Biker Jailed After 166mph Speeding Ticket

25 Posts | Latest reply on 03/11/2009 13:08:38 by Brummie Jackie | Go to original / last post
TeeCee's Profile
TeeCee

In: Blair Atholl
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Sky News 2009 Yesterday, 03:47 pm   A biker has been jailed after police recorded him driving at 166mph in Scotland earlier this year. The judge handed a nine month sentence and five year driving ban to Neil Purves, after he admitted to a charge of dangerous driving. Police were alerted to his speed by the "high-pitched engine noise" of the 27-year-old's motorbike as he drove down the A702 in Peeblesshire on May 13. A veteran officer who arrested Purves was "shocked" by the "excessively high speed" achieved by the speeding motorist. The prosecutor, Alastair Learmonth, told the court: "The speed libelled (charged) of 166mph is thought to be the highest speed recorded on a public road in Scotland." The hairdresser's lawyer tried to argue that he did not deserve a custodial sentence. Graham Walker claimed that his client was "seduced by the power of his high speed bike" and is "normally a mature and reasonable man". He said that it was clear no other vehicles were either using or parked on the road at the time he was clocked at 166mph. "I think it's fair to say the level of risk that the public were subjected to was very low but there was considerable danger, I think, to the accused himself." However Sheriff John Horsburgh told Purves: "The speed at which you were driving this motorcycle makes a custodial sentence the only appropriate one." But the jail term was reduced from 12 months after he pleaded guilty to the charge.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

how the laws differ, my best friend was pulled by two police one marked one unmarked on the a46 in leicestershire at speeds excessing 130mph on hid zx 10.......he got a 5 week ban and a 200 pound fine !!!!!                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
91% Karma91% Karma 91% Karma91% Karma

Not sure i agree with that different counties can have there own rules and stuff regarding speeding and traffic policing in general, surely everybody shoudl follow the same Confused                                                                                                                                                                             
Rob1050's Profile
Rob1050

In: Redditch

Certainly need some consistancy and appropriate sentencing.   At that speed they were bound to throw the bok at him, but you'd get less for some violent crimes, which can't be right.Unhappy                                                                                                                                                                             
ghosthunter's Profile
ghosthunter

In: Hinckley

nail on head there Rob. I'm off to fiddle with a choir, bound to get off light there                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

LOL @ Ghost LOL   He'd have got life if he'd robbed a bank!! and probably community service if he'd killed someone.   Why is MONEY considered more valuable than people? It's only PAPER FGS!!                                                                                                                                                                                 
micksaway's Profile
micksaway

In: Weymouth

Another victimless crime that looks good for the media   If he had been a drug dealer who nicked the bike to do runner he would have been put in a program to educate him                                                                                                                                                                             
drobess's Profile
drobess

In: Bedworth

I cant understandd why peeps feel the need to ride/drive at these sort of speeds, why put yrself and others in danger??                                                                                                                                                                             
micksaway's Profile
micksaway

Dont Knock it till youve tried it. Not all of us want to live in cotton wool world                                                                                                                                                                             
excalibur's Profile
excalibur

In: york

Just dont blame the bike!I understand his attorney is paid to defend him but his argument is pretty stupid.This guy is a speed freak and good for him admitting guilty as charged,i just hope he's learned a lesson as there are trackdays for these adrenaline junkies..as Rusty says in another thread "the right hand controls your speed"
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

its your right wrist that turns the throttle....its not the bikes fault.....i ride one of the fastest bikes on the road......but i just enjoy its power to overtake when needed without difficulty...the amazing brakes......but i have never been silly speeds on it...
drobess's Profile
drobess

In: Bedworth

mick........if i wrapped meself in cottonwool i wouldnt be riding a bike would I !!!!!!!!! Also as ex says, there are track days so the high speeds should be done there not on the roads                                                                                                                                                                             
micksaway's Profile
micksaway

Wasn,t Having go at you Drob Just the state of this over regulated country.   Ofcourse doing 166 in a built up area or busy road would be stupid but on an empty road whats the harm.   I Learn to drive in Germany and there is no restriction to speed. If you tried doing that sort of speed in an urban section you would be pulled for dangerous driving.                                                                                                                                                                                 
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

A motorcyclist jailed this week for speeding at 166mph on a 60mph road in Scotland plans to appeal against his nine-month sentence, his lawyer said. Neil Purves, 27 was caught in May on his Suzuki GSX-R1000 on an empty stretch of the A702 known as the Dolphinton Straight, near West Linton, Peeblesshire. He was given a five-year driving ban on top of his nine-month jail sentence at Peebles Sheriff Court after admitting dangerous driving. The jail term is the same as that given to a woman last year for killing a motorcyclist and injuring his son by driving carelessly and without a licence or insurance. Purves’ defence lawyer Graham Walker said: “He has launched an appeal against the sentence and we’re certainly determined to follow that through for him.” Walker had told the court: "No other vehicles were using the road at the time nor were any cars parked nearby. "I think it's fair to say the level of risk that the public were subjected to was very low but there was considerable danger to the accused himself." Purves is thought to be the Scotland’s fastest ever speeder.                                                                                                                                                                               
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

Not sure about anybout anybody else but i think the very last sentence could be like a red rag to a bull to the wrong person !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!                                                                                                                                                                              
Rob1050's Profile
Rob1050

In: Redditch

At that speed, I doubt anyone will show any sympathy, but he has a point about the relative sentencing.                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

I agree Rob but do think that sometimes sentencing does get a wee bit weird and wonderful                                                                                                                                                                              
Hull750Rider's Profile
Hull750Rider

In: Hull
9% Karma9% Karma 9% Karma9% Karma

It's anti biking of that particular judge (well compaired to the stupid b-tch who killed a biker and got nigh on the same treatment!) Yeah he did wrong and he luckily was not stupid enough to say not guilty, but a jail sentence as well as a 5 year ban FFS, I'm glad I've got a slow bike and I live in England Confused.   Just a small point about the speed he got caught at! Red rag to a bull nope I doubt anyone wants to risk getting a 10 year ban and his sentance being life just to prove he/she can get CAUGHT at over 166 mph, in reality we can expect someone in Scotland has got away with faster than that speed! Just by law of averages!                                                                                                                                                                             
micksaway's Profile
micksaway

If you dont have licence in the first place dont think a ban is going to worry you to much   As the god botherers woul say.   Let he without sin cast the first stone.   Jails are ment to be for dangerous criminals not fit to be at large in society and if the guys been banned not likely hes going to reoffend any time soon                                                                                                                                                                              
excalibur's Profile
excalibur

In: york

Agree with most comments on this story re. his sentence being harsh due to the fact he was caught in time,however if he lost control and wiped out a innocent pedestrian or 'worse case scenario' a family,what would our comments have been then?.

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.8008 seconds. There are 972 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption