50cc Bikes - Any recommended models?

21 Posts | Latest reply on 20/06/2010 18:48:33 by 6ypsy | Go to original / last post
6ypsy's Profile
6ypsy

In: Clay Cross
9% Karma9% Karma 9% Karma9% Karma

My lad is 16 in July so will finally be old enough for his own bike.  Every day he browses tinternet then tells me what latest bike he wants, and every day it's a different bike.   Trouble is he and I know nowt about all the different models and what's any good, so that we can narrow the search down to go and look at them.   He doesn't want a scooter, or an automatic, and like me, he's only a shortarse - 29" inside leg.   Can anyone give us any tips on what makes/models to look for?                                                                                                                                                                             
Rattay's Profile
Rattay

In: Bedworth
16% Karma16% Karma 16% Karma16% Karma

Don't go for the Chinese copies of Japanese bikes! They are cheap but there is a reason for the low cost and it's to do with the build quality (Naff!).   I don't know anything about 50cc bikes but I would look into known named Japanese as a starting point                                                                                                                                                                             
yamahama's Profile
yamahama

In: leicestershire
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

if you're on a low budget jac go japanese it'll be cheaper in the long run. if you see owt an dwant 2nd opinion just pm me and i will see if i can help.

are you better see you soon you missed a good weekend just to rub it in a bit more.LOL

Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

In: NA

Ratty I have to disagree with you as will many on here ... 

My 1st bike was a skyjet 125, (chinese copy of the honda CBR125)  had him for 10 months till I passed my DAS & never had any troubles with him at all, he was a FANTASTIC bike and WELL worth the money I paid for him £1200 brand new from the dealer with a 12 month warranty, now rockchick has him for her 21 year old son.                                                                                                                                                                             
Rattay's Profile
Rattay

In: Bedworth
16% Karma16% Karma 16% Karma16% Karma

I rode one through the Winter of 2008/2009 and the road salt destroyed its metal frame and engine. The chain on it stretched almost immediately like a piece of elastic. The front and rear sprockets both collapsed dangerously. The bike stopped charging the battery. It's stuck in my garage with 6790 miles on the clock from new.   just giving my personal opinion of the Lifan I bought                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Do you even get 50cc bikes any more? All I ever see is step-through type mopeds.
*Adopts grandad mode* Back in my day the only serious choices were the FS1E or AP50. (Or SS50 if you wanted a 4-stroke.)So what's the equivalent of the fizzy these days?Not very constructive I know, but you've made me all nostalgic. Cry LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Wraith750's Profile
Wraith750

In: Stevenage
18% Karma18% Karma 18% Karma18% Karma

Sadly,Rattay,yes the chinese copies of the japanese bikes can be cheap`n`nasty,hence why they`re cheap.But lets put things in perspective-most of the smaller main branded motorcycles are now built in China;the Honda Cbf125 among them.It`s just the way of keeping the costs down.
Like any product,if it`s looked after accordingly,it should last a reasonable amount of time.I inherited a Lifan Lf100 (a copy of a Honda C90)a few years ago.Having been abused by the previous owner-knackered swing arm bushes,chain,etc,I left it lying in the shed for six years before deciding to have a look at it.Genuine Honda parts fitted,so I had it on the road for the winter,& still use it for commuting-I just give it a bit more maintanence than usual.Cheap to run.
Sadly,I don`t` have enough experience of the 50cc market,as I never owned one.Learned to ride on a Yammy Rs100 as I thought mopeds were too dangerous-enough power to get you into trouble,but not enough to get you out again.That is,of course, my personal opinion & should by no means put anyone off riding a moped.
Of course if anyone wants a geared 50cc bike that they can enjoy & keep as an investment,why not look around at the classic mopeds,such as the Yamaha Fizzie,Honda SS50 or Mbx50,Suzuki Ap50 or Kawasaki Ar50.All great little bikes which should hold their value,if looked after,when the time comes to sell.
6ypsy's Profile
6ypsy

Cheers Yama, that salt is stinging the wounds nicely Cry Just back from a couple of days in hos again so I might as well have come boo hoo.   Seriously, thanks for the offer of guidance, and for everyone elses comments. I'm not sure how much endurance will be needed as he'll only keep it for the year, but his daily college run will be about 20 miles so I'm sure he'll clock up a fair few. Had wondered whether the copies were worth having and it souns like provided he puts in the mainenance he should be ok - but still need to find something.   You're right GB, there are very few proper bikes out there, but have found http://www.paulhuntmotorcycles.com/325210/used-bikes.htm and it's only down the road to go and have a look. Rory's not keen though, I might have to assert my authority Evil Smile. I may be clueless but I hold the bulk of the finances LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
old red's Profile
old red

In: Norwich
5% Karma5% Karma 5% Karma5% Karma

Joining you on the nostalgia trip GarySmile..16 years old, my dad got me a Honda SS50 off a mate of his..Those were the daysBig smile...Till I had a bad off!!Unhappy. Put me off for years, reliving those days again though..                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Its not a 50, but I bought my son a new Hyosung 125 super moto two years ago, and it hasn't been any problem at all, He's rode it through the winter, snow excepted, and its not in too bad a condition at all considering that, I've seen jap bikes just as bad or worse.

And if your lad is only going to have it for a year before he upgrades to a 125, why not buy a chinese one?, especiallly if he's not riding in in all weathers.

As for buying a FS1-E or whatever, have you seen how much they are!!! and they don't have the street cred for a 16 year old                                                                                                                                                                              
6ypsy's Profile
6ypsy

He wasn't over impressed with the Suzuki that I found, I think the classic bikes are lovely, but you're right shadowfax, no street cred at all.   Have given it some thought and had a bit of a chat at NUN last night and have come to the same conclusion, for a year anything will be fine.  Just need to find something now.   Cheers for the advice everyone!                                                                                                                                                                             
Phil's Profile
Phil

In: Liverpool

Have a look for a Honda Cub 50. May be old but it is a style icon and indestructible.<BR><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV>www .telegraph.co.uk/motoring/columnists/jamesmay/3267424/Honda-Cub-The-greatest-machine-ever.html                                                                                                                                                                             
xtwill's Profile
xtwill

In: West Wales

Hi.   I work in sales at a local dealers.  The choice of 50's is limited these days, most of the youngsters have Speedfight scooters, Generic do a 50 geared supermoto look a like. What I think is the better option is a classic 50 like a late Yamaha DT50 or Suzuki TS50, cracking little bikes and if you buy right will reliability and also low if any depreciation.  Saying that we have a lovely little Honda MT5 80's sort of trail bike for £795.   Just be careful, I feel sorry for this lads who have bought cheap chinese bikes from their mates and bring it in with problems and we cannot get parts or it is more expensive to repair than they paid for the bike.   Happy hunting                                                                                                                                                                              
Hull750Rider's Profile
Hull750Rider

In: Hull

That little x1 is a nice little thing BUT they do go for silly money new out the show room that would have cost about £499-599 inc all taxes a lid and a rack lol   That MTB sounds a good one! Retro but still got enough street cred too...   Most lads seam to like off road looks that's why they tend to cost more to insure (most knicked of any style of small bike).....                                                                                                                                                                             
6ypsy's Profile
6ypsy

Hello All,   Anyone going to Farmyard and willing to ride over to Boroughbridge with me over the weekend and give their 2pennoth on a Yamaha TZR 50cc?    It's on ebay at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ite...K:MEWAX:IT   I'm trying to arrange to go and see it for my lad, don't know Boroughbridge but it's about 25 miles from Helmsley. More importantly I know nothing about bikes, so all I could say is mmmm that's nice, which isn't really much use.   If you're up for it please pm me.   Ta                                                                                                                                                                             
DG99's Profile
DG99

In: Nottingham

Hey that looks alright for a 50 Thumbs Up  Right sort of price at the moment too.  Good luck with that one.                                                                                                                                                                              
Hull750Rider's Profile
Hull750Rider

In: Hull

Just a bit too rare for parts as an import maybe????                                                                                                                                                                             
DG99's Profile
DG99

In: Nottingham

For 300 quid it really doesn't matter, reckon you could break it for that, or find another Yammy engine to go in it.  I know what your saying but its as cheap as chips at the moment.  If it went to stupid money I wouldn't even bother looking at it.
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

He does realise that it can only do 30mph legally doesn't he???                                                                                                                                                                             
6ypsy's Profile
6ypsy

Cheers for info lads, have had a word with the bike shop and parts should be ok, but need to check re legal status for 16yr old riding it as it's not restricted - thanks for that tip GB. It'scertainly worth a look though all told if he can ride it.                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.8279 seconds. There are 965 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption