Advice please - long trip on 125

30 Posts | Latest reply on 22/05/2010 19:51:59 by Taromazzy | Go to original / last post
Taromazzy's Profile
Taromazzy

In: Wigan
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Some one I know told me that driving to Scotland on my 125 might kill it!Shocked
- its 230 miles on a roads to where Im going, was planning on stopping every 2 hours or so.......you guys are the experts, how often do you think Ill need to stop and for how long?  Or will the bike even make it?

thanks for the help
xxMaz
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Unless the bike's overheating, stopping isn't really going to make any difference. It's you that's going to need the stops as I doubt if it's going to be very comfortable. IMHO most 125s will be fine doing a 230 mile trip.Good luck. Thumbs UpGary.

Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
73% Karma73% Karma 73% Karma73% Karma

I'd make it a breather every hour, and keep relaxed. Numb bum will be your enemy, try to keep comfortable and you'll be OK.

bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

In: Birmingham in th

Can't disagree. The bike will be fine. You'll know when you need to stop. You can't concentrate on the road if your bums achin too much. stop when you need to. Geek

JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

All I can add is make sure the bike is serviced before you set out and all your pre checks done jp                                                                                                                                                                             
whiteairedfox's Profile
whiteairedfox

In: liverpool

i agee with all other comments but are you travelling alone?helps with a buddy,breaks the boredom and you can have a laugh at the numb bum syndrone,hope everthing goes ok,good luck and enjoy  Scotland.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Personally i would split the journey with an overnight stop,,,,unless leaving early doors which will give you all day to enjoy the ride with plenty of t&p stops,,,,,in 1992 i done 140 miles on a honda cg 125 with no problems at all other than a strong headwind which added about 2 hrs to the journey,,,,,and it was loaded with camping gear!! Any maintained bike should be capeable of any journey,,,,,its us,,,,the human body,,,,,that needs the stops !! Good luck and enjoy the ride..                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

Just take it steady, enjoy the ride and you'll be fine.  If you're still unsure, buy a 600 lol!                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

Hi Hon, I have only recently passed & stopped riding a 125, your bike will make it no probs, just remember dont thrash it & the red line is to be avoided not aimed for LOL.

I have done 250 in a days riding on my 125 without issue... apart from as all have said on here, numb bum, that's gonna be your enemy, reg breaks before your rear feels like it should be on someone else is the key.

Enjoy the ride & get those miles under your belt Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Taromazzy's Profile
Taromazzy

In: Wigan

Thanks guys, good to know the bike is more likely to make it than I am, LOL!

Numb bum symdrome  Wink- once it starts its hard to over come - likely to be on the road for 9 hours.......CW1066 maybe you're right & should plan a stop somewhere, make it a more enjoyable trip rather than an endurance test.

geoffb2005 - a 125 is easier to pick up when I catch the stand in my trousers and we all go over, a 600 would be impossible!

Cheers for all the advice, appreciate it
xxMaz
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

If you really are concerned about numb bum syndrome, get yourself an airhawk seat.

Unfortunately this isn't a ride in an amazing, high speed, stealth combat helicopter from the eighties, cos that would be really cool, but rather an inflatable seat that straps to your bike seat.

They're not cheap, but everyone I've met that's used one has said they are fantastic.                                                                                                                                                                             
sumodwarf's Profile
sumodwarf

In: billericay
6% Karma6% Karma 6% Karma6% Karma

agree with everyone,if you cant afford a air hawk seat get a sheep skin to cover your thats what i use,put it on seat when you start to get numb bum and you should be ok,have a safe trip and enjoy yourself                                                                                                                                                                              
Rattay's Profile
Rattay

In: Bedworth
16% Karma16% Karma 16% Karma16% Karma

I did a long journey (150 miles both ways) on a small supermoto a couple of years ago. Numb bum does set in and agree with investing in a sheepskin or an airhawk seat if your gonna do long journeys regularly. I had to stop about once an hour for 15 mins but the long journey on that bike was a one off so I didn't invest in any extra 'padding'.                                                                                                                                                                             
madhat's Profile
madhat

In: glasgow

hi mazzy and welcome to scotland (when u get here Big smile)    you can get padded cycling shorts that have a gel in the bum might be cheaper than the blowwwwy up seat thing they guys were talkn about if u not planning in doing a lot of long trips, you shoulds get them in sports shops allthough i havent tryed them on a bike lol  just a thought and if u passn glasgow u welcome in for a coffee Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
clarissa's Profile
clarissa

In: Tell you later

my 5 penneth  don't do it! 125's serve only 1 purpose; to take the test to qualify for  33bhp. wait...... and celebrate this journey with motorcycling as it can really only be experienced.                                                                                                                                                                             
Rob1050's Profile
Rob1050

In: Redditch

Cycling shortsThumbs UpDefinately a good, and cheap, investment.   Think you'll find the 125 fine. The more unlikely the bike, the more fun and satisfaction you'll get from it.   We once took a week, on mopeds, to do a run we'd do in a day now. One of the best holidays everThumbs UpSmile                                                                                                                                                                             
Minnie the Minx's Profile
Minnie the Minx

In: Cheshire
3% Karma3% Karma 3% Karma3% Karma

Hi TM. For goodness sake tuck your trousers in your boots hun...a 125 is just as capable of cracking ribs when it lands on you as a bigger bike (I know from experience Smile). I see you're in Wigan. Have you got your license yet cos if not you will be on the A6 I guess. I'm in Kendal and you are welcome to call here for a coffee and a chance to get some circulation back in your rear-end...you can even stop over if you want so you are fresh before starting the assault on Shap I count Amy Johnson & Amelia Earhart among my heroines....you are joining their ranks. M x                                                                                                                                                                             
DG99's Profile
DG99

In: Nottingham

Just take your time, avoid busy roads if possible, stop lots so you enjoy it rather than going flat out and suffering.  The main thing is start early and don't be in a rush!                                                                                                                                                                              
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

In: Newton Aycliffe

I'd agree with all of the above. It would be a bit more relaxed if you can split it over 2 days but you're deffo on the right lines with the two hour stints. Setting off a couple of hours before breakfast will give you some empty roads to make progress and give you a feel (literally) for whether your bum can take that much at a time. Stop for a cuppa n sarnie then do another 2 hours before a cuppa/strectch stop. Have a good long break at dinnertime then another two in the afternoon. You'll be over half way there by then so if you're stopping over somewhere great but if not at least you'll know you're on the home straight Thumbs Up. Just prepare yourself for passing through some bad weather and a definate temperature drop as you get further North!! Have your bike checked before you leave and get some breakdown cover or at least a plan in case things don't go to plan.

By the way i've never ridden a distance like that on a small bike so i'm not speaking from experience just things I'd be thinking about.                                                                                                                                                                              
Blueboy955i's Profile
Blueboy955i

In: Darlington

Hi Taro,first of all congratulations for having the confidence in taking such a trip on a 125.I rode from scarboro to aberdeen on my wee baby and had no problems at all that weren't weather related.You don't say whereabouts in scotland your heading for but i would say up to 300 miles is feasable in one day if you set off early enough and the weather isn't too bad.Personally i found stiff legs more of a problem than numb bum and would advise lots of short breaks,even just a few minutes in a lay by,to stretch your legs and keep your circulation going.I would also advise sticking to b roads as much as possible as slower speeds are not nearly as frustrating when you have challenging roads and bonnie scenary.

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.6400 seconds. There are 768 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption