New Bike...Help and advice needed please

41 Posts | Latest reply on 17/07/2009 01:04:14 by bikerchick1966 | Go to original / last post
Bandit_Mr_P's Profile
Bandit_Mr_P

In: e.g.Hollingworth
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Rose, feel free to throw your leg over the bandit too tomorrow if you like. You'll not do it any more harm than i already have! :-)                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

oi dc who you calling old lol......                                                                                                                                                                             
bikerchick1966's Profile
bikerchick1966

In: Derby

Not me that's for sure! I'm just a youngster...thanks for all the advice..been swinging my legs over a few today in Keighley...had a lovely lift up there....so a good blast...as it was far far too far to take Mini V....never would have got there and back for school run..lol....a lot of the pretty sports bikes are way too small....they disappear underneath me...too long legs...long back, arms etc...the Deauville is nice but again too low....thought the zzrs would be big enough but again...far too low....Im literally lying down on the tank...not good for my back...I dont mind some leaning but not that much...shame cos I liked the one I saw!!!

Thanks Shell and Ian...thats very kind of you!...

darkcarnival's Profile
darkcarnival

In: Blackburn
33% Karma33% Karma 33% Karma33% Karma

Ian said..oi dc who you calling old lol...... 95% of this site are older than me....so i'm qualified Wink                                                                                                                                                                             
bikerchick1966's Profile
bikerchick1966

You are as young as the person you feel!!! Evil Smile                                                                                                                                                                              
moonstone's Profile
moonstone

In: Redditch
3% Karma3% Karma 3% Karma3% Karma

Does that mean Cata is only 21 Wacko                                                                                                                                                                             
prof's Profile
prof

In: Bradford
12% Karma12% Karma 12% Karma12% Karma

Probably in for a slap if he is!!!!                                                                                                                                                                             
Cataraptor's Profile
Cataraptor

Yeah right, and the grey hairs are from a hard life when I was a teenager.

Back to the thread. There is nothing more miserable than having a bike that you cannot rely on. In the early 1980s I had a Triumph TSS, the last hurrah from the Meriden Co-operative which was never right from day 1. It failed to run properly, constantly had mechanical and electrical problems and kept me poor trying to fix it. I even contemplated giving up biking as a result. I'm not very happy with my Aprilia Falco at the moment since that is constantly playing up with niggling minor faults, irritating characteristics and a lot of bad luck which visits it. It may look good but it's hard to live with and it will have to go. On the other hand, my 1200S Bandit bought new, has been reliable over 7 years and 70,000 miles, had only 1 major problem - exhaust rot from which they all suffer, and does most things well but nothing brilliantly. It has been necessary to spend money on it to upgrade the suspension but on a used bike you may have to do that anyway. I have never regretted buying it, enjoy riding it and have no intention of replacing it.

So the bottom line is don't be tempted by the pretty and impractical in your formative years of motorcycling. It could end up putting you off motorcycling completely. You need something that's easy to live with, practical, reliable, doesn't exhibit a lot of temperament and is simple to maintain and fix. It will boost your confidence and let you make a more informed decision when you decide it's time to move on. See my earlier post for more details. And try before you buy.
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

Well Rose ,   I am glad Ian & I threw a couple more options your way Big smile   I have to say I know you said the SV felt light (it is) but you looked ok on both the Bandit and the SV.   The Bandit looked more like the position of the one you have at the moment tho, but the SV will be more fun Wink even Ian says that.   Good luck with your choices whatever you make.                                                                                                                                                                             
feistygirl's Profile
feistygirl

In: Rochdale

i'm with Micks on this one   See it Buy it Ride it   Simples !!!                                                                                                                                                                             
Cruiser gal's Profile
Cruiser gal

In: Tamworth

Rose everyone can give you ideas and most will be bias to what they ride, you need to go out there have a good look around and see what you feel comfortable on. Like you say you are a tall lady with long legs and its amazing how many bikes will seem small/too low for you but that is when you sit on them it is different when you take them out for a test ride, gosh look at me with my long legs and I ride a Virago, you can't get much lower than that. (I only have panniers on it to stop my butt dragging on the ground)   Enjoy looking and take your time it's not like you don't have a bike to ride at the moment.                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

its dowm to the individual at the end of the day, just think its worth rose saying what she is thinking of, then we can say if there is any bad points with that model, cause if rose goes with all these recommendations, she will end up with about 40 bikes lmao......
bikerchick1966's Profile
bikerchick1966

Was brilliant to see you today Shell..thanks Shell and Ian for letting me sit on your bikes...bit taken with both to be honest...I have to agree with Ian that the SV would be a toy...and the Bandit that felt like me...really liked that..going to get a test ride on one...

Thanks for all the advice folks its very much appreciated..I know each to their own but there has been many a good bit of information Ive gleaned from your comments to point me in the right direction...

Lol at Ianhg.....YEP if I had the money I would have about 40 bikes to make up for all the 26yrs of not having my own!!!
Cruiser gal's Profile
Cruiser gal

In: Tamworth

I agree with you Ian on that point, once I had an idea of what I wanted I asked if anyone had experience of the bike I was thinking of and I gained a lot of useful information about the Honday CBF600 before I knew it was the one that ticked all the boxes for me.   Rose I am like you I have a lot of missed biking years to catch up on, look at me only being riding 5 years at at 79 now that means I need to live to over a hundred to play catch up.   Sorry ChaVbot the string vests will have to be put on hold I need to get out more on my bike to play catch up, ask Doris to get the knitting needles out for a change.                                                                                                                                                                             
bikerchick1966's Profile
bikerchick1966

Hey I did my training on the Honda CBF600 good little bike....did me proud hope you are enjoying it CG....                                                                                                                                                                              
maxnod's Profile
maxnod

In: Swanwick

Crikey! I remember when 600's were BIG bikes................. and we caught a tram-car to get to work........... and you could have a good night out for less than half a crown....   get yersen down to Pidcock's, Rose, and try a Bandit                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

or a blackbird....you now you like them rose                                                                                                                                                                             
bikerchick1966's Profile
bikerchick1966

Hey Im definitely going to Pidcocks after tonight sat on a VFR800 and 1200 bandit and loved them both..got to have a proper test ride now...been disappointed with some bikes I thought I might like..and now dont...so its very stressful this finding a bigger bike thing..I just cant wait to get one but dont want to rush in and buy anything..i want it to be the right one for me!
prof's Profile
prof

In: Bradford

You still need to "fall" for a bike it's like other relationships. If it's one you love you forgive it minor irritations.   The ideal is one where you fall for the looks and it proves  practical, reliable and economic, regularly surprises you with shattering performance and excitement and is comfortable and reassuring the rest of the time. Hmmm puts me in mind of something........                                                                                                                                                                             
moonstone's Profile
moonstone

3% Karma3% Karma 3% Karma3% Karma

Shocked OOo Prof   If only men though of their woman as they do their bikes aye BC!   I cant wait to get to the stage your at the test out of the way and looking forward to buying bigger.   I must say I have pillioned a bandit for many years and are very fond of them. They are also quite good to maintain and there are lots of spares about at reasonable prices. In fact if you buy second hand there are lots with extras on too so shop around as the price wont vary much with extras on.  It was highly reliable as well as being a comfy ride.   I havent been on a VFR but they look really good and I know Hondas are the biz when it comes to reliablity and build quality.   It must be good to have long legs to be able to have plenty of choice my short arse dont help at all LOL   Good luck with the test rides!   You keep the romantic lines going Prof I am sure some sweet soul will appreciate it.  Star                                                                                                                                                                                     

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7031 seconds. There are 582 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption