Meteor Show

34 Posts | Latest reply on 13/08/2009 11:29:03 by moonstone | Go to original / last post
TeeCee's Profile
TeeCee

In: Blair Atholl
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

If anybody fancies a night ride tonight, head for a non-light-polluted area, look north west and you should be treated to a light display. At its peak, there could be 100 'shooting stars' per hour and even with the current Moon condition (which is quite bright) you should be able to see half of them.

If you want to know more, Google 'Perseid meteor shower'

Happy hunting!

(also visible tomorrow night too, hopefully)
darkcarnival's Profile
darkcarnival

In: Blackburn
33% Karma33% Karma 33% Karma33% Karma

Gah, its really overcast here Unhappy                                                                                                                                                                             
Alice2's Profile
Alice2

In: York
33% Karma33% Karma 33% Karma33% Karma

If anyone could offer me a flight above the cloud layer I might get to see it too! Enjoy TC!                                                                                                                                                                             
pondlife's Profile
pondlife

In: Bristol

Tee Cee,thats a great free show! Hopefully it will stay cloud free as promised! I normally go to a place called West wycombe up in the chiltern hills to watch.                                                                                                                                                                             
Roaring Ruby's Profile
Roaring Ruby

In: Cardiff

Great claer night here   Thanx  will  be looki ng  NW                                                                                                                                                                               
pondlife's Profile
pondlife

In: Bristol

look up on google where the constellation perseus is,thats where they appear to eminate from hence their name perseids.                                                                                                                                                                             
Wannabe's Profile
Wannabe

In: Dartford

Weds/Thurs should be good for this... the moon's not being co-operative though. I think it's being a funky gibbon. I'm pretty sure that's what they said Big smile

I was camping just up the road from Boscastle a few years back while this shower was on... bloody brilliant! Just sat outside the tent all night with my bottle of beer and the stars for company Big smile

lezg's Profile
lezg

In: Kings Lynn

Only 1 bottle Louise?? Highly unlikley LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Wannabe's Profile
Wannabe

*tuts loudly*

Of COURSE only one bottle!

Shocked

The rest was in cans

TeeCee's Profile
TeeCee

Some sources say to look north east, some north west (although Perseus is roughly NE at dusk)....Best bet is to lay on your back and look upwards, hopefully keeping the Moon out of your vision. (cos it is funky gibbonous like WB said!)                                                                                                                                                                             
TeeCee's Profile
TeeCee

Yep, weather looks better for Wed/Thurs but should be a good show tonight. I cannot possibly condone drinking alcohol whilst looking up at the stars.... (it normally goes straight up my nose!) Pinch                                                                                                                                                                             
TeeCee's Profile
TeeCee

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8196385.stm                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

i remember lying on my back beside my daughter in my garden at the last meteor shower, we saw lots of shooting stars and the like and it turned out to be a "magical" nite for us both it was a memorable nite for us!                                                                                                                                                                              
Roaring Ruby's Profile
Roaring Ruby

In: Cardiff

Its gone cloudy ereUnhappy                                                                                                                                                                             
Wannabe's Profile
Wannabe

I cannot possibly condone drinking alcohol whilst looking up at the stars.... (it normally goes straight up my nose!) Pinch

One word: "straw" Big smile

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Putting straw up yr nose to stop the alcohol getting in seems a bit extreme!                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

ROFPML @ XK   I thought I saw a 'shooting star' the other nite, think it was Sunday, not sure, summat was up there looking just like a falling star. Coulda been the cops helicopter looking for robbers lol                                                                                                                                                                             
TeeCee's Profile
TeeCee

Only stayed for an hour or so up on the moors last night because of the clouds but saw two trails. Great company though, even managed to get my telescope out... *cough*   Tonight is actually the peak time but you should always look a day before and after anyway.   I know what you mean, littlechick... puts things into perspective, doesn't it! I remember we had a fantastic year once - solar eclipse (took the day off work to enjoy it), Halley's Comet and an amazing meteor shower (like a hundred electric blue Zorro sword slashes in the sky). Quite often go up on the moors and watch the Northern Lights too....   Hopefully tonight will be better.                                                                                                                                                                             
excalibur's Profile
excalibur

In: york

Darn pity i missed this post last night , hopefully it will be clear then i'll take a gander tonight...i've been a star gazer all my life since seeing something weird stone cold sober yrs ago ,not often i'm scs lol                                                                                                                                                                              
excalibur's Profile
excalibur

In: york

Forgot to ask TC , was the scope a distraction *cough*.. on a more serious note the most stars i've ever seen was a few yrs ago in the kalahari bushveldt on a clear winters evening when i stumbled and banged my head on a rock...the rum did'nt help much either lol

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7500 seconds. There are 593 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption