Unbelievable speeding ticket

48 Posts | Latest reply on 24/06/2009 16:07:51 by Wannabe | Go to original / last post
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

ok so i've just received my first ever speeding ticket... for driving 124 km/h in a 120 km/h zone....  that's a 3.3% speeding difference.   F'ing unbelievable!                                                                                                                                                                               
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Unhappy Sorry to hear that Matt Hug                                                                                                                                                                             
Karey's Profile
Karey

In: Barnsley

Jeeeez Matt, thats tough going !    But i think 3% and above is the norm?  I'm sure someone will be along to correct me if not ...                                                                                                                                                                              
darkcarnival's Profile
darkcarnival

In: Blackburn
33% Karma33% Karma 33% Karma33% Karma

Over here its usually 10% + 2 to allow for uncalibrated speedo's but i have heard of people being done for less(usually by shatso's)                                                                                                                                                                             
UKHarleyRider's Profile
UKHarleyRider

In: manchester
7% Karma7% Karma 7% Karma7% Karma

Dark is right u can do 10% over here but for that matt u should have shot them lol then they could have done u for a speeding bullet lol                                                                                                                                                                               
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

10% +2mph is an urban myth. 0% +1 mph is all that's required to receive a fine.
Other factors are taken into account, the camera setting, the officer's attitude, the location, the style of riding/driving be adopted, the weather, a whole host of factors. But 10% +2 just isn't true and not a margin to adopt as a policy.
Matt's Profile
Matt

but imagine being done by a speed camera (not a cop) doing 73mph on a 70mph motorway... that's what ive just got!                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

That's the "better" cameras that are being used nowadays with finer calibration, or was it an average between two cameras, as on the Cat and Fiddle? Either way you can thank my cousin, he helped design them.

I don't send him Christmas cards!
Matt's Profile
Matt

no it was here in Holland where i live, when I was driving past Venlo on the motorway taking my little brother to the airport.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Matt, I'd worked out it wasn't in the UK, but was it a single camera, or a set of distance/speed avg cameras, like those on the Cat and Fiddle?                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

sorry, it was a single camera                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

Holland - the only country to make Switzerland appear leniant.                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

here here!   :-(                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

Hey mate, you were the one who chose to live there LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

In: Pickering
19% Karma19% Karma 19% Karma19% Karma

Manufacturers original speedometers are only garaunteed 10% accurate at 30 mph   Only "calibrated police speedometers" are "known" to be accurate and even then they can be challenged Wink Or so I have been told by traffic cops in the past (I used to work with a few when I was instructing) So I suspect that if a good solicitor challenged it you might get it recinded Ermm Its worth a try, depending on the size of the fine and other penalties, the eventual outcome might not be worth the cost of the brief Ermm Thats what they rely on Angry                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

http://www.radardetectors.co.uk/police_speedtraps.htm

And I rode with the Essex Motorcycle Police and had a couple as friends. 10% is a myth.

If you do 35 in a 30, 10% +2, a camera will fire and a manned camera will also show you as being over the limit. But hey, you take the chance like we all do, just wait for the post and see what arrives.

And I guess you mean 90% accurate?
prof's Profile
prof

In: Bradford
12% Karma12% Karma 12% Karma12% Karma

The ACPOTC (Association of Chief Police Officers Traffic Committee) guidelines recommend the 10%+2. This is not to be lenient it is to minimise the number of disputed cases that tie up the courts.  It is a guideline and has absolutely no legal status.  As the Construction and Use regs in the UK require that a speedometer should have a minimum accuracy of 90% prosecutions for speeding where you are less than 10% over the limit are unlikely to succeed unless there are other considerations which make it an aggravated offence.   The majority of English and Welsh "Safety Camera Partnerships" stick to the guidelines, Scotland is a little different.                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

The Prof is correct.  The guidelines do indeed state 10%+2. However, one point to remember is that they are only guidelines, nothing more.  They are not law.   As such you could be caught for doing 1mph over the speed limit and it would be for you to argue in court that your speedo read on or below the limit.   In reality, it is rare (not unheard of, but rare) to be prosecuted for speeds below the 10%+2 rule.   Of course, I've just typed all that out, then read Prof's post properly to find that he's already said all this, so I'll shut up now!!                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

well one good thing here is that you dont get points etc.  All u get is 4 euros for every 1 km/h over the limit... so my fine is just 16 euros and no points.   Still a kick in the teeth tho considering i set my cruise control to 120 km/h in the car!!!!                                                                                                                                                                             
Roachy's Profile
Roachy

In: West Yorks

Is that it! A 16 euro fine!! I thought you said Holland was strict!!! Confused   Think I'd be collecting fines if I lived over there! LOL                                                                                                                                                                                

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.8750 seconds. There are 1588 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption