New Bike...Help and advice needed please

41 Posts | Latest reply on 17/07/2009 01:04:14 by bikerchick1966 | Go to original / last post
bikerchick1966's Profile
bikerchick1966

In: Derby
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Thank you everyone for all your nice comments..I have been asked so many times since Friday, what new bike will I be getting...to be honest I do not know where to start...I am going to start looking this week...I have Mini V up for sale....and need the money to buy another ...but I can tell you what I am looking for...

Sports tourer....comfortable....more sit up position than lying flat on tank riding position, panniers for touring....reliability, relatively cheap running costs....preferably with full fairing...

Anyone got any suggestions? THANKS!
maxnod's Profile
maxnod

In: Swanwick

600S or 1200S Bandit?   The world is your lobster, Rose!                                                                                                                                                                             
Cataraptor's Profile
Cataraptor

In: Redditch

Like Maxnod, I may be biased and have a lot of time for Suzuki Bandits spending most of my riding on a 1200S. The new liquid cooled 650 and 1250 have a lot going for them too and they're not expensive although they've only been around for a couple of years. Also worth considering are the SV650 (a slightly bigger Vee), Honda Hornet 600 (there may be an S version) and in particular, cheap plentiful with a good rep the Yamaha Fazer 600 - get an older one with the Thundercat engine rather than the ones with the not very detuned R6 engine. All of these are good all-rounders which will tour, scratch and commute without fuss while not being too demanding on a newly qualified rider.
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

In: Newton Aycliffe

I can vouch for a Fazer as suggested by Cata, there aren't many bikes that have a full fairing with a 'sit up' position but Fazers are good sellers, very reliable, economical and dead forgiving if you're not very experienced. I got the thou cos i'm a bit too porky for the 600 and it's already outridden many of my mistakes! Embarrassed                                                                                                                                                                              
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

Hiya Rose.   You know my views on this hun!  VFR, VFR, VFR!!!   For a lot of newbies I wouldn't suggest something as big and heavy as a VFR, but I'm sure you'd be fine.   A VFR 800 or later 750 would serve all your requirements absolutely perfect.  Plus the uneven firing order sounds gorgeous!   They happily accept panniers if you want to stick them on, very comfortable and yet sportier than a Blackbird, which I know you love.   Ok, they ain't as quick as a Bird/Busa etc, but you don't want that and to be honest 160mph is pretty much quick enough for anyone.   Get yersen a VFR, you will not be disappointed.                                                                                                                                                                             
Hull750Rider's Profile
Hull750Rider

In: Hull
9% Karma9% Karma 9% Karma9% Karma

Anything that is fully faired costs more to maintain (got to factor in the removal of plastics to overall labour). Honda Deauville could be the way to go Rose youre used to hondas of that sort of layout big plus shaft drive (no chain to maintain = no muck and oil/grease flung all over the back half of the bike or the wheel) it's 3 quater faired to so most of you is covered and it's easier to work on!   Never owned one myself but have considered it as they have a reputation to be able to eat up miles and be ecconomical too, and legendery Honda reliabillity.                                                                                                                                                                             
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
75% Karma75% Karma 75% Karma75% Karma

Rose, you'll wish you'd never asked...by this evening you'll be swamped with well-meaning advice!
I've already bounced a few ideas off you, but I'll say it again so that other people can have their say.
They seem to have much the same ideas as me anyway: Fazer/Bandit/SV650. Deauville a bit bland, but otherwise ticks all the boxes.
Depends on your budget, too. If you had the cash I'd suggest you had a look at a BMW F800. You might find an F650 is what you want, certainly riding position is right up your street.
Anyone out there got experience of a Yam Diversion 900? There seem to be a few round at reasonable prices, half faired with luggage and low mileage. Supposed to be pretty bomb-proof and easy to work on (that's not a DIY hint, just means labour costs can be lower). Shaft drive, too.

Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

In: NA

Rose, when you come down tomorrow you can sit on Vinney (my SV650) ok he is fully faired, but you can get them without so you can see how it sits under you.   I am going to have him lowered just a touch for me as my feet are little tip toey when I am sat on him. Embarrassed but then again I am almost a foot shorter than you hehheheh   PM me Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

honda melody                                                                                                                                                                             
Puds's Profile
Puds

In: .

Rose,    you can have any bike you want with those long legs,,,,    take some bikes out for a test ride,  what  suits one person may not suit someone else.    dont rush out and buy the  first bike you see,  take ya  time and shop around   I really like my fazer,  but also like the 1100 dragstar,,,  but what ever ya do dont get a BMW.   lol                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

i would have to agree with geoff......vfr800vtec....would be ideal, performance, comfort and they sound nice too...perfect                                                                                                                                                                             
darkcarnival's Profile
darkcarnival

In: Blackburn
33% Karma33% Karma 33% Karma33% Karma

C90 Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
tangoman60's Profile
tangoman60

In: Weymouth

aint yu in debon or zomerzet geof?                                                                                                                                                                             
prof's Profile
prof

In: Bradford
12% Karma12% Karma 12% Karma12% Karma

Like everyone else I carefully evaluate a choice of bikes based on practicality, insurance grouping, reliability, servicing cost, resale values etc. Then I see something shiny that shouts "me me me" and I buy whatever unreliable impractical toy has caught my eye.  Logic and sense just don't seem to go with bike buying, I find something I love makes up for the practical considerations.
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

i would say tho prof rosie is better off being advised of the kind of bike she should get as its her first big bike, rather than go for shiny and pretty, reliable and realistic would be better buddy                                                                                                                                                                             
darkcarnival's Profile
darkcarnival

In: Blackburn
33% Karma33% Karma 33% Karma33% Karma

Nooooo, go for pretty! You have to be able to pose on it or whats the point???? Practicality only comes with middle/old age IMO. Live dangerously and get whatever you like regardless of whether its practical or not, although i do agree with getting something reliable. You can do the boring bit later on Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
micksaway's Profile
micksaway

In: Weymouth

Where dos common sence get involved in getting a bike See it Love it Buy it Wink Then smile all the day long                                                                                                                                                                             
Paj1369's Profile
Paj1369

In: Pickering (York)
14% Karma14% Karma 14% Karma14% Karma

No matter what anyone says, you'll go for a ST11, won't you! So get a white one with ABS, straight from police service thru dealer (no owners in between). They've been maintained to the letter of the service book, they're cheaper too, and far easier to get to work on thru the traffic, especially with the jacket that you wear!!!
prof's Profile
prof

In: Bradford
12% Karma12% Karma 12% Karma12% Karma

I quite agree that we should all buy practical sensible bikes, one day I might even try that myself.  I believe these are known as "cars"                                                                                                                                                                             
lezg's Profile
lezg

In: Kings Lynn

Get your leg across a few and try them out. I would go with most others sv, bandit s, deuville etc but until you get a few miles on them it's hard to tell. My sis-in-law had sv650 and wanted my bandit s until she rode it, it was to smooth compared to her twin then she nicked her hubbies zzr600!?! she also wanted upright.                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.8281 seconds. There are 773 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption