Is filtering legal or not?

36 Posts | Latest reply on 01/07/2009 16:56:26 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
Wannabe's Profile
Wannabe

In: Dartford
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Ah OK - cheers for that Lamble Big smile

I make you right and as Geoff points out, it's pretty much impossible for a streetside policeman to know every nuance of the law, so why push it? If it's something that could be a grey area, it's not worth the hassle.

Putting my brain in gear, I guess I should've known that anyway... I've seen some pretty impressive stopping by police cars in high speed pursuits, alongside a car stopped at a zebra... i.e. they'll go past everything else in the queue, but they'll do whatever they can to stop at the front... then the poor old pedestrian gets all confused and doesn't know whether to carry on crossing or return to the comparative safety of the pavement! LOL

Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

In: NA

When having lessons with my instructor I was advised that even on test filtering is ok                                                                                                                                                                              
Bandit_Mr_P's Profile
Bandit_Mr_P

In: e.g.Hollingworth

Having had an accident whilst filtering, I can say that from my experience, the insurance company had no problem with what I was doing, but I did make sure I drew good diagrams, and took pictures.   I was filtering past traffic on a single carriageway (in each direction), when a young gentleman pulled a U-turn in front of me.  I was travelling at about 10mph.   No issues with liability, payout, loss of NCD etc.                                                                                                                                                                             
Hull750Rider's Profile
Hull750Rider

In: Hull
9% Karma9% Karma 9% Karma9% Karma

Pleased I posted this as it'll give more people a true view of whats legal and what is not.   So we've established that travelling against the flow of traffic on the back wheel while straddling a solid white line/hatchings and texting a mate/live streeming the video from your mobile back to YouTube is possably a bit naughty then? lol                                                                                                                                                                              
Bandit_Mr_P's Profile
Bandit_Mr_P

You forgot "Whilst eating a pie"... LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Hull750Rider's Profile
Hull750Rider

What you trying to say? Only got two hands the trottle in one hand mobile phone in the other.....                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

Yeah but those with bluetooth can be on the phone & eat a pie LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Hull750Rider's Profile
Hull750Rider

So you can text via bluetooth?? lol or stream video while phone in pocket?                                                                                                                                                                              
Bandit_Mr_P's Profile
Bandit_Mr_P

Course she can... she's a woman... they multi task you know LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

& I can knit a jumper at the same time Tongue                                                                                                                                                                             
Wannabe's Profile
Wannabe

In: Dartford

When having lessons with my instructor I was advised that even on test filtering is ok

Indeed... and I've had several instructors inform me that it's essential to filter on a test, otherwise you'll get penalised and risk failing your test due to your failure to progress through the traffic. Maybe it's because I'm in the SE of England and we're pretty much at permanent gridlock down here?! LOL

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

did someone say there were pies around...where where                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

LOL ... I have eaten them all ... was hungry Embarrassed   Filtering is what I will be doing next ride out now I have had few getting used to Stuey Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

i love filtering and wont stop                                                                                                                                                                             
Roachy's Profile
Roachy

In: West Yorks

Take a look at this document, (also talks about dabbing vs putting a foot down): http://www.dsa.gov.uk/Documents/practical_test/dt1/dsa_...sa_dt1.pdf   Search for the words filter and dabs to find the relevant sections. I found this when trying to find information about dabbing on the u-turn and noticed the bit on filtering. Informative but my instuctor told me that most examiners will fail for a dab despite what this guidance states - I guess the same would apply for filtering on test too, very subjective.                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

" A candidate should not be encouraged to make a better pass or to filter along a line of vehicles. However, if a candidate chooses to filter and does so safely, it should not be regarded as a fault"   This would indicate that in 'life' as people have said filtering in a safe manner is quite ok & legal ... however on test as per all things, its down to what the guy marking you considers to be safe or not.                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.6719 seconds. There are 1038 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption