PM to investigate bike test debacle

12 Posts | Latest reply on 26/02/2010 06:47:13 by Cataraptor | Go to original / last post
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

DURING TODAY'S Prime Minister's Question Time, Gordon Brown gave his assurance an investigation would take place into why the number of trainee riders taking the motorcycle test has dropped by 62 per cent, since the introduction of the new-style regime in 2008.

Anne Main, Conservative MP for St.Albans, went on to question the Prime Minister what course of action the government would take to rectify the sharp rise in test failures, as well as the drop in candidates taking the test; Mrs Main informed Mr Brown the number of riders passing the new-style test had dropped by a staggering 58 per cent since 2008.

In response, the Prime Minister said: "I will ask the Transport Minister to look into this matter. It is important that we have a strong motorcycling industry in this country and it is important that the questions she (Mrs Main) has about the specifics of these tests be answered."

Many riders said the new-style bike test was a going to be a cock up and they've been proved right.

Wonder what the government will come up with next?
sdv9r's Profile
sdv9r

In: Skelmersdale
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Chariot racing round THE MALL sounds like one of there's LOL                                                                                                                                                                              
moonstone's Profile
moonstone

In: Redditch
3% Karma3% Karma 3% Karma3% Karma

has he been on another planet for I dunno how long?                                                                                                                                                                              
micksaway's Profile
micksaway

In: Weymouth

The government are going to look into it.   If you thought it was cocked up now just wait till they get finished at even more expence to tax payers                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

"Fifty thousand fewer riders took their test in the last eight months of 2009 than in the same period the previous year.The figure signals there has been no recovery from the impact of a new test introduced last April.Eighty-one thousand riders took the test in the last eight months of 2008. But in 2009 the figure was just 31,000, a fall of 62%.The number of riders to pass is just as worrying. In the last eight months of 2008 the figure was 53,000. In 2009 the number was 22,000, a fall of 58%"I love the way MCN can twist the figures lol!  Later in their own report they state that a spokesman from the DSA suggests that there was actually a surge in the number of people taking their test in the two years before the new one.  But MCN write this off saying this is nothing compared to the drop off in numbers since.But it could be suggested the drop off has been caused simply by many of those wishing to pass their test have already done so.Even if you look at the figures above, on the face of it simple statistics, they twist these as well.  They state a reduction of 58% in the numbers passing their test, clearly suggesting the new test is harder.  But if you compare numbers passing to those taking their tests; 81,000 in 2008 with 53,000 passing compared to 31,000 taking their test in 2009 and 22,000 passing, the percentage passing is 65% and 71% comparatively.  This actually suggests the new test is no harder at all.I love MCN lol.

Rob1050's Profile
Rob1050

Statistics and politicians (and possibly MCNLOL) never trust eitherUnhappy     And       "In response, the Prime Minister said: "I will ask the Transport Minister to look into this matter. It is important that we have a strong motorcycling industry in this country and it is important that the questions she (Mrs Main) has about the specifics of these tests be answered."   Sounds like a prepared answer if ever I heard one. Does anyone believe he even knew we had an industry ?Angry                                                                                                                                                                             
Holmfirthgirl's Profile
Holmfirthgirl

In: Larkfield

as per usual the governent will pay lip service to this & do absolutely nothing!   & who was it who said that 80% of stats are made up on the spot?                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

I can't remember HFG but it's apparently 76% likely to be true.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

In: NA

I would like to know the increase in the numbers taking thier test in the run up to the new test.   I myself know several who hurried up thier tests so that they would not have to do the new style as the old one was easier.                                                                                                                                                                                 
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

dft.gov.uk/adobepdf/162469/221412/221552/228173/517838/motorcyclingstats2009.pdf

dft document; Compendium of Motorcycling, Chart 1.4 shows the number of people taking their test and the pass rate for the last ten years.

This shows a fairly constant number of tests from April 98 through to end of March 08 followed by a surge of around 20,000 tests in 2008/2009.

It also shows an average pass rate of 65.6%.  With the new test having a pass rate of 71%, this would show statistically that the two tests are of similar "difficulty", although this could be put down to any improved rider training.                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

THE PROBLEM WITH STATISTICS WHEN USED IN AN ARGUEMENT...SORRY DEBATE IS THEY ARE oops caps lock not shouting honestly .... .......as I was saying LOUDLY they are used as a percentage and looking at the 'percentages in geoffs thread, it actually shows a rise in pass rates... ...........as we know this is only a percentage of total numbers ie you get a percentage if 10願 or 10 do it if you get my drift...... I would like to see the % rate of passes now if the same amount of learners were attempting the new test that were annually doing before the new crap came in.                                                                                                                                                                             
Cataraptor's Profile
Cataraptor

The Driving Standards Agency has always been difficult to deal with. The new test format is their 'gold-plating' the EU requirement and this combined with their being unable to deliver the number of test centres that they said they would and bad weather has led to so few people taking the new test. A friend in training described the motorcycle trade as being "on its arse". The problem that the Transport Minister has is that the DSA has had too much autonomy and the Department for Transport will not be able to bring it under control to sort out the current problem.

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.4531 seconds. There are 821 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption