Advice please - long trip on 125

30 Posts | Latest reply on 22/05/2010 19:51:59 by Taromazzy | Go to original / last post
Cataraptor's Profile
Cataraptor

In: Redditch
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I recently rode Moonstone's GN125 home from Redditch just before she moved in. It normally takes just under 2 hours but on the 125 it took nearer 3. I did it non-stop and found it to be quite comfortable since it has quite a wide seat. However, I agree with the advice to stop frequently to avoid the numb bum and to eat, drink and keep your energy up. As also suggested, the choice of route is important since on dual carriageways the temptation is to ride as fast as possible and keep it up to or near the red line to make progress. Best to keep to B-roads where you won't feel the need to thrash it. So, in conclusion, a long run shouldn't be a problem on a 125 and you should be able to complete the trip in a day.
Blueboy955i's Profile
Blueboy955i

In: Darlington

I remember the good old days of owning my CG125 and I clocked up some hefty miles on it (all on my lonesome).  Don't be afraid of attempting a long journey on a small bike, they get there in the end, but obviously take a little longer.  Then again it gives you more time to enjoy the experience and the views on the way.   Give it a go Taro, you never know unless you try and you'll look back on the experience and smile loads.    If you are feeling cautious then feel free to PM me and we'll be more than happy to join you for part of the journey.                                                                                                                                                                             
yamahama's Profile
yamahama

In: leicestershire

don't be in a rush to get to your destination and enjoy the journey.                                                                                                                                                                              
Rattay's Profile
Rattay

In: Bedworth
16% Karma16% Karma 16% Karma16% Karma

A half decent 125 japanese bike should really be able to cruise near the 70 mph speed limit for unlimited mileage without a problem. There can be too much emphasis today on size of engine and bike.   So, the only problem I can envisage is the slightly narrower seat on the smaller bike.   Address that and no problem!                                                                                                                                                                             
limeninja9's Profile
limeninja9

In: Liverpool

Matey!  Just do it!!   It will be fine.  You can go anywhere on any bike,, just a bit slower on yours is all.  Get up early!   Or do you want a tow??                                                                                                                                                                               
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

In: Near Driffield

i worked with a lad in the south of france  rode his MZ 125 etz down to the job from ipswitch  so i think scotland should be fine Thumbs Up just take it easy  will probably do it some good
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

I had a cheapy 125 which struggled over 50.  Don't redline the bike all the way there just to save time, you'll do a lot of damage.  Take it easy and enjoy it.   I recently went all around Europe on my bike (big bigger than yours though lol) and I found 600+ miles per day was much easier if I split it into mini-trips.  Don't just stop cos ur bum is numb, but instead PLAN somewhere fun to stop where you can walk around a bit.  Make it part of your journey, even if it adds a few miles to ur journey.  U'll have something to talk about then and to think about on the long journey (which will inevitably have some boring sections to it).   Oh, and take up the kind offers from folks here.  Grab some cuppas on the way and meet some nice (albeit probably a bit batty) folks along the way.   And welcome to the site!                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

My 125 (sold years ago) wouldn't have got me that far cos it was always breaking down but if your bike is reliable, and you are the confident type, I'd have to say give it a go and good luck.   Quoting clarissa:   125's serve only 1 purpose; to take the test to qualify for  33bhp.   I disagree, strongly, my 125 helped me get my shopping, saving my arms from the weight, and visit my mum at least twice a week, something I'm not able to do now, only get to visit her about once every 6 weeks if I can get a lift.   It gave me far more independance than I have now, even tho it broke down a lot, so NO it doesn't just serve one purpose, not to me anyway.                                                                                                                                                                               
clarissa's Profile
clarissa

In: Tell you later

kwak Cool                                                                                                                                                                             
Taromazzy's Profile
Taromazzy

In: Wigan

Thanks, some good insights there Big smile thanks for the invite Minnie.....think I may manage without a tow though Peter (though you never know!!)

Time seems to be the key - strapped for time, need a couple of days there & back to enjoy the ride
xxMaz

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.3440 seconds. There are 1002 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption