Drink drive limit set to be lowered

30 Posts | Latest reply on 17/01/2010 21:37:26 by wnick88 | Go to original / last post
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

NEW ROAD road safety legislation announced yesterday could reduce the drink-drive limit to the equivalent of one pint of beer, or half a glass of wine.

The plans, announced by Transport Secretary Lord Adonis, could also see the implementation of a new drug-drive limit. The current drink limit is 80mg of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood. Exceeding the limit incurs an automatic 12-month driving ban.

“To reduce drink and drug-driving accidents, there may be a case for further strengthening the law,” said Lord Adonis. “I have appointed Sir Peter North to provide me with independent advice on lowering the drink-drive limit and tackling drug-driving through a new offence.”

Sir Peter will report his findings to Lord Adonis by the end of March.
46Rossi's Profile
46Rossi

In: Bridlington
29% Karma29% Karma 29% Karma29% Karma

I think you shouldn't take in any alcohol if you intend to drive - the only problem is the blood level the morning after, and the time it takes to metabolise alcohol.

There should be more education about this.

Abstinence is the key, if you intend to take control of a vehicle and use the public roads.
Cataraptor's Profile
Cataraptor

In: Redditch
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

It seems a bit pointless to me reducing the limit when the fuzz don't enforce the current one - except at Christmas and for the odd Summer 'crack down'. There's too much emphasis on automated enforcement and not enough on proper road policing.

The morning after is a problem and as Rossi says should be subject to more education about how long it takes for the alcohol level in the blood to fall to a legal limit.

While abstinence is the ideal, it's not always practical especially when drinking the day or night before so a zero limit is impossible for anyone who drinks at all or even those who don't.
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

In: NA

IMO ... should be lowered to 0 ...   Any alcohol whilst driving/riding is too much.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

it should be zero.........zero tolerance                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

I agree none is the only way to be sure                                                                                                                                                                               
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

definately.....no worries then....                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

everybodies tolerance level is different so none would make it a fair playing field                                                                                                                                                                               
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

plus even if you had 1 beer then caused a accident....you would always be wondering...what if i had not had a drop, why not just ban drink driving altogether                                                                                                                                                                             
Cataraptor's Profile
Cataraptor

In: Redditch

Because the body produces a certain amount of alcohol without any drink taken so 0% is impractical and would end up in teatotallers being banned. We need to enforce the existing limits properly before lowering them.                                                                                                                                                                              
julie j's Profile
julie j

In: Harrogate

does anyone know what the limits are in other european countries?   i have to agree with the majority that zero tolerance is the way to go.                                                                                                                                                                             
Nutkin68's Profile
Nutkin68

In: Hull

Cat wrote: The morning after is a problem and as Rossi says should be subject to more education about how long it takes for the alcohol level in the blood to fall to a legal limit.    education is the key, however we are all different heights, builds, men, women so how safe would even this be ?   Abstinence is definately the way to go                                                                                                                                                                             
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

In: Newton Aycliffe

Well I never ever drink and drive but I do enjoy having one pint to refresh my thirst in the summer. Zero tolerance as Cata quite rightly pointed out is impossible so we have a limit that's a couple of pints or less and just needs to be enforced as we're doing now. Reducing the limit to zero or thereabouts will have no effect whatsoever on drink drivers. If they know they're over the limit what difference does by how much really make?

Only my opinion of course Wink                                                                                                                                                                             
julie j's Profile
julie j

In my opinion it just takes away the excuse of,well i thought i was under.......                                                                                                                                                                              
Nutkin68's Profile
Nutkin68

well said Julie Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

In: Newton Aycliffe

Nail on the head julie but if they're over they get done no matter what the excuse. Police would never let anyone off with a load of bo**ocks like that anyway so their intention is irrelevant, they're over and thats that!

julie j's Profile
julie j

I think lots more spot checks are in order just generally, for uninsured or stolen vehicles etc.                                                                                                                                                                             
Nutkin68's Profile
Nutkin68

sign of the time's Julie I guess....                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I agree with RK.... Whats the point in lowering it if people ignore the current limit. Enforcement of the current limit should be the first priority......                                                                                                                                                                               
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

Surely if there is a blanket of no alcohol at all then there is no room for doubt or bravedo with the well i can drink 20 pints and still stand up straight argument                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.9844 seconds. There are 1046 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption