Violence link to kids who eat sweets

19 Posts | Latest reply on 02/10/2009 23:49:56 by Sandi | Go to original / last post
TeeCee's Profile
TeeCee

In: Blair Atholl
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Another amazing piece of research..... who funds these things??   Eating sweets every day in childhood increases adult aggression, according to new research.   The study, published in the October issue of the British Journal of Psychiatry, is the first to examine the long-term effects of childhood diet on adult violence. Analysis found that 10-year-olds who ate confectionery daily were significantly more likely to have been convicted for violence between the ages of 29 and 34. Researchers from Cardiff University found that 69 per cent of the participants who were violent at that age had eaten sweets and chocolate nearly every day during childhood, compared to 42 per cent who were non-violent. This link between confectionery consumption and violence remained after controlling other factors. Lead researcher Dr Simon Moore said: "Our favoured explanation is that giving children sweets and chocolate regularly may stop them learning how to wait to obtain something they want. Not being able to defer gratification may push them towards more impulsive behaviour, which is strongly associated with delinquency." Almost 17,500 people were questioned in the 1970 British Cohort Study.                                                                                                                                                                             
vinnie's Profile
vinnie

In: Harrogate

Probably the same people who were going to fund a research project in America to find out that if by cutting the tails off mice they could eventually produce a breed of tailless mice.

That is until somebody pointed out that certain religions have been doing a similar sort of thing for thousands of years with no appreciable results.
TeeCee's Profile
TeeCee

Fantastic!   I think my favourite research was a study to see if ants suffer from headaches... apparently they do... *shrugs shoulders*                                                                                                                                                                             
excalibur's Profile
excalibur

In: york

Sweets=sugar=energy ..but why it only surfaces as an adult in a violent manner escapes me , growing up in a diabetic household i never had much exposure to sweets.                                                                                                                                                                              
bikerchick1966's Profile
bikerchick1966

In: Derby

We only had sweets as a rare treat...and I have brought my children up the same....otherwise they would not be healthy happy girls!

I must say Cola...does the trick it sends my girls into a right hyper mode...

moonstone's Profile
moonstone

In: Redditch
3% Karma3% Karma 3% Karma3% Karma

anything fizzy affects the brain and my bladder!                                                                                                                                                                             
diamondsabre's Profile
diamondsabre

In: kent

I think it has very little to do with the sweets given....... its prob more related to the parental attitudes and parenting style and attatchment.. or lack of!!!                                                                                                                                                                             
diamondsabre's Profile
diamondsabre

In: kent

I use to eat black jacks and fruit salads in abundance!! maybe that same research team could do a study on me???? wonder what that would reveal??? Wacko                                                                                                                                                                              
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
67% Karma67% Karma 67% Karma67% Karma

LOL D S it would reveal that you like black jacks and fruit salads.   PML @ a survey to find out if ants get headaches LOL   What next?!!   A link to violence in kids when adult? mm probably right, my son used to get hyper active if he drank fizzy pop so maybe there's some truth to it. Difficult to measure in my son (he's 24 now) cos he does get annoyed quick but he's young and his mother is short tempered lol   I can  understand the survey on the sweets/violence but why one on if ants get headaches, what they goina do, make paracetamol smaller? Confused LOL                                                                                                                                                                               
TeeCee's Profile
TeeCee

Maybe if the ants stopped eating sticky things they would feel better? *shrugs shoulders*                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

ROFL LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

Just seems like yet another excuse for kids unruly behaviour these days.

As for the ants, can you get paracetamol tablets that small ??

TeeCee's Profile
TeeCee

Maybe they use Anty-biotics....                                                                                                                                                                             
excalibur's Profile
excalibur

In: york

BJ the research points a finger at adult males , suppose we'll have sweet manufacturers spokesman up in arms over this lot soon. Who sponsors this lot anyway ffs                                                                                                                                                                              
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

If it's males it will be Uncle-biotics won't it?                                                                                                                                                                              
vinnie's Profile
vinnie

In: Harrogate

All these scientific studies with contradicting results.

Red wine is good for you.

Red wine is bad.

Eggs bad.

Eggs good.

Read a book called Global Warming And Other Bollocks and sleep easier at night.

Oh, and follow Aristotles advice - Everything in moderation - but a little bit of what you fancy does you good.

and as an observation, since the average global temperature has gone down since 1998 have you noticed when they're talking about these things that it's now referred to as Climate Change not Global Warming.

and if scientists cant't reliably predict what the weather is going to be like next week how can we trust their predictions on what it's going to be like in 50 years time.
TeeCee's Profile
TeeCee

Cheers Vinnie! Have just added that book to my Amazon Wish List...   My girlfriends brother (who is Polish and bears the weight of the World on his shoulders) is really worried about the Swine Flu Pandemic and the supposed enforced vaccinations and isolation camps! I keep showing him forecasts from 2006 talking about how the Bird Flu was going to wipe out huge parts of the population and how 'experts' predicted that the crematoriums would not be able to keep up with the number of fatalites and had indeed planned for inflatable mortuaries etc and that funeral ceremonies would need to be shortened.... and of course that all came true didn't it?                                                                                                                                                                             
TeeCee's Profile
TeeCee

*rolls eyes at Kwak* Ermm   LOL   ..erm, Kwak.. if you could pick up my eyes and roll them back I would be ever so grateful....                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

..erm, Kwak.. if you could pick up my eyes and roll them back I would be ever so grateful....   *rolls eyes back at TeeCee, with a note attached, 'don't forget to dust 'em'* LOL                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7031 seconds. There are 507 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption