Why are gears the way they are on a bike?

22 Posts | Latest reply on 26/09/2009 15:58:35 by limeninja9 | Go to original / last post
Blueboy955i's Profile
Blueboy955i

In: Darlington
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Following Brummie Jackie's excellent and thought provoking thread about side stands, I thought I'd throw this thought around to see if anyone knew the answer.   Why do the gears on bikes go 1st, then Neutral, followed by 2nd, 3rd etc?   Why on Earth is neutral where it is and why don't the gears go Netural, then 1st, 2nd etc etc?   Secondly, why does my Trumpet always decide to go into netural all by itself when it's supposed to be in 2nd LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

arent some bikes different?  or are the all the same?

Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

In: NA

Ouch  You had to start her off again Blue LOL   But its a good point ... why is the bottom gear 1st ?                                                                                                                                                                             
dunans's Profile
dunans

In: southport

my fissie was 1 up 4 down i think. 1 down - 4 or 5 up makes sense 1st is most important to get right so u can keep stamping till u get it. am i right in thinking gears are down on racing bikes ?

Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
74% Karma74% Karma 74% Karma74% Karma

I can easily understand why neutral's between 1st and 2nd. 1st is really a gear for moving off rather than slowing down and it makes sense to have to option to go to neutral from 2nd.
As for up or down, or left foot vs right foot, I suppose it's just a matter of it always having been one way or the other.
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

In: Newton Aycliffe

dunans you're right about the fizzy and most other peds from that era but as far as modern/racing bikes go i've no idea why the gear pattern is the way it is Confused                                                                                                                                                                              
ghosthunter's Profile
ghosthunter

In: Hinckley

Some racers do indeed change their linkages around so down is up. This is so they can change gear while cranked over.....they don't have to hook their feet under the lever.                                                                                                                                                                             
dunans's Profile
dunans

In: southport

yeah thats what i thought ghost. ive seen threads on peeps doin it for track days so assume the gp bikes etc will be that way                                                                                                                                                                              
bikerchick1966's Profile
bikerchick1966

In: Derby

Thanks Ghosty I didnt know that little gem of information..I must admit I did wonder why neutral was in between 1st and 2nd...thanks Wills for explaining that one too.

My Mini V hated 1st gear...so she was a typical Honda and always clunked from 1st to 2nd no matter how gentle you was with the gear lever..typical Honda thing...

My Ruby...has 6 gears and sometimes I wish she had a 7th as she sounds like she is screaming at top end...I know you are going to say it is cool....lol

Paj1369's Profile
Paj1369

In: Pickering (York)
14% Karma14% Karma 14% Karma14% Karma

Dunno about the order of gears BB, but if yours is jumping out of 2nd, especially if it does it under load,.. get into the box and put  new 1st and 2nd cogs in,.. they'll be rounding on their edges. Old Pan Euros are a sod for it, and they wear the selector fork too.
Throttle Jockey's Profile
Throttle Jockey

In: Loughborough

I reversed my track bike gears so I could change whilst cranked over - its a proper arse clencher when you forget and go down the gears instead of up - I cant remember laughing at that mistake :-)                                                                                                                                                                             
pondlife's Profile
pondlife

In: Bristol

I hate to disagree but I had a fizzy when I was a yoblet and I am more than certain it only had four gears and they were all down. The suzy AP50 had five and that was a one down four up arrangement. I then had a Yammy DT175 which was one UP then five down but all the other bikes I've had seem to have been the one down then up variety
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

In: Newton Aycliffe

Not sure who you're dissagreeing with pond but the fizzy deffo had press down for up gears as dunans stated but you're right about only 4 gears and all down. Just didn't want to be too critical! LOL

I had a TS50ER and that was 1 up and 4 down, not that it ever had enuff power to get into top unless it was going over a cliff with the wind behind it!
mykul55's Profile
mykul55

In: Sileby, loughbor

Hope this helps, Neutral is centered. Push lever down to slide selector one way, then up to slide seletor the other way.

http://www.dansmc.com/powerpath1.jpg

prof's Profile
prof

In: Bradford
12% Karma12% Karma 12% Karma12% Karma

Until relatively recently British bikes (remember those) had right side changes, most were one down and three up but a number had one up and three down. I made some crunchy noises in India coping with Indian traffic while remembering the Enfield gear change was on the wrong side and worked upside down. I have to admit panic braking involved loud up changes a couple of times.
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

Prof you loud never !!!                                                                                                                                                                              
Hull750Rider's Profile
Hull750Rider

In: Hull
9% Karma9% Karma 9% Karma9% Karma

SS50 1 down 3 or 4 up depending on flat bar 4 or rased bar 5   Totally dissagree with you Rose my 750 1st to 2nd is smooth (must remember to throttle off when chaning up) 500cx was and and the FT500 so was my xl250 and both 250 superdreams, so I think it's down to the peeps riding the bike!                                                                                                                                                                             
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
74% Karma74% Karma 74% Karma74% Karma

You don't know the meaning of a clonky gearchange until you've ridden an old BMW when it's in a bad mood!                                                                                                                                                                             
excalibur's Profile
excalibur

In: york

or a vmax's 1st to 2nd , but after that , lovely lol                                                                                                                                                                             
maxnod's Profile
maxnod

In: Swanwick

Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 1.1094 seconds. There are 1436 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption