Places to stay in France

17 Posts | Latest reply on 23/05/2010 08:17:22 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

We have just booked to take the VFR on Holiday, and now looking for a good route back. Ferry to Bilboa next Friday, across to stay with my brother South of Barcelona on Sunday/Monday, then we have 6 days to get back to Calais for a ferry home. So far we have decidied to ride up to Andorra on Tuesday, up to cross the Millau bridge Wednesday, then . . .. who knows?   Has anybody ridden up from Montpellier aera to Calais recently? Did you find any nice roads, good places to stay etc.? After the first couple of long days, we are hoping to ride around 4 hours a day before finding somewhere to stay.   Any tips on route, accommodation, wineries would be appreciated.                                                                                                                                                                             
46Rossi's Profile
46Rossi

In: Bridlington
29% Karma29% Karma 29% Karma29% Karma

someone told me of this place that's friendly for bikers,,,but I've no idea where it is or if it's on your route?

www.hotellemarronnier.com

Hope this helps
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Thanks Rossi, that does look at great place.   Anymore anybody?                                                                                                                                                                             
Bandit_Mr_P's Profile
Bandit_Mr_P

In: e.g.Hollingworth

There's 2 web sites that I know about...   beds4bikers.com and campsites4bikers.com   Both (i believe) include sites in europe, and should have plenty of options!   Have a great ride through France.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Cheers Mr P.   found a couple of good sounding, cheap places on beds4bikers. Deffinately a site to remember!                                                                                                                                                                             
old red's Profile
old red

In: Norwich
5% Karma5% Karma 5% Karma5% Karma

Might be worth p.m,ing GeoffB Slidy..The man is a veritable trough of knowledge when it comes to European biking..                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I was over last summer, if you want a decent cheap night in comfort for two the inter hotel chain are good, I stayed in them a few nights including in Paris, some hotels have secure parking, get the interhotel guide book and it gives you all the information and prices on each, it by room not person as well.
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

found that most places in france are biker friendly .. d911 from millau  to bordeaux great road,, but going wrong way for you                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

Six whole days to get from Barcelona to Calais Slidy and no limitations on which route to take?  Jealous me?  Noooo lol!

Millau is a good choice and from here I'd continue along the south coast to Cannes.

From Cannes the world really is your oyster and it all depends on how much time you have and how long you want to travel each day.

The simple route from Cannes would be Route Napoleon to Grenoble and from here head north towards Dijon and then the Metz/Saarbrucken area.  This would offer a route along the foothills of the Alps and there are many fine roads in this area.

From Metz it's motorway all the way to Calais and I've done it several times in one go without any real issues although if you've a pillion you may want to give them a breather half way.

However, if you decide you can spare more time in the saddle then a trip further east into Italy and then north through Austria and then up along the Alps themselves would be bliss.

Myself personally I'd allow more time in the saddle or an extra couple of days to do the latter.  Believe me it would be worth it.

One important thing to remember though is to avoid Paris if you're in a hurry (easier said than done if you look at the map lol) and especially if it's rush hour!

Have fun.  Looking forward to hearing all about it.                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Thanks Geoffb. Just had a quick scan of the map, and south coast route to cannes and then up looks good to me. I'd love to take a couple more daYs, but 10 dasy off is my limit at the moment.   'avoid Paris if you're in a hurry' . . . in my experience it's best to avoid Paris at any time!   3 more work days, then off we go. Cant wait!                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

"in my experience it's best to avoid Paris at any time"

Not quite mate.  Watching motorcycle commuters on the Paris ring road during rush hour is something every biker should do at least once.

If you are shocked at the antics of some couriers in London, you'd be totally gobsmacked at this!                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Yes mate, It is insane aint it?!!! . . . I hired a scooter in Indonesia last year which is great in the open,  but round towns is just mad. But got to say, Parisians take the biscuit for everybody thinking 'Its MY right of way so Im coming through!' all at the same time!!                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

well geoff, just got back after 2,159 miles in 6 days. I can see why you like it so much!!   Didnt make it over to Cannes, but zig-zaged NW-ish from Millau up staying mainly on D roads. managed to do whole trip only paying 6 euros in tolls, but spent a lot more that the planned 4 hours a day in the saddle!   Off to the fridge now for a cold beer or two, and some much needed deep heat on the shoulders!                                                                                                                                                                             
whiteairedfox's Profile
whiteairedfox

In: liverpool

england,french are total s***s 3 week holiday bloody ruined by french people,never again,might have met the wrong people but it has put me off for ever,edd.                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

I do know what you mean Edd, the french can be "interesting" as can other europeans!  I just ignore those like that because I've always found the majority are fine.

And if they're purposefully rude to me, then I'm rude back!  And I'm a scottish, yorkshire biker, so I can be bloody rude lol.                                                                                                                                                                             
whiteairedfox's Profile
whiteairedfox

In: liverpool

nice one Geoff i found them complete ar*****es but there must some nice people there,but i still dont to go there again,so much still to see in englandWink                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I gotta say that everyone we met were freindly, especially in the farmhouses we stayed in. One old farmers wife, sitting with us at breakfast of her home made breads and jams, with no English and our broken French, made our morning. She was falling over herself to be nice!   Pulling up alonside a biker asking him if I was on the right road for . . . wherever it was . . . He just waved for us to follow, led us 10k, pointed to a sign on our left for where we wanted, then waved and doubled back.   looking for a place to stay one night, we pulled up at a B&B where they were full. The lady saw we were tired, and bought us out cold drinks while her husband phoned around to see if there were vacancies nearby. When he found one, he gave us a local map and marked out the route for us to a Chateu where we stayed for 50 euros. The owners seeing us with a takeaway we got from the nearest town (15k away) and wine in the grounds, came out with a corkscrew and glasses, and once more had a very disjointed chat with loads of laughter.   I'm sorry you haf such a bad time whiteairedfox, but either you were unlucky, or we were blessed. . . . one thing I will say, we always stay out of cities and big towns whereever we go, as i think the slower pace of life does make a great difference.                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.5938 seconds. There are 818 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption