Suspension

35 Posts | Latest reply on 04/05/2010 21:18:51 by WheelyNealy | Go to original / last post
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

In: Near Driffield
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

we'll have a look tomoroat whitby terry ok bud Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
SPESH's Profile
SPESH

In: Rugeley In The S
5% Karma5% Karma 5% Karma5% Karma

Terry your right about the static sag, but you need to take the initial measurement with the rear suspension having no load on it, easy if you've got a centre stand or abba stand. Then measure again with the normal rider sat on the machine in the normal riding position. Try and get this as close as poss to 30mm by increasing or decreasing the pre load setting. The same can be done with the front pre load on the forks, but with the measurement being 20mm. But remember both unload measurements need to be taken with the suspension having no load on it.
I've got a detailed set up somewhere in my tool box, I'll try and post it for reference purpases.
Hope this helps Big smile, oh and try setting any damping settings back to the original factory settings. I'm sure these can be found online.

RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

In: Newton Aycliffe

Thanks for that cytm, I'll have a go tomorrow. It was like riding a pogo stick to Whitby today. My eyes are still shaking in their sockets LOL

Retrowheely's Profile
Retrowheely

In: Swindon

Hey RK, try Med/soft spring compression, hard re-bound and medium/hard damping.   The idea being that with the spring set soft it will absorb the bump the with re-bound hard force's the wheel back into position quickly and the damping Med/hard this will pre-vent your pogo stick action!   This is how i was told to set a bike up for road use, by a guy who raced on th IofM TT for about 15+ year's   Hope you get it sorted, cheers 2wheely!                                                                                                                                                                             
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

Thanks for that 2wheely, great advice from blues, CYTM and yourself Thumbs Up

Getting a much better understanding now before I whip me tools out Big smile                                                                                                                                                                             
retrofan's Profile
retrofan

In: pontefract

Hi, Could i say that the firmness is not really altered by the spring tension, the spring is just for returning the shock to it's original position and to give you a higher ride height. The firmness is adjusted by the damping and re bound, to much damping ie to hard on the rear and the suspension will kick you out of the seat on  abumpy road, to little and the shock will bottom out. hope this helps                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

I agree, I change my settings dependant on if it is fully loaded ie going touring or if I'm motorway running or just blasting on the back roads....its all about how it feels for you....when I get a little lost it gets messed up I return to factory settings then adjust from there......   CYTM is that static 30mm rear and 20 mm front standard all bikes?????                                                                                                                                                                             
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

Thanks for that retrofan and welcome to the site Thumbs Up

I didn't get chance to do any work on the bike yesterday but i'm planning on having a mess one night this week so no doubt i'll be back on here moaning!

johnny the Fazer is notorious for having sh*t suspension as is the XJR13, it's too soft front and back so I know it's never gonna 'feel' spot on and i'm getting rid of it soon so just trying to make the best of a bad job!

Anyone want to buy a 1000cc soggy mattress?? LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

ok quick question on suspension if i sit on my bike and it drops downa little thats sag ? right if so should i get the same sag at the front as the back meaning the back drops 30 mm                      front drops 30mm or am i way out with this thought         i do agree though terry if your rebound is to slow the bike will get lower after a few consecutive bumps in the road ! Confused                                                                                                                                                                             
Retrowheely's Profile
Retrowheely

The handling on an XJR is much improved by allowing the forks to come up a little through the yokes, dont know if this will work for the Fazer?   The alternative is, that if you want your bike to handle like an R1, "Buy a F**kin R1"! Simple'sLOL                                                                                                                                                                              
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

2wheely i've read that popping the forks through 10mm will improve things so that's what i'm gonna do but the rear bottoms out when loaded with camping gear and my helmet lock hits the hugger and exhaust bolt digs in the swinging arm that's how low it gets!!

I'm not after an R1 handling bike, just a setting for two up with luggage and a setting for nippy solo riding. There's a few XJR's in the bike club i'm in and every one of em has uprated springs and shocks and still handle like a jelly trifle LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Retrowheely's Profile
Retrowheely

Well does'nt matter to me anymore, i dont have an XJR!   But good luck with your journey to better handling and suspensionThumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Blah Blah Blah ...........

try here

http://www.sportrider.com/suspension_settings/suspensio...index.html                                                                                                                                                                             
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

Superb shadowfax, thanks very much for that mate Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

shadowfax said   Blah Blah Blah ........... try here       hahahahahaha  well shadow good info  and now for some thing completely diffrent lol                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.6719 seconds. There are 1064 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption