Road positioning - whats your preference ???

39 Posts | Latest reply on 05/12/2009 20:22:37 by vinnie | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

right heres one for ya, on the way to open a safe today near Daventry, i went round a round about and three police bikes were behind me, maybe training i dont know, but on a long straight in the road they tucked in about 2 ft from the kirb whilst riding, now i prefer to be 3/4 across the road in the vision of the offside mirror of the car in front..........so whats your preference and why ?????????
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

In: Newton Aycliffe

Ian I prefer to 'wander' between the centre and the offside to make sure they've seen me in at least one of their mirrors and it also tends to spook them into moving left a bit once they notice i'm there Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                              
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

In: Near Driffield

on it preff                                                                                                                                                                              
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

i tend to follow there off side waiting to pass to honist                                                                                                                                                                             
drobess's Profile
drobess

In: Bedworth

im the same as you Ian                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

but thats in the white van manLOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

I must admit it was quite weird seeing the police riders so close to the kirb, cause i will be honest they were that close that if i was behind them in my van i would of probably overtook them !!!!                                                                                                                                                                             
cissystar650's Profile
cissystar650

In: Hook

Same as you Ian... when I did my test, they called it a "dominant road position"... and I stick to it.                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

defencesive riding when i were a lad                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

it frighten the hell outa me when i see mopeds and scoots in the kirb what are they teaching them now days ?                                                                                                                                                                             
Paj1369's Profile
Paj1369

In: Pickering (York)
14% Karma14% Karma 14% Karma14% Karma

About 2 foot off the line, right behind tin boxes mirrors so they see me, and maybe get over a bit too. Also more warning of anything furry bolting out of the nearside on early morning rides!!                                                                                                                                                                              
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
91% Karma91% Karma 91% Karma91% Karma

I prefer to be on rumble strips ................. keeps me smiling if nowt else lol                                                                                                                                                                              
Nutkin68's Profile
Nutkin68

In: Hull

Paj said: Also more warning of anything furry bolting out of the nearside on early morning rides!!    Thanks for thinking about my woodland creatures army Paj !!Thumbs UpLOL                                                                                                                                                                             
darkcarnival's Profile
darkcarnival

In: Blackburn
33% Karma33% Karma 33% Karma33% Karma

Depends on the road. I ride wherever gives me the maximum view, but then i do ride with a policeman Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

DC may have hit the nail on the head here.  The coppers may well have been over towards the left because that's where they had the best view.   I move about all over the lane (and sometimes the other lane) in order to get the best view I can.                                                                                                                                                                             
Phil's Profile
Phil

In: Liverpool

My favoured position is right of centrer (Ian's 3/4 across the lane) so I dominate my lane. gives me on average the best view of the road due to the height of my bike and my me. i find if i sit right of centre then i am generally visible in both rear view and offside mirror. I do move over to left of center too just so that the car drivers don't get accustomed to seeing past me and this not seeing me. Like DC i do a lot of riding with the police so i have picked up a few of their traits.                                                                                                                                                                             
excalibur's Profile
excalibur

In: york

depending on my speed , if close to a car..right of center if further behind..center , this also depends on cars behind me if they can/want to overtake left of center.It varies all the time                                                                                                                                                                              
Hull750Rider's Profile
Hull750Rider

In: Hull
9% Karma9% Karma 9% Karma9% Karma

I tend to use the road as it presents it's self, 3/4 to 4/5's accross on straight roads but move around to get a better through view on left and right hand corners, cops tend to be more defencive riders than any other rider, so use the same "sort of" riding I do but their's is a taught system (called "The System") funnily enough lol.
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
61% Karma61% Karma 61% Karma61% Karma

Geoffs right you have to move about a bit to see whats in front but try to keep in line or to outside of vehicles of side wheels, if you can see the driver in his door mirror he can see you, dont position yourself in between cars wheels, if anythings on the road drivers avoid it with there wheels and it may come out under the car to late for you to avoid
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

i dont look at the rd to busy looking at the speedo!                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.8906 seconds. There are 594 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption