Why are side stands always on the left?

81 Posts | Latest reply on 14/10/2009 02:07:24 by Nutkin68 | Go to original / last post
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
67% Karma67% Karma 67% Karma67% Karma

Snowboard? ROFL never done that. I've slipped up on me arris in the snow does that count?   PML ambidextrous not amphibious!  Sheesh!                                                                                                                                                                                  
excalibur's Profile
excalibur

In: york
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I think it has something to do with engine configuration on the 1st production bikes , being hard to kickstart rather let it idle on the sidestand (which we dont do with modern bikes)..but you'd still need the oil circulating ?? just a thought                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

Strange answers i have found whilst researching this question

most motorcycles if stood up complely straight and let go will fall to the left that is why (is anybody willing to try this one for me ?)

Honda on the CT110 puts a side stand on both sides (no center stand) has anybody got one?

As stated it comes from mounting horses from the left which comes from carrying a sword into battle on your left side. This way you don’t have the sword getting in your way as you swing your right leg over the horse. So if you are carrying a sword it also makes mounting your motorcycle easier. Don’t stick yourself.(TC pls do noy try this at home!!!)

Personally, I'm forced to mount my bike from the right in my garage (sometimes if I haven't left enough room) and when I do it, I don't like it.   The suspension compresses and the entire bike moves as I put all my body weight on the one peg. Its not going to fall over... But it makes me quesey. (Ah Bless)

drobess's Profile
drobess

In: Bedworth

yr bike bj?????????? is this a push bike or motorbike??                                                                                                                                                                             
Retrowheely's Profile
Retrowheely

In: Swindon

I recon it's because when you stop you put the bike into nuetral then flick the side stand down to get off????????   If it were on the right you'd have have to change feet and perform some sort of foot dance to be able to put the side stand down on the right, and whilst getting confused with that you may just fall off!!!   Remember the japs are the one's that changed gear selector's to the left aswell!!!!!                                                                                                                                                                             
pondlife's Profile
pondlife

In: Bristol

makes you quesey Jacks? I bet the bike feels a bit ill too!!                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

Lol none of those were my thoughts they are what i found on website whilst i was looking for the answer, the personally one was not from me, sorry was a bit off putting Embarrassed                                                                                                                                                                              
kaw600's Profile
kaw600

In: Doncaster

bj ask custer he did the last stand                                                                                                                                                                             
dragon's Profile
dragon

In: notts

pmsl @ kaw LOL                                                                                                                                                                              
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

My reply from Yamaha   Thank you for your enquiry regarding motorcycle side-stands. Unfortunately Yamaha UK does not have a definitive answer for the location of the side stand, although it will be down to the original position when motorcycle were invented. We must remember that motorcycles have evolved with their rider interface, for example the gear lever selection changing from the left side to the right side and back again. The motorcycle stand will have probably found its place by designers who found no other reason to change its position. Best Regards, JamesService Department After Sales Division                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

As long as the bike doesn't fall over i don't really care what side its on.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

Jackie ... You have WAAAYYYYYYYY too much time on your hands LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

Shell thats the trouble i dont lol but if something gets into my head i have to find the answer, its a gift or a curse, not sure which yet Confused                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

lol ... its called     OCD !!!LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

is that short for

Officially Completely Divlike

Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

Well thats one version LOL   I think salt & pepper chicken is the order of tonight Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

How was the chicken Shell lol                                                                                                                                                                              
pondlife's Profile
pondlife

In: Bristol

I reckon anything that gets into your head jackie would be very lonely indeed LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

Pond lol i'll have you know my head is full thank you very much, not sure of what buts its definately full.

Now wipe your mouth, you have a wee bit of brown round it LOL

excalibur's Profile
excalibur

In: york

laughing at Pond's humor *again*                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7344 seconds. There are 874 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption