World Travellers?

109 Posts | Latest reply on 04/07/2009 04:07:42 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
Newkid's Profile
Newkid

In: Watford
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

You guys sold me on it, was 'thinking' of a Euro tour, but getting some practice camping/touring practice this yr in the UK first. Looking at Ferry to Le Havre, Orleans to Bordeaux then cut across to Perpignan, dropping into a place called Collioure. Some magnificent scenery round that way, med coast, so stay for a day, rest! That point I haven't got that much planned other than up to Milan-Italy, Zurich-Switz, Stuttgart-Germany, then maybe pass through Lux on way back. That works out 2K with an average of 142 miles a day over 14 days, Thumbs Up, not bad!

Suggestions of places to pass, apart from those mentioned, would be most appreciated.

On the America thing, did 3 weeks touring Florida sub aqua diving. Shop keeper there said BSAC dive leader was equivalent to their National Instructors, LOL. Cold, murkey waters of the UK, they can only imagine diving it that, LOL. SS Duane, 32mts down yet ya could see the wreck over the side of the boat, Big smile. Driving through the everglades, long straight roads, auto cruise on and just look out for crocks in the road, in the heat haze ahead.

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Unless you mean the Silver geese, those crocks (sic) are alligators,but they still aren't as dangerous as the locals.                                                                                                                                                                             
Newkid's Profile
Newkid

LOL, getting my crocs and alley mixed, your right, LOL. Kept the locals happy, all coming up with the "Gee, your British" line. Shocked when I ordered 'Tuna and Sweetcorn' pizza, to which I relied "Hang on, dont you guys eat Ice Cream for Breakfast", LOL. Key Largo was about my favorite place, so laid back, Conch Chowder was brill, Hmm..                                                                                                                                                                              
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

Seriously, seriously seriously Newkid!  If you are going that way then you have to spend a few days in Switzerland.   It has to have the best scenery and roads of any trip I've ever been on, that and Austria.   To just pass through would be a real shame.   Travelling from Italy to Austria/Switzerland has to be done via the Stelvio Pass and whilst there have a play on some of the many passes, they're all amazing.  I'll send you some more info when I have a bit more time.   As far as places to visit, anywhere along the Rhine around Koblenz is pretty amazing.  And of course whilst in that area you have to have a look at the Nurgurgring.  If you stop at the petrol station just outside the track, you can actually cross the road, climb the banking through the trees and spectate for free lol.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

wow if only had the money and time to do that kind of tour, with having the muggles , ankle biters,...sorry kids lol, i couldnt leave them for that long without seeing them,so maybe in a few years for me, but if you folks do it, then would love to see the photos
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I have two trips in mind, well four actually,now now I think of it, make that two hundred and sixty three...thousand. It never ends, the more you see the more you want to see and unless you stop and immerse yourself in the culture the best you are doing is drawing a line through a place.

I always shudder when someone says, "I've done..." as though they've completed and exhausted a country by entering a border one side and exited the other. "I've been to..." that works for me.

I can see that. "I've done the Stelvio Pass" for instance does work, especially if you've been down it and up it.

Oh and I'm only using that as an example and not taking a pop Geoff, because you didn't fall into that camp. It tends to be people that want to tick places off, as if there's a badge of honour. There isn't.

There's a great book by Alain du Button called, 'The Art of Travel' it's not a guide book, it's not really a travel book either, it's a psychological study of why we travel and what we feel we get from it and how. Fascinating and I can't recommend it highly enough. But if you are going to buy it on line from Amazon, can I ask that you go to www.threecupsoftea.com and link to Amazon from their site link please. That way you'll still get your discounted book (or anything else Amazonian) and a group of kids will get some much needed education, free of religious fundamentalist teachings and girls will be included rather than excluded, from those schools you will have just helped fund. Ta.

Charity that doesn't cost you a penny...bargain!
Newkid's Profile
Newkid

Sounds good to me Geoff, look fwd to any information you can send me.

As to kids Ian, there pretty much their independent selves now, hardly see much of them with only being back for the weekends. There always flitting about, sleepovers round friends, though I did manage to take son scrambling this weekend, Thumbs Up. Two weeks is only 4 days when I only 'may' have seen them, LOL.

Your right Lamble, that's why I didn't want to push the boat out on millage, do ya think 140 average per day is rushing it a bit? Want to spend some time to smell the roses, so to speak, Big smile.

Must dash, late again.

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Newkid, personally I limit the "must be there by then" dates to the very minimum, start, festivals, ferry times, return as flexible as possible. Some days 140 may seem too many, others, not enough. I depends what happens, what your mood is, what distractions there are, what nature is doing, if the bike is working, if you need to do laundry (honestly that can become an all consuming topic for a day or two).

And if you don't get somewhere you intended to visit, that'll be because you are somewhere else and that should be just as good.
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

www.ridersrest.net www.motomassif.info
www.whereistonynow.co.uk

Massif Central France..useful sites
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

I agree with you Lamble.   Although I believe in organising my trips, I don't believe in too much organisation.  Get to where I'm going and then start thinking about what I'm going to do there.   Many places have a "must see", but what people have to remember is that each "must see" is relative to the individual concerned.  Nowt worse than feigning interest because you've been shown the way to the "must see" which your guide is clearly fascinated with, but which is in truth leaving you bored stupid!   Many of the most breathtaking things I have seen have been things I've found accidentally like the lake at Interlaken or the castle at Berg Eltz.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I think it's from the 'Art of Travel' where someone offers that true travel and discovery comes from seeing things others have seen, but having a unique thought about them.
In Seattle there was a guy called Rick Steves. He's made millions from travelling Europe, then not only tell Yanks what to see, but also what to think about what he told them to see. He then arranged tours, so he could further control the poor victims. He has TV and books too, for those who want to be spoon fed.

I detested the man and everything he represented...he looked like Joe 90 only older and more smarmy.
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

"he looked like Joe 90 only older and more smarmy"   lol                                                                                                                                                                             
excalibur's Profile
excalibur

In: york

Geoff , truly a magnificent part of Austria/Switzerland , Interlaken , Grindelwald , Mt eiger and Jungfraujok and the glacial streams and rivers white as milk ...brings back memories !                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

So where have people ridden?

And where would they want to ride?                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Never ridden in Ireland...any tips?                                                                                                                                                                             
Wannabe's Profile
Wannabe

In: Dartford

1) Don't miss out the North - take the Antrim Coast Road - my favourite road in the unipurse (so far) Big smile And the Mourne Mountains look fantastic when the heather's in bloom - you can ride through them on your way South.

2) Otherwise, don't make any plans, just stop wherever looks tempting and get chatting... someone will soon point you in a good direction.

3) Buy ice cream. It seriously rocks... lots of Italian families settled there and brought with them their ice cream making expertise Wink

Wannabe's Profile
Wannabe

I took my first car up the Antrim Coast Road... and intend to do the same with my bike someday... I may have to sell the house at this rate, in order to buy the bike, but what the hey? I have a tent LOL                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I read, Around Ireland with a Fridge. May re read it as the basis of a guide book...very loose.                                                                                                                                                                             
Wannabe's Profile
Wannabe

Loose is definitely the way to go IMO... enjoy the craic and take each day as it comes. The scenery is breathtaking and the coasts vary from fantastically craggy, rocky and wild, to the softest, sandiest beaches around... Take your waterproofs though - it's not known as the Emerald Isle due to year round sun Big smile                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I have noticed a correlation between, Green and Wet.
I could even rekindle the Three Cups of Tea plan.                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.8594 seconds. There are 574 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption