Why are side stands always on the left?

81 Posts | Latest reply on 14/10/2009 02:07:24 by Nutkin68 | Go to original / last post
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

After having this conversation with several people yesterday and not managing to find any sensible answer, i Asked Jeeves .................. my reply was .............Why not !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (genuine reply), asked Wika as well got same reply lol

Anybody want to enlighten me?
dunans's Profile
dunans

In: southport
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

best guess would be opposite side to the kick start

geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

Various theories according to the net.  It's normal to mount a horse from the left, there are more right handed people in the world etc.   My belief from what I've read before is it to do with the flooding of the market in the 60s from Japan.  The japanese have always driven on the left and have always had the sidestand on the left.   The full reason?  I don't know.                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

Is it practical to have it on the right?

pondlife's Profile
pondlife

In: Bristol

I think geoff has hit the nail on the head,cos we (and the nips) drive on the left,we tend to pull into the kerb on the left (unless of course you are a woman then it's generally the middle of the road) hence a left hand side stand.                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

Oi Pond i'll have you know i always keep to my side of the road lol                                                                                                                                                                              
ghosthunter's Profile
ghosthunter

In: Hinckley

Geoff, surely you mount a horse from behind? Or have I been watching too many dodgy filums again? lol                                                                                                                                                                             
UKHarleyRider's Profile
UKHarleyRider

In: manchester
8% Karma8% Karma 8% Karma8% Karma

I think they put them on the left so u dont have to walk backwards while looking.. lol                                                                                                                                                                              
pondlife's Profile
pondlife

In: Bristol

as a matter of interest.what side are they on a harley?                                                                                                                                                                             
UKHarleyRider's Profile
UKHarleyRider

In: manchester
8% Karma8% Karma 8% Karma8% Karma

Left pond..

If i am not mistaken i think there r some old bikes have them on the right.

Not 100% but did'nt the Vincent Black Shadow have it on the right...

dunans's Profile
dunans

it had double side stands that acted like a centre stand with both down

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

so the bike is not leaning into the traffic                                                                                                                                                                             
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

In: Newton Aycliffe

I think Ians cracked it Thumbs Up

If it was on the right you'd need to walk into the traffic to get on it too!

dunans's Profile
dunans

but it leans into traffic in rest of europe and in usa                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

depnds which way ya bike is facing lmao                                                                                                                                                                             
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

In: Newton Aycliffe

yes dunans just blown that theory out of the water! LOL

Sounded good at the time tho so well done Ian Thumbs Up

drobess's Profile
drobess

In: Bedworth

my thinking for the stands 2 be on the lft on bikes is so that when lots of bikes are all parked 2gether they all lean the same way, this then keeps them all looking nice and neat when parked in the road along side each other, also they then dont bump into each other like they would if the stands were some on the left and some on the right
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

perhaps its on the left so its the same side as the gear selector, so as your putting the bike in neutral, the stand is there straight away to put down to dismount the bike.                                                                                                                                                                             
drobess's Profile
drobess

In: Bedworth

perhaps all our therorys r right                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

no just mine is !!!!!!!!!                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.8281 seconds. There are 1121 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption