Memories of being a kid and what do you miss?

245 Posts | Latest reply on 21/12/2009 16:44:41 by jeanzqueen | Go to original / last post
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
91% Karma91% Karma 91% Karma91% Karma

Was looking through old photos and laughing at some of the god awful clothes my mother made me wear !!!  Made me think of other stuff i rem from being a no care in the world kid.   Like space hoopers, weebles and good old chopper bikes.  Swapping top trumps or playing british bulldogs or stuck in the mud in the playground.    Eating space dust and cabana bars and packs of snaps only cost 2p !!!  Mmmmm rhubarb and custard sweets Thumbs Up   Watching planet of the apes, dukes of hazard and airwolf and thinking they were great Embarrassed   Having my first tape cassette recorder which was the size of a small bungalow and took 2 of you to press play and record at same time !!!   Well thats all made me feel very old Confused   Does anyone rem those weird toy things that were a ball on a string attached to a hoop you put round your ankle? (am not mad honest i had one !!!)                                                                                                                                                                                     
Holmfirthgirl's Profile
Holmfirthgirl

In: Larkfield
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Does anyone rem those weird toy things that were a ball on a string attached to a hoop you put round your ankle? (am not mad honest i had one !!!)   Pah - we had to make do with a tennis ball in a pair of me mams old stockings!!! Big smile   What about chinese skipping - loads of 'lacky bands linked up together. 1 kid at one end with em round her/his ankles & another kid at the other end with the other end round her/his ankles & you had to jump in em, on em & over em.   Also - what about 2 balls (no comments!!! this was innocent kids stuff!)   & playing kiss catch.......   ahhh the memories.....Approve                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

HFG   lol i rem the tennis ball in the sock Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
moonstone's Profile
moonstone

In: Redditch
3% Karma3% Karma 3% Karma3% Karma

The Yoyo competitions at the alhambra cinema mosely road in Brum and the public baths  are what I dont miss i always had to have my moms dirty water yukk have I put this on another thread seems like i am repeating myself!!! lin xx                                                                                                                                                                             
Bandit_Mr_P's Profile
Bandit_Mr_P

In: e.g.Hollingworth

Also - what about 2 balls (no comments!!! this was innocent kids stuff!) & playing kiss catch.......   And that's just last weekend eh Stells??? LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Holmfirthgirl's Profile
Holmfirthgirl

In: Larkfield

hahaha - yeah I wish Ian LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Bandit_Mr_P's Profile
Bandit_Mr_P

In: e.g.Hollingworth

But seriously... (me?)   2 and half p for a packet of KB Beef Crisps...   2p Bus fare anywhere in Manchester   Blackjacks and Fruit Salads... mmmmm...   Sweet shops! (Yeah' there's one or two 'around' but...)   Maybe this is why I'm the size I am!!!                                                                                                                                                                              
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

In: Newton Aycliffe

Bolt bangers and throwin arrows, promised my kids we're gonna make some this weekend Evil SmileThumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                              
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

I rem being made to drink milk at school out of those wee bottles with a straw ewwwww dont miss that at all.   Free swimming pass if you could swim a whole length and tread water for a minute Clap                                                                                                                                                                             
Amerthyst's Profile
Amerthyst

In: Dartford

Does anyone remember klackers. 2 balls on some string and you had to knock them together to make a klacking sound without hitting your knuckles? Painful if you did hit yourself with them.                                                                                                                                                                              
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

I remember klackers getting banned cos of shattering and putting kids' eyes out Ouch or breaking bones in their hands, great fun! LOL

Anyone remember London Lights, matches coated with coloured sulphur that burned for ages, yet again banned for being too much fun!! Cry

Karey's Profile
Karey

In: Barnsley

yehhh i remember 'klackers' and my two older brothers finding it highly amusing using me to practice with!  Confused What about conkers too?  soaking them in vinegar to make them super hard!Thumbs Up     What about the programmes.. Champion the Wonder Horse?  Crackerjack Why Dont You... Ann of Green Gables   *grrrr gotta leave it there.. boss here.. *                                                                                                                                                                               
drobess's Profile
drobess

In: Bedworth
19% Karma19% Karma 19% Karma19% Karma

I remember being given  £1  and from that I would pay me bus fares, go ice skating, get chips on me way home and still have sum change left                                                                                                                                                                             
Cataraptor's Profile
Cataraptor

In: Redditch

My favourites from my childhood were the cap bombs you could buy and even came free in cornflakes and used the percussion caps that went in toy guns. We had great fun with them at school often overloading the bombs and having to get them really high to detonate the caps. It was worth it for the loud bang. Typically because it was so much fun, they were ultimately banned from the playground and now caps are unobtainable.  
jabecs's Profile
jabecs

In: London

I remember "klackers" we had them in the land down under.... don't remember them being banned tho lol   Do remember the bruises tho Unhappy   How about "simon" and the sweeties are still about if you hunt around lol                                                                                                                                                                             
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

www.amazon.co.uk/Peterkin-100-Shot-Gun-Caps/dp/B000H8XSPO

Cata you can still get caps from our local post office or see the link above if you want to 'play' again Wink

Wannabe's Profile
Wannabe

What about chinese skipping - loads of 'lacky bands linked up together. 1 kid at one end with em round her/his ankles & another kid at the other end with the other end round her/his ankles & you had to jump in em, on em & over em

Hmmm... Regional variations, perhaps? We called that "French skipping"... wonder how it ended up with different names across the country?

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

remember seeing the old cassette tape all over the hedges ???when kids had pulled them out ....miles of the stuff                                                                                                                                                                             
Wannabe's Profile
Wannabe

Hehe! We saw a whole bunch of cassette tape all over a street at the weekend... brought back all those memories Ian! LOL Not something you see every day in 2009...                                                                                                                                                                               
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

when i go back home to manchester there is always shoes thrown over the telephone wires..is this just a northern thing???                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7031 seconds. There are 589 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption