anoother mile up a49. this time i rang RAC who came out 2 hours later ! bear in mind i am sat alone on side of very busy straight on a49! some very kind people (fellow bikers) in 4 x 4's stopped to help and some bikes too. eventualy RAC man arrived. got bike running again . he followed me up road and yes, about another mile just before acton bridge it stopped again. then the RAC man checked fuel pump but it seemed ok then it did seem to stop. + cleaned filter (said it could be that). i've not got an inline one. no crap comming out of the carbs he could manage to drain. so not sure quite what it is. might be filter/fuel pump. all i know is that i am total fed up with it and from it initaly breaking down at 5.30 ish till me getting home at midnight am totaly poooped !! you guys on here realy did help me last time and am hopeing you can lift my sprits again............# it restores my faith in people to know how many stopped or gestured on bikes when i was at the side of the road............. any help greatly appreciated...also, i've just got my tickets for the farmyard- lets hope i get there   thanks in advance folks xxxxxxxxxxxxx   S                                                                                                                                                                             
Scorpio54's Profile
Scorpio54

In: Bodmin
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Willow, sounds like you picked up a load of sh*t from the bottom of your tank when switching on to reserve. If there is a fuel filter either in the base of the fuel tap or between the tank and the carb then it might be worth checking that these are clear of muck.   If this is the cause then a flush out of the tank seems to be in order as well.                                                                                                                                                                             
Rob1050's Profile
Rob1050

In: Redditch

Check the breather in the fuel cap.   If air can't get in, fuel can't get out. Might explain running for a short distance, then stopping again.                                                                                                                                                                             
willow's Profile
willow

i will have to find a man that can...........i can do a few little bits to my bike but am abit useless and dont have all the right tools............. ta will let you knnow what happens xxx                                                                                                                                                                             
willow's Profile
willow

ta Rob..............will mentioon that to a man that can when i find one......was very strange how it ran then stopped just as if it was running out of fuel again!! x                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
95% Karma95% Karma 95% Karma95% Karma

Hiya not sure if you can do it on your bike but try taking the fuel pipe off the pump (tank side) open tap see how long the fuel runs for if it stops  just try blowing up the pipe with  the tap open if the fuel starts to run again would suspect blocked tank filter if no fuel runs  at any time could meen you may have a vacum tap that is sticking
willow's Profile
willow

ok ............i'm a bit kak handed to do it myslef but am taking notes so when my willing volunteer (term used very loosely) i can pass them on.................. ta xxx                                                                                                                                                                             
ghosthunter's Profile
ghosthunter

In: Hinckley

I'm favoring a blocked breather vent, My rf900 did exactly this. Fuel pumps don't run all the while on some carb bikes, just intermitantly to keep some fuel going to the carbs ( most carbed bikes rely on a simple gravity feed usually)                                                                                                                                                                             
willow's Profile
willow

hey GH can i borrow your bike for the farmyard then? lol........... it is starting to sound like a blocked breather thingy now! need to ring round a few friends to see who's free to fix it for me............wish me luck......... thanks x                                                                                                                                                                             
madhat's Profile
madhat

In: glasgow

Huga cant give u advice on ya bike but am sure some1 on the site can, hope u get it sorted xxxx
feistygirl's Profile
feistygirl

In: Rochdale

If not got an inline fuel filter it will still pick up crap, esp if you have gone down to zilch, could be that you have crapped up your carbs and possibly a jet                                                                                                                                                                              
willow's Profile
willow

last time carb got pood up it had slightly diff symptoms........but will def pass all comments on to a man that can -when i find one !! just hope i can get it sorted soon..............i was told to let it run onto reserve to see how many miles i get from it! i knew i shouldnt have listened.................dammmm x                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

In: Near Driffield

if its pumped then breather wont make a difrence as tank is presurerised maybe a leaking cap seal  but most lickley crap in the carbs being sucked up as you open the throttle
carb strip and fuel line cheack in order i think
fuel pump has to have been sorted by now im  sure ?
feistygirl's Profile
feistygirl

In: Rochdale

Willow... go Ouch  the twit who told you to run it on reserve to see how far you got... and kick yself in the shins for listening...Confused                                                                                                                                                                                  
willow's Profile
willow

yep, i've kicked myslef up the botty !! the fuel pump was replaced the other month with a second hand one from  a breakers for £30 as they want £90 + aprox for a new one...............might be worth the investment now  as well...i'll ring a friend tomiozz to see what he suggests. i was too feed up with it today to even think about it..............thanskl folks i still hope to make it to the farmyard............fingers crossed xxxx                                                                                                                                                                             
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

In: Newton Aycliffe

willow an engineer told me at the weekend that if you leave your fuel tap in the on position permanently it damages the diagfram  inside eventually. By turning the tap to reserve it could have perforated. I'm not saying that's what you do or it's what's wrong but it might be worth adding to your checklist Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
willow's Profile
willow

oh right rusty. i'll add that to my list of things to check! ta x. it most likley be something daft like that. it ran and stopped aprox 1 mil;e three times in total and the third time was with the RAC man behind me. it just chuged and stopped...............                                                                                                                                                                              
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

Nowt more frustrating than a problem like that willow but it sounds like it's deffo fuel and all the advice above is worth checking out. 

You'll soon have it sorted Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

In: Near Driffield

hmmm not sure i agree with that ive allways left my petrol taps on in 24 years never had a problem !                                                                                                                                                                              
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

Funny you say that Neal cos I checked and my owners manual says it should be left in the 'on' position so conflicting stories as usual Wacko                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7031 seconds. There are 613 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption