Are we the last generation??

36 Posts | Latest reply on 11/02/2010 20:50:38 by Nutkin68 | Go to original / last post
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

In: Newton Aycliffe
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

The thread about bikes that aid cornering made me think that coupled with future plans to roll out average speed cameras over the whole country as well as lots more control measures, the government has realised that the only way to control the ever increasing congestion is to phase out our passion for cars, bikes and any other form of independent transport. I think it's fairly obvious with the roads filling up so rapidly with new vehicles every year and the obvious increasing number of accidents that go with it and the need for greener travel we'll end up being forced onto public transport of one sort or another in the next few decades. 
I've got a feeling our grandkids will see any form of transport as a means of getting from A-B and not something for pleasure as by then there'll be so many restrictions in place there won't be any pleasure left!
What do you think? Geek                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

cheer up rusty ....thats what i say !!!!                                                                                                                                                                              
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

In: Newton Aycliffe

LOL Ian i'm fine! Cry                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
67% Karma67% Karma 67% Karma67% Karma

I really hope you're wrong but somehow I think what you say seems about right.   With all the added criteria and constant hike in associated costs trying to get a pass on my bike test became impossible for me to continue.   The government try to keep unlicensed drivers off the road but all they are doing is making it nigh-on impossible for licensed folk to afford to keep on the road and making law breakers out of some folk.   They use road safety as an excuse to rob folk.   ...and don't get me started on public transport!! Maybe if it was more reliable and comfortable more folk would use it, but then the government wouldn't be able to fleece private transport users.   *passes soap box to next user*                                                                                                                                                                               
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

why do you think its so expensive to be on the road kwak...our bike is 170 quid fully comp to insure (1600 cc ), 65ish quid for 6 months road tax.....its quite good on fuel.....?? what do you mean ?                                                                                                                                                                               
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

I'm a learner Ian, or was til I quit, (also unemployed) therefore each time my CBT expired I had to PAY again to get another one, also pay again for practical test and towards the end I had to hire a bike to take my last test cos I'd sold my bike before it died completely.    I rode all-year round for 3 yrs without one accident and yet nerves got the better of me on test day. Only myself to blame for not passing the test but even if I passed first time I'd still say the criteria is far higher than the driving conditions on the road. Never mind bikers being continually monitored it's about time the test criteria matched the way people drive on the roads today.     This topic always upsets me.                                                                                                                                                                               
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

i feel for you kwak, but its still not expensive to be on the road whether your on a 50cc or 1600cc....you would still be on the road on a 125 and have fun                                                                                                                                                                              
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

It may not be expensive to you but I only get £64 a week to pay for food, toiletries, utility bills and transport costs, there isn't anything left to even pay for a spark plug never mind all the associated costs of keeping a bike on the road.  I don't get to see my mum as it costs about £10 for me to get to hers, it's a choice between eating and travelling.   I'm not asking for sympathy, just telling it how it is, so no need for anyone to tell me to look on the bright side, or think positive cos neither of 'em helps.                                                                                                                                                                                 
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

its hard for all of us....                                                                                                                                                                              
drobess's Profile
drobess

In: Bedworth

My virago costs me as much to run as does me car, in fuel that is, saying that tho i would never give it up                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

how come drobs....you must be using it more than ya car as the running costs should be considerably lower ????

drobess's Profile
drobess

In: Bedworth

no Ian its the fuel costs, i get about the same outta the car as i do the bike, me 250 is cheaper to run tho and me insurance is cheaper than the car                                                                                                                                                                             
julie j's Profile
julie j

In: Harrogate

I agree with kwak, there is a big difference between motorcycling as a well off persons hobby or as a  a serious mode of transport for some one to get into motoring and gain some independence it used to be cheap to start riding a bike maybe to get to college or to your 1st job but i dont think that is an option for lots of young people today.A lot of people are on low wages with high housing costs and to get started with a car or a bike is just not possible, i get the impression that a lot of people about my age take up biking because they have always wanted to and maybe the mortgage is more manageable or kids have left home and so now they have the chance, who is it buying new bikes,its all people with good jobs and their own homes poss with a car as well. In my opinion it is eliteist, think of what you need to spend on all of the gear,training,security,how much is a decent set of tyres? my last set was £210, the ones for the car will prob cost about the same for 4!,so all in all i do think its expensive and i feel that as the years go by less and less people will be able to afford it, i also think new riders should stick to 125s for 2 years makes the test easier and i think cost less for training,but that is a different topic! but its a shame one way or another i do feel that we are the last generation,it`s a loss of freedom which will take the joy out of a lot of peoples lives.
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

either bike surely cant be more expensive on fuel than a car.....power to weight ratio etc, your bike should do loads more to the galleon

Sandi's Profile
Sandi

My virago costs me as much to run as does me car, in fuel that is, saying that tho i would never give it up   I didn't have any choice, I hope you're never in that position but who knows what wil happen. If I had a choice I'd never have given up but a bike's no good to me if I die of starvation lol                                                                                                                                                                                
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

over and out on this one...shamless on is channel 4 plus 1 hour....                                                                                                                                                                              
julie j's Profile
julie j

In: Harrogate

Ian, its not just the running cost you dont mention how much your lovely 1600cc bike is worth??? pretty much out of the reach of most people im guessing and do you run another vehicle too? lots of people struggle to run the family car so i would say those of us who have both should consider ourselves very lucky to have had the opportunities in life to be able to afford that and not tell those that dont have any transport due to cost that its cheap to run a bike!   p.s def not having a go at anyone!!!                                                                                                                                                                              
anneka56's Profile
anneka56

In: Stockport

i was running  a Surf 4x4 and  have to make the decision  that it  is cheaper for  me to get a bus  to work  than tax,insure and MOT  it   because  i can't afford to  take it anywhere else  when i am not at work
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

pm sent julie                                                                                                                                                                              
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

In: Near Driffield

i think your missing terrys piont he was saying that we will be priced off the road not that we are at the moment the big brother lot are trying to get rid of our free dome for sure and yes we could well be the last genaration to be free to put our foot down         oh and ian maybe you got what you paid for buddy LOL                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7813 seconds. There are 1559 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption