Motorcycle Enforcment-Too Little to late!

10 Posts | Latest reply on 08/06/2010 20:14:06 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
bikerbitch's Profile
bikerbitch

In: Denbigh/Leigh
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

It seeks to iron out inconsistencies between police practices across the country. Also it seeks to maintain a balance between prosecution for serious and flagrant disregard for the law (such as dangerous driving)and lesser offences such as noisy silencers and number plates that do not exactly match the dimensions required. The discretion of the individual police officer will remain but warnings as opposed to prosecutions in certain cases may be appropriate.   WOT'S NEW???   *ACCIDENTS AND DIESELIn a recent case a firm of solicitors negligently failed to advise a accident victim that there was a possibility of a claim against the Motor Insurers Bureau when their client skidded on diesel which had been deposited on a road surface by another road user. *FILTERING PAST TRAFFICA recent legal case found 100% in favour of a biker who was injured whilst overtaking slow moving / stationary traffic. *OVERBANDING Must comply with certain dimensions. If it does not and an accident ensues then there could well be a claim against the highway authority (&/ or their agents) *HUMAN OBJECT IN ROAD-UNAVOIDABLE COLLISIONIn a recent case a motorcyclist killed a child of 12 who was playing a game of chicken in the road. The motorcyclist was severely injured but not fatally. A successful claim was made to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board. It was argued that the child’s action fell within the definition of “crime of violence”. would be interesting to have your views on the above,cheers BB                                                                                                                                                                             
Rob1050's Profile
Rob1050

In: Redditch

I think that code of practice came out 12-18 months ago. The problem is, that it is a code of practice, not law, and some forces choose to ignore it. Certainly, if a case gets to court it's worthless.   Personally, I don't have a problem with it. If folk choose race cans and tiny number plates, thay have to accept the consequences. Further, hopefully they'll attract plod's attention while I go quietly on my way.Smile                                                                                                                                                                             
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

In: Birmingham in th

One thing that should stop this is the threat of insurance companies to void your insurance if your involved in an accident.   I also think police should be required to inform insurance companies if illegal or un-declared changes have been made to vehicles.   Trouble is, as we've found with speeding on the cat & fiddle These people won't change untill they're made to change. They all know what they are doing is wrong. Giving advise never seems to work.                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

Trouble with that bb is its at the dicrestion of plod if he thinks it been changed and tells your ins you could find yourself in deep stuff real fast for doing nothink wrong then you have to prove its std ? Harley Davidson whats is a std harley                                                                                                                                                                              
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

In: Birmingham in th

Surely if its a stock bike. the insurance will be able to check what should be fitted. Anything fitted afterwards even by the shop should be declared. I can understand with harleys though as i had to change so many parts on my evo's just to make them fit to be on the road.   But thats the problem with these donkeys. we all get effected by laws becouse of what they do.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

so on that then if you put an aftermarket set of brake discs/ shes/ pads or an non OEM exhaust then that should null your car insurance too??????? don't think so...many use an aftermarket exhaust as its cheaper than a stock OEM part......but it is the same thing....it is just insurance companies will do anything to get extra money out of you....   ........for example if you buy a bike with a lot of clearance from the clutch leaver( non adjustable) you have little hands so fit an aftermarket angles or adjustable on it puts up your insurance even though the act of replacing it makes the bike safer to ride??????   Discuss                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

My bike has a full aftermarket exhaust, and the fairing has been removed. My insurance know about it and it didn't affect the premium at all. I got a quote before telling them, just to be sure.I think they only care about things that increase the insurance risk in some way (eg higher performance), or significantly affect the value.

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

yup thats right my fazer thou has quite a few mods and was told that
because they were not performance enhancing it was cool.

Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
73% Karma73% Karma 73% Karma73% Karma

As I've never had a brand new bike or car, I always tell the insurance company that to the best of my knowledge it's not been modified, and they're quite happy with that.
Someone once told me that a tow hook on a car could put the premium up because it might affect the repair costs in the events of a minor rear end shunt, but when i had a car with a hook the insurance wasn't too bothered about it.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

So according to bluesbiker if a rider has an accident that isn't  his or her fault and it's found that the bike hasn't got the standard tyres fitted by the factory but some equally good or better tyres then the insurance companies on both sides can walk away from their responsibilities. That's walking on very dangerous and impractical ground. Personally, if the bike is in good order, has a current MOT, is taxed, insured and the rider has a valid license I feel that's as far as we should be obliged to go.   It's all very well being compliant and writing off to your insurers every time you change a filter or what have you but my experience with these desk jockeys is that they have almost zero knowledge of the subject.  You're just as likely to invite a lot of back and forth trying to explain what the mod is and that it doesn't affect safety or performance and they'll be none the wiser and bump up your insurance regardless.   S'truth I had a hell of a time explaining what a KZ1000 CSR (USA import) was when I was getting a policy.  In the end they just put it down as a Z1000J - which it isn't - it's a spoke-wheeled version of the Z1000K if it's anything. If it isn't on their books they'll just get it wrong - and probably use it as an excuse to void your policy later on.                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.3594 seconds. There are 661 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption