Think You Have a Valid Licence? Think Again!

11 Posts | Latest reply on 23/07/2009 13:14:53 by Sandi | Go to original / last post
bradfordbiker's Profile
bradfordbiker

In: bradford
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Most of us are aware that unless medical conditions apply, a person is entitled to drive in the UK until their 70th birthday, when re-application is necessary and usually, the new licence will be valid for a shorter period of time. However because the DVLC need to ensure that the person is still recognisable from their photograph, licences are only actually issued for a 10 year period. If you are unsure, look at Section 4B on the front of your driving licence. Since photocard licences were first issued in 1998, some are now being revoked on the basis that they have expired. The DVLC will write to a driver to remind them that their licence is due to expire, but of course if the notification does not arrive for whatever reason and is not acted upon, then it is entirely possible that a driver can be unaware that they are no longer the holder of a current driving licence. Our advice? Check Section 4B of your driving licence and if necessary re-apply by getting the relevant form from your local post office.                                                                                                                                                                              
Phil's Profile
Phil

In: Liverpool

Also before you send your license away photocopy both sides of the paper and card section. when you get your license back check that you have the same categories. if they have missed anything off you only have 7 days to inform them or take the test for that section again.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Wow,thanks for that bradford biker,rummaging nowShocked                                                                                                                                                                             
bradfordbiker's Profile
bradfordbiker

In: bradford

the daft, strange but true fact is... we dont even need a driving license if we are able to take full responsibility for ourselves... a license is actually only needed for the purpose of commerce !!! but we're not supposed to know that...   Def of a driver: “one that enters into commerce on the road” Def of Commerce “to buy and sell” If you travel in your private conveyance you do none of this, and as such you do not require a license... In fact, all it is, is a contract to perform in the manner "they" wish you too, if you don’t, ha ha, you guessed it a FINE!!                                                                                                                                                                               
prof's Profile
prof

In: Bradford
12% Karma12% Karma 12% Karma12% Karma

Before renewing a license I would reccomend making a "subject access request" to confirm the info DVLA hold on you. (Details on DVLA website) A mate of mine renewed his licence last year and lost his bike and HGV entitlement. He has been through it with the DVLA, involved his MP, presented the DVLA with the full test details for his HGV (taken in the Army) and they still refuse to admit he ever had an HGV licence despite all the Army paperwork.  Seems the DVLA don't believe the MOD. If there is an error in their database at least you still have a paper/card license in your pocket while arguing the case.                                                                                                                                                                             
vinnie's Profile
vinnie

In: Harrogate

The advice I was given was to hold onto the paper part of the licence, tell the DVLA you've lost it, so that your licence comes back without all the entitlements you have proof, photo copies don't count as proof.                                                                                                                                                                             
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
73% Karma73% Karma 73% Karma73% Karma

All of it good advice. Another thing is to have a certified copy made, that's a photocopy which is then signed by a solicitor. If you're friendly with a solicitor it might not cost you more than a pint in the pub, but even if you have to pay the going rate it's still less bother than having to argue the case with a stubborn DVLA.
I once re-registered a bike and the V5 came back as a "two-wheeled combination". I'd love to see one of those!
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

In: NA

Good point Phil ... but I know of a police motor bike rider , been riding for 30 years ... who had to re test as his licence came back without it on & they would not accept a copy Cry     His advice ... before you send it off to get it renewed ... say you cannot find your old one , get a duplicate one & then send that off .. you can always *ahem* 'find' your old licence again if the new one comes back missing stuff off it Thumbs Up   On the flip side ... I know another who came back with Full HGV after sending his off Shocked                                                                                                                                                                             
bikerchick1966's Profile
bikerchick1966

In: Derby

talking about licences...it was absolutely wonderful receiving mine back today with a full bike licence on it..I was so chuffed I cracked open the champers with a good friend tonight to celebrate...and my sitter had a glass too!                                                                                                                                                                             
crowcat's Profile
crowcat

In: chesterfield

when i went to romanaia i got a vlad licence sniggerBig smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
69% Karma69% Karma 69% Karma69% Karma

PML crow you're a terror   Cheers for the heads up on this one bradfordbiker Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.5156 seconds. There are 927 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption