Average Speed Cameras

37 Posts | Latest reply on 30/04/2010 16:26:32 by WheelyNealy | Go to original / last post
thehairyone's Profile
thehairyone

In: Boston
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

If you want to se the end to cameras the solution is simple, for the next 6 to 12 months don't speed, these are only in place because they make money, if they don't make money, they will be removed, the government take the money, the local authorities pay for the cameras and get funding from central government, no money, no cameras, simple.
willow's Profile
willow

In: Tyldesley
20% Karma20% Karma 20% Karma20% Karma

well, i've just been for a run over the pussy fiddley road....what a difference!! those cameras seemed to have had an effect..there were a good few bikes there tho..................bloody idiots have ruined it for the rest of us..............tis one of my fave roads too...........xxxxxxx ride safe
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

if i ride ...catand piddle, dont mind the 50 max,,,,,,,,,,just enjoy the scenery, but going to Stormy Petrel near ternhill, there's not much fine scenery,( good roads) but still see lots of risktakers on a Thursday eve, speed limits are not the issue,,,,,,,,,riding within ones limits is

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Re, Oh and I am one of those that you would call a "speed nazi"!!  Maybe if we ever meet I'll bring some photos from work that'll guarantee you never swing a leg over a bike again!   Wouldn't stop you riding at all, I could take and show pictures from my work at a recruiting office and it wouldn't stop guys joining up, we are all adults at the end of a day and if an idiot crashes because he drives like a maniac its his own shout at the end of a day.....   .....of course we all hope that there is no damage to the person because he may have a family dependant on him...but should his bike take a leathering then maybe just maybe it will slow the guy down                                                                                                                                                                             
Nutkin68's Profile
Nutkin68

In: Hull

a lot of it depends on experience, years of riding, etc... but even that does not count for a lot nowadays... as a pilly, all I can do is trust - if they think anything about me, and they do, they don't go silly, whether they  drag race or not.... if they're daft enough to attempt it then they cant think a lot about me, and I'm so lucky that they do... feel safe everytime........... know I'm lucky
reaper_soul_man64's Profile
reaper_soul_man64

In: bury

average speed cameras!!!!! aint they forward facing ??? only 1s i have seen are on motoway and they were...so did not affect speed of bikers as no number plate Tongue and cat and fiddle is like devils bridge on a sunday ..full of power rangers pissin everybody off thinkin hey can ride (till it rains and they all go home ) lol
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

Averidge speed cams on motorways are om the gantry over all lanes and thay do take pic from the rear so expect a lot of post coming you way if you ignor them                                                                                                                                                                              
DG99's Profile
DG99

In: Nottingham

Now apparently those cameras on the Cat and Fiddle have an inherent problem, theres a short cut between them and the pub is in between the cameras.  So can't see how that will stop the idiots to be honest, they will just ride stupid and stop for a fag.  I personally hate that road, not for the wallys on the bikes, but for the guys in pseudo performance cars pretending its the Nurburgring.  We all know four wheels are gonna get you round a corner faster than two, its a given.  Nothing worse than some c*ck trying to stick close to your backside round those twisties.  Hmmmmmm maybe I should change that phrase it doesn't sound quite right. Ermm                                                                                                                                                                              
Rob1050's Profile
Rob1050

In: Redditch

Agreed Cat & Fiddle is the last place to go for a blast. They'll sort the average speed camera c*ck -up, now MCN have advertised the factLOL   Most average speed cameras are currently only front facing, tho they're working on rear facing, clearly they're rear facing on the C&F for eg. The variable speed limit cameras on motorways are rear facing.                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

The variable speed cams on motorways work as average cams I have been told by a man in traffic that you dont get nicked passing 1 a bit over but if you trip 2 or more at over the 10 percent you get fixed penalty I have no reson to disbelive him as I have known him for over 20 years and allways put me right
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

In: Near Driffield

average speed camras easy realy just ride though at legal speeds and time it then go back and go as fast as you dare then stop and wait  before the camara fot the aloted time that way can have fun round fave bends and they dont get you   simples X                                                                                                                                                                             
Paj1369's Profile
Paj1369

In: Pickering (York)
13% Karma13% Karma 13% Karma13% Karma

No probs there Wheely,.... been doin it for ages, s'pose some clever @ugger will figure out a way to spoil that plan eventually!                                                                                                                                                                              
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

The cameras on the Cat and Fiddle are Specs 3 and differ in a couple of ways to the ones used on motorways.

Firstly, they can be set rearward facing.   Specs 2 cameras aren't very good at reading number plates if that plate is moving away.  I have been told why, but I can't remember.  Specs 3 however can read number plates just as well when they are moving away as they can when they are moving towards them.  This allows them to be set up to specifically target bikes.

Secondly, Specs 2 work in pairs.  So along a length of motorway the first and second camera work together, then the third and fourth etc.  This did cause a problem a few years back with people learning this and then counting cameras so they could then speed between say the second and third.  This was solved by fitting dummy cameras.

However Specs 3 don't work in pairs.  They work as a group with each camera talking to all the others.  This way if for some reason once camera doesn't manage to pick up your plate the system can still calculate an average speed.

One point though, DG99 is correct, there is a problem with the C&F cameras relating to the short cut from Walker Barn to the pub itself.  Worse, this short cut is subject to a 60mph limit and is between two of the cameras.

Therefore someone could travel at 50mph along the C&F, turn off at Walker Barn accelerate up to the new limit of 60mph before rejoining the C&F at the pub.  The issue with this is that although that motorist would have at no time exceeded the speed limit, the average cameras would have recorded them as doing so.

Indeed, given the shorter distance and the higher speed, it could record this motorist at a speed of up to 67mph, which if they wanted to make an example, could be a court appearance!

This is an issue that has only very recently been raised and I mean to speak to Derbyshire CC to see what is intended to be done about it, if anything.                                                                                                                                                                              
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

nice one geoff but u deffo get the Geek glasses my friend   i bet they drop the short to 40 mph rather sorting it out properly                                                                                                                                                                             
Rob1050's Profile
Rob1050

In: Redditch

JP - didn't know that. I wonder if they've been changed / upgraded because the white line measures are still painted on the carriageways.                                                                                                                                                                              
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

Cheers WN .... I think lol!

You could be right about the 40mph suggestion or possibly a point closure or similar.  The ideal solution would be the installation of one or two more cameras and then running them as two separate systems, one to the west and one to the east.  But this would be very expensive.                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

whos side you on there geoff                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.6250 seconds. There are 848 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption