Why are gears the way they are on a bike?

22 Posts | Latest reply on 26/09/2009 15:58:35 by limeninja9 | Go to original / last post
Bandit_Mr_P's Profile
Bandit_Mr_P

In: e.g.Hollingworth
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Don't forget the "Kawasaki Clunk" (tm) when selecting first gear!   Especially bad after the bike had stood for a while (i.e. an hour or more!)... Caused by the clutch plates sticking together, and often causing a lurch forward and stall if not careful.   You can always tell a Kawasaki owner... engine stopped, 1st gear engaged, rocking the bike backwards and forwards "freeing" the clutch before even contemplating starting the Censored sorry "Darling" bike! LOL   Happy memories!  (NOT) Big smile                                                                                                                                                                             
limeninja9's Profile
limeninja9

In: Liverpool
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

The only sensible place for neutral in a sequential box is next to the gears you are likely to select it from. First or second. Simple, common sense engineering development.

Kawasaki clunk? Is that like Honda clunk, or any manufacturer clunk? That warrants further explanation. It happens as the oil is thick when the engine is cold. That thickness will cause a greater drag and a small transfer of power through the clutch even though disengaged. This drag is always there but thicker oil increases it. It will be increased when warm if the clutch is worn, incorrectly adjusted, plates warped or broken, chain adjustment incorrect etc. To prevent it you need to maintain the bike and replace anything worn or broken. Yes, some will always do it more than others. Try supporting back wheel off the ground (whether centre stand or paddock) and start the engine from cold. The back wheel may spin due to this small transfer of power. If not you can spin the wheel yourself either way and sometimes feel a greater resistance against the direction the wheel normally turns.

I have never had a bike jump forward on start up. Mostly as I would be in neutral. Which is where I came in.

Anyway, I need some milk. Best running shoes on. That farmer has been in training. Tara!!!!!!

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.1250 seconds. There are 1039 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption