Cleaning Chrome

31 Posts | Latest reply on 16/05/2010 11:31:14 by nawe | Go to original / last post
ace_morgan's Profile
ace_morgan

In: Hadleigh, Southe
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Hello Guys and Gals,   I was just wondering, is there an easy way of cleaning up chrome on your bike? After I got caught in the rain last time, the chrome was a right pain to get all clean again.   So any easy ways or tips on cleaning up the chrome?   Cheers :)   Adz :)   p.s. had my first night ride tonight, was good                                                                                                                                                                              
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

In: Near Driffield

theres lots of new chemicals to clean chrome ace  but i still find Duraglit works fine its been around for donkeys and lasts forever dead easy to use and good results  !Smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

Sugar soap works really well.     ***Disclaimer - this is a joke! LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
anneka56's Profile
anneka56

In: Stockport

When i was a kid  my brothers had  me  brushing 'Gunk' all over their bikes and washing  it off!                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

yea that's good but expensive.  Works well on the oily bits near the chain.   For other parts I used to just use soapy water                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
93% Karma93% Karma 93% Karma93% Karma

Hi ace Sorry mate there is only one way to clean chrome takes feckin hours to do it right                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

When I had my old Yamaha 750, it was chrome every where, the bike had been locked away in a garage for years only 200 miles in 10 years ..............hence it was in a bit of state, I bought Autosol Chrome Polish from Halfords £5.99 for 75g. You can either hand polish or use a polishing head on a drill like I did works wonders lol and if you have a dremel you can get into all the corners as well..... it works well...... if you get any pitting on forks in the compression range if it is only a small spec you can use a very fine wet and dry on it with wd 40 it may save your seals....but don't do any more than the spec of pitting area..... then polish it like mad...   I used to put wd 40 on a cloth and coat it a little to keep it in good nick and prevent the rust getting in on it...old bikes crap crome.... lol                                                                                                                                                                             
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

In: Birmingham in th

Ther's no shortcut to polishin a cruiser. A couple of tubes of autosol and a free sunday. Wipe on, wipe off grass hopper. Big smileCool                                                                                                                                                                              
Warhed's Profile
Warhed

In: London, Ruislip

Halfords matt black or Hammerite... sorted. :)                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

like it mate spray it on then problem solved..... actually there is a good way of keeping all bikes good, you clean it immaculately until even all polish is of the get it sprayed with acf 50 used on military jets etc, it is a thin coating that expels water and prevents corrosion,alternatively get someone else to do it for you    check this out   http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&v=F9vQYaynqtg                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

warhed mine was painted matt black all over i hate it much rarther be able to polish for a while and have a good result than clean it and it still looks sCensoredt ! when ive finnished                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I find the best stuff if chrome is bad or pipes starting to turn blue  etc is a cleaner in powder form that you make into a paste and apply then polish off,,,exspensive ,,,about £10-12 for a little tub....its called "BLUE-JOB" For a quick clean on good chrome a tube of "Auto Glym metal polish" does the job... craig....                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

with a neame like that cw you wouldnt want to be seen rubbing it off to quickly  mate lol                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

i was wondering how long it would take Neal!!!!LOL Dare not mention i use it to polish my Rocket !!!!!!                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

old n's the best craig lol LOL                                                                                                                                                                               
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

On a serious note,,,,Blue -Job is excellent,,,just dont use if windy outside as it is in powder form,,,you get an applicator which you wet to make a paste to apply,,,,for anyone with pipes that are going blue or have burnt rubber etc on them ,,,try this........comes in a tub slighter larger than a tin of shoe polish!!!!craig
uglyducklin's Profile
uglyducklin

In: yorkshire

like the link jonnytb ....looks great....Cool they can come and do mine anytimeWink                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

got to agree johnnytb,,,,good link,,,,and guess what,,its local to me... may just have to enquire about price !!!!!                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
69% Karma69% Karma 69% Karma69% Karma

To clean up rusty chrome use scrunched up tin foil dunked in coke, yes *coke.   Apparently it works but I'm a bit dubious meself, wouldn't the foil scratch the chrome?   *if coke can get rid of rust on chrome just think what it must do to your innards after you've had a drink of it Shocked                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

The human stomach naturally contains hydrochloric acid which is more acidic then coke, so drinking normal quantities does no harm there. It's more your teeth that you need to worry about."Tin foil" is actually aluminium which is a much softer metal than chromium, so it's unlikely to scratch it. Coke is quite acidic, so it doesn't surprise me that it can clean off rust. Commercial "rust eaters" are often based on hydrochloric acid. I've got lots of rusty chrome Triumph parts, I'll give the coke and tin foil a try. Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 1.0781 seconds. There are 439 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption