New Era for MotoGP as 1000cc Returns in 2012

15 Posts | Latest reply on 15/12/2009 18:47:08 by sdv9r | Go to original / last post
46Rossi's Profile
46Rossi

In: Bridlington
30% Karma30% Karma 30% Karma30% Karma

Valentino Rossi has got his wish – the maximum engine capacity for MotoGP will return to 1,000cc from 2012 onwards, ending the era of what the Yamaha star has in the past described as 'the biggest mistake the world championship has made in the last 15 years'. The announcement was made following a reunion of the Grand Prix Commission at the Geneva headquarters of governing body the FIM to discuss the future of MotoGP, assembling leading representatives from commercial and television rights-holder Dorna and the Motorcycle Sports Manufacturers' Association (MSMA).     After the maximum engine capacity was reduced from 990cc to 800cc two years ago – replacing the highly successful four-stroke regulations that had been introduced back in 2002 in place of the two-stroke 500cc – the decision has now been taken to practically reverse that step. The rules will continue to adhere to the four-stroke, unlimited cylinders 800cc variant in 2010 and 2011, with a maximum usage of six engines per rider next season and two extra engines available to each manufacturer for 'wild card' entries.     “It was a very important meeting to decide the future of the MotoGP class,” explained Dorna chairman Carmelo Ezpeleta, quoted on motogp.com. “From 2012 the bikes will have an engine capacity of up to 1,000cc, have up to four cylinders and the maximum bore will be 81mm.     “It's a very important measurement, because with this we can have all the characteristics of the engine. This has been approved, and between now and the start of the 2010 season we will have another two meetings to define the rest of the specifications for this new class.”     “The main changes we have decided on are new rules for the MotoGP class,” added FIM President Vito Ippolito. “We will have four-cylinder engines, four-stroke of course, with a 1,000cc maximum. This base will give all the manufacturers the opportunity to start work. At the beginning of next year we will produce the new rules in a more complete format, but that is the basis. 2012 will be the year of a new era of MotoGP.”     Last week, record-breaking multiple MotoGP Champion Rossi stated that if the rule-making was up to him, he would 'return MotoGP to 1,000cc and remove 70 per cent of the electronics' in an effort to place the focus more upon talent than technology   (is this better Matt ?? lol)                                                                                                                                                                             
Holmfirthgirl's Profile
Holmfirthgirl

In: Larkfield
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

wish they'd make their minds up - BUT about bl**dy time imo Thumbs Up Now what we want is more bikes on the grid! & yep I would agree with Rossi about less electronics!                                                                                                                                                                             
Rob1050's Profile
Rob1050

In: Redditch

Good news, not sure about that 6 engines / rider tho. This is supposed to be racing, not an economy runUnhappy It could certainly have an impact on the results, particularly later in the season.                                                                                                                                                                             
timhall's Profile
timhall

In: LOWER DUNSFORTH

On the subect of econamy runs, has the 21lt fuel been lifted aswell?                                                                                                                                                                             
sdv9r's Profile
sdv9r

In: Skelmersdale

I agree with 1000cc and no electronics, and it should stay as a prototype class with Saturday  practice and qualifying race only sunday, and 10 litre fuel tanks  so we can see splash and dash fuel stops and a change of tyres to increase the spectacle.

The powers that be have tried to turn MOTOGP into 2 wheeled F1 and its not working. WSB will take over if they don't watch out because the rules keep things more even and the manufacturer of whatever bike can sell it on the high street.

Lets hope its more interesting next year because after watching WSS it has been dull in places.    
Holmfirthgirl's Profile
Holmfirthgirl

I have to agree with ya there SD - I was starting to get a tad bored with MotoGP & MUCH prefer WSB & BSB - more excitement, closer racing & more bikes on the track! & yep before anyone says it - there were SOME close races in MotoGP this year . Big smile       PS - only 16 weeks tro go to the first race of the season - BSB @ Brands....not that I'm counting or anything Big smile                                                                                                                                                                             
46Rossi's Profile
46Rossi

All well and good about preferring WSB an BSB but there's a snippet   of a flaw with those races................................................           MY BABY ROSSI DOESN'T RACE FOR WSB OR BSB !!!!!!!   LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL                                                                                                                                                                                 
Rob1050's Profile
Rob1050

"10 litre fuel tanks  so we can see splash and dash fuel stops and a change of tyres to increase the spectacle."     Nonononononononononononononononono   F1 is won / lost in the pits. And is utterly cr*p because of itAngry   MotoGP is about seeing who is faster on track. long may that continue.                                                                                                                                                                             
sdv9r's Profile
sdv9r

Come on Rob check history some of the oldest and best racing has pit stops, also its about man and machine against the next man and machine...if you want to see who's fastest go to a drag race or a sprint race.                                                                                                                                                                              
Rob1050's Profile
Rob1050

Gonna have to agree to disagree.   Pitstops may be an integral part of endurance racing, or even longer races, such as the TT, but keep MotoGP on track.   Whatever Bernie Ecclestone might claim, that's where the action should take place.                                                                                                                                                                             
Holmfirthgirl's Profile
Holmfirthgirl

must admit - I agree with Rob on this one - for MotoGP, WSB & BSB - just keep it to no pitstops - although it does get quite exciting when they come in for new bikes when it's wet - BUT I don't think I'd want it to go any further than that.                                                                                                                                                                             
46Rossi's Profile
46Rossi

Pit stops will just mess everything up - and you don't need it on circuit racing like that - on the TT, yeah cause of the miles involved, and they aren't racing real time anyway there so it's not as damaging to the race.   I HATE that rule to come in for new bikes in the wet - it's soooooooo dangerous having them out on track on the wrong tyres, it frightens the life outta me!!!   They need to revert to red flag and aggregate times in unsuitable conditions!!!!!!   It's gonna end in tears one year - mark my words !!   Shocked                                                                                                                                                                             
Holmfirthgirl's Profile
Holmfirthgirl

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Not aggregate times!!!!!! did my bleedin' head in that one!!! LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
46Rossi's Profile
46Rossi

Better than binning it on the wrong tyres and injuring themselves !!!!   It was a pain, but best of two evils eh ? Smile                                                                                                                                                                             
sdv9r's Profile
sdv9r

Aggregate times are a pain and I've seen many arguments after a race with most riders very unhappy, all races should be flag to flag with the rider deciding slicks or wets at any given time unless circuit safety is an issue and if it doesn't work out no doubt the rider will have the ( I HAD SOME KIND OF ELECTRICAL PROBLEM) in his arsenal to give the disappointed fans and awaiting press...

But i still think 10 liter tanks will make the bikes lighter and easier to use and give the race a different edge such as the Daytona 200  Imola 100 and F750 which where and are great to watch due to tactical aspect of do the lead riders pit together or separate to gain advantage of traffic, weather conditions etc etc.

Im not saying make them like and endurance event at all but if you have been in or near or seen the pits when there's a change over happening its very exciting because so much can go wrong.

Funny don't ya think how Rossi has change the style of GP bike thinking  to high mid corner speed machines not the old point and squirt types they use to be.....and now the 250 style guys have caught him up he wants rule changes back to muscling hard to handle point and squirt style of the past....hmmm you just cant keep a good Italian down under sport!!!.....gerday mate.

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.5781 seconds. There are 1111 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption