Drink drive limit set to be lowered

30 Posts | Latest reply on 17/01/2010 21:37:26 by wnick88 | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

"Serious head on for once" There is no room for that argument now BJ. I think if someone is of the mindset to ignore the current limits they sure as hell wont take notice of a new lower one. Having said that, have any true and accurate figures been released regarding injuries caused by drivers who have had a drink but are still under the current limit. I can see the argument that any alchohol has an effect on reactions. But how far do you go...Driving with a cold has an effect on driving...its a well known fact that if you sneeze you have to close your eyes..how far do you travell at 70 mph when you do that ? Its a difficult and emotive issue for sure...I dont think there is a simple answer.....and what about driving under the influence of drugs, both illegal and prescribed ones. Although I also think anyone who has lost a loved one at the hands of a drunk driver would have a strong and compelling case.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

The Blood Alcohol Levels 0.0 mg per ml– Estonia, Malta, Romania, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Hungary 0.2 mg per ml– Norway, Poland, Sweden 0.4 mg per ml- Lithuania 0.5 mg per ml- Belgium, Bulgaria, Denmark, Germany (Germany is 0.3 if you’re in an accident), Finland, France, Greece, Italy, Serbia/Montenegro, Croatia, Latvia, Macedonia, Netherlands, Austria, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey, Cyprus (North) 0.8 mg per ml– UK, Ireland, Luxembourg, Switzerland 0.9 mg per mlCyprus (South)                                                                                                                                                                              
Wannabe's Profile
Wannabe

In: Dartford

The Northern Cyprus one's a giggle... My Dad refused another drink when we were out for dinner there and the restaurateur couldn't believe his ears. In fits of giggles, he decided that British people must really suffer if we weren't permitted a 2nd drink when driving, poured another large one and said "It's a straight road. My brother and I will watch you drive home and we'll come and pull you out of the ditch if necessary" LOL

Let's stick to enforcement of the current limits. Reducing the limits will have naff all effect on those who already drink and drive.

You don't need spot checks for uninsured these days. Cameras do it automatically. I know! (I didn't know the tossers had cancelled my insurance for late payment though! LOL Took me 3 months to get them to even admit that I HAD paid for my insurance - way too late to prevent the police/dvla action unfortunately) Impounded motor, 6 points and a fine tyvm.
darkcarnival's Profile
darkcarnival

In: Blackburn
33% Karma33% Karma 33% Karma33% Karma

Having a limit gives people a choice. Isnt that what everyone wants? Surely saying you cant do this, you cant do that would have people up in arms. I dont condone drink driving at all, same as i dont condone using mobiles while driving etc, but at the end of the day, we all have a choice. If you choose to flout them, then its you that has to live with the consequences, be it points on yr licence or living with the fact you killed someone. The police can only do so much, with very limited resources. They do the best job they can, but with ever decreasing budgets set by the government, their hands are tied. Have a look at your local forces website, find out how big your local police's area is, then ring up on an evening/night and ask exactly how many bobbies are out on patrol....you will be very very surprised!                                                                                                                                                                             
Bloggsey's Profile
Bloggsey

In: Leeds

Sorry but I think zero tolerance sucks. Its just more of taking away our rights in an attempt to wrap everyone up in cotton wool apart from those who step on the cracks in the pavement who of course should all be banged up n the key thrown away.   And no I do not and never have driven whilst over the limit                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

There is always a choice to be had, but some people dont actually bother to find out what drinks contain what level therefore have no clue as to what takes them over the limit .............. which is what i am led to believe the no alcohol at all rule is about.   As a non drinker its all irrelevenat to me anyway, doesnt stop me being stopped and breathalised every xmas though LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Bloggsey's Profile
Bloggsey

In: Leeds

Yeah its about choice but a zero allowance is taking away everyones choices away. Surley it is something that a bit of education would help. At the moment there seem to be confusing opinions on the internet as to what you can and cant drink and that is not good. Someone mentioned half a pint yet as far as  was aware you are OK on 2 pints  (normal strength beer such as bitter at no more than 4.5 proof )(which obviously depends on how much blood you have in ya system, how fast you drink and your metabolic rate).                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Well it comes to a bugger when you carn't finish a good days riding with an ice cold pint of beer.                                                                                                                                                                             
nuttydriver's Profile
nuttydriver

In: Frome

Nothing wrong with having a drink, just not when you know you've gotta drive or ride, I enjoy a drink but have always stuck to my own rule, normally none but if I'm out for a meal 1 small (125ml) glass of wine with a meal and at least a couple of hours after drinking it before I go anywhere near a motor. I think your body removes around a unit of alchohol per hour but we are all different. One can of 5% larger is 1.8 units, more or less the limit !!!, worth bearing in mind if you have a few beers the night before you drive, you will more than likely still be over the limit and not safe on the road. More stop checks is the answer, as has already been said not just at xmas, the more chance of being caught the less people will take the chance.                                                                                                                                                                             
wnick88's Profile
wnick88

In: Somewhere

To be honest, I think the rule should be 0 alcohol in your system. It won't stop committed offenders, but if someone now had a drink they could accidentally slip over the limit, whereas with a 0 limit, there's no excuses.                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.5313 seconds. There are 1268 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption