what size sproket

34 Posts | Latest reply on 26/02/2010 14:14:51 by WheelyNealy | Go to original / last post
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

In: Near Driffield
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

my triumph daytona has a 17 inch rear wheel  it should be an 18 inch when built should i have one tooth smaller sproket on the rear to compensate for the smaller wheel any body know ? Confused                                                                                                                                                                              
babyharley's Profile
babyharley

In: Nottingham
10% Karma10% Karma 10% Karma10% Karma

no but I know a man who will...............Ill direct him towards this topic WN and no doubt he'll contact you Wink                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

thank you kind lady Thumbs Up i just didnt want to loose any more sleep over this taxing problem any longer you know
Nutkin68's Profile
Nutkin68

In: Hull

Well done BH, I've had a look on the net for WN but no luck - hope you get it sorted nealy                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

thanks nutty one i will im sure some cleaver peeps on here you know and some erm lovely peeps too                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

the reason im asking about this topic is because my bike dont seem as quick as i thought it would be maybe im just use to going to quick  i dont know but thought id ask ?                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

A really big one is the answer.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

surely wn the bike is fast enough ?..just asking                                                                                                                                                                              
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

hay geoff wouldnt it pull monster wheelies if i put a bigger one on it ?   and its more a case of driverbilty ian                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

the bigger the rear sprocket the faster it wll pull off.......but you will lose top end, smaller rear sprocket will give you more top end but less accelaration.                                                                                                                                                                             
whiteairedfox's Profile
whiteairedfox

In: liverpool

wn really depends on what you want out of the bike? top speed or grunt?maybe the gearbox  sprocket needs a tooth down or maybe up,up to u really,but the triumph is pretty dam quick anyway isnt it?good luck with your findings,edd                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

can any one lend me some sprokets so i can experiment ? Wink chers guys                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

sorry buddy mine is a shafty                                                                                                                                                                             
moonstone's Profile
moonstone

In: Redditch
3% Karma3% Karma 3% Karma3% Karma

So the bigger the wheels the faster the bike?Confused                                                                                                                                                                              
micksaway's Profile
micksaway

In: Weymouth

Depends on gearing Moon Look at a push bike the smaller the back cog or bigger the front cog the faster top end but slower acceleration.   bigger wheels will be faster in a straight line but harder to steer                                                                                                                                                                              
Rob1050's Profile
Rob1050

If the wheel is smaller than standard, isn't the gearing effectively lowered ? Therefore you'll need a smaller rear sprocket to raise it back to standard again. Not sure by how many teeth tho.   p.s. You a member on TriumphTorque, someone there's bound to know ?                                                                                                                                                                             
Rob1050's Profile
Rob1050

p.p.s. Won't a smaller rear wheel, lower the back end slightly and thus have an effect on the steering geometry ?                                                                                                                                                                             
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

In: Birmingham in th

It will make the trail slightly longer but fractionly shorten distance between tyre contact points. which would probably cancel each other out. was the sprocket the original for the bike or a smaller one to change the gearing for the smaller wheel.   I see no advantage in putting a smaller back wheel in unless your a short arse. surely  you'd put one in the front as well. Geek                                                                                                                                                                             
Rob1050's Profile
Rob1050

I don't think it'll alter the contact points. The spindle position hasn't altered.   Guessing the wheel is from a later model, Super III maybeErmm                                                                                                                                                                             
sdv9r's Profile
sdv9r

In: Skelmersdale

Changing to a smaller rear wheel will reduce top speed so smaller rear sprocket will return its original speed, its about 1.05 less that you need so just drop one tooth and its going to be fine.

If the rear spindle has not moved then the wheel base will be constant but it will interfere with the rake and trail of the bike and the overall contact of the tyres, meaning lowering the rear will make the bike steer a little slower and feel a little vague the faster you ride, to compensate lowering the front will help. Caution this might have already been done.

It's a bit like having a heavy pillion and luggage it screws up the handling a little.

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7031 seconds. There are 801 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption