Givi Wingrack Coming Loose.

20 Posts | Latest reply on 27/07/2009 01:21:03 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
stewwolfie's Profile
stewwolfie

In: Darlington
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I'm off for 4 days touring in Scotland next month, but a bit worried aboot me Wingrack on the Viffer.  Only used it on short distances so far but every time I do use it the blooming thing seems to shake all the bolts loose - I'm on the verge of sticking locktite on everything or putting spring washers under it everywhere...  Anyone ever experienced this?Confused                                                                                                                                                                             
TeeCee's Profile
TeeCee

In: Blair Atholl

I would do the Loctite and/or spring washer on an accessory like that as a matter of course anyway. Then check it regularly and carry some spare fasteners with you too!   Happy touring! If you pass a Harley rider singing to himself, please don't push me over....                                                                                                                                                                             
prof's Profile
prof

In: Bradford
12% Karma12% Karma 12% Karma12% Karma

Loctite or nylocs for everything, if there is space I prefer nylocs for this sort of use as you can unbolt and replace things without wondering where the tube of loctite is.                                                                                                                                                                             
stewwolfie's Profile
stewwolfie

Only a couple I can get nylocs on, but loctite definitely seems to be the answer - only trouble is I don't keep it on, so would have to loctite it every time I put it on.  thinking loctite and spring washers is a good combination                                                                                                                                                                              
TeeCee's Profile
TeeCee

In: Blair Atholl

I am continually installing/removing luggage racks on my bike and use wavy washers and the blue Loctite (which confusingly comes in a red tube). Have never had any problems so far and I doubt your bike vibrates more than mine! Just clean the fasteners with a wire brush before you apply a fresh bead of Loctite.   Enjoy!! (and bring some decent weather with you...)                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

4 days!!!   Roachy and myself got a weeks worth of gear in a topbox (admittedly a very big topbox) and a pair of throwovers.  This included a laptop, a large camera, three pairs of shoes/trainers, a bottle of scottoiler oil and so forth.   Come on man, packing light is the answer lol!   Quick tips.  Put out everything you want to take.  Anything you are unsure whether you need, you don't and take half of the clothes you've put out and put them back in the wardrobe.   I've had long weekends away by myself with just my topbox.  Easy.  Even if you're camping, a large bag on the pillion seat with your camping gear in would be just as good as a pair of hard panniers.  I can lend you one if you want, 100ltrs and waterproof.   The last thing you want is a heavily laden bike spoiling your fun.                                                                                                                                                                             
Paj1369's Profile
Paj1369

In: Pickering (York)
14% Karma14% Karma 14% Karma14% Karma

There is another way of fastening difficult nut's onto their bolts, and that's by using 'Nordlock' or 'Nordloc' washers. They're a bit on the dear side, but work under very demanding conditions, their just a bit thicker than normal split locking washers because they come in two parts, and are serated. Just fit em the right way round,.. it's obvious if you look at em, which way they fit. Good luck.
stewwolfie's Profile
stewwolfie

Well everything's either loctited or new Nyloc's or Spring washers, or sometimes all 3...   That should do it..    Thanks for the offer Geoff, but this is a bit of a test of the luggage for touring Czech later.  Don't really give two hoots what it looks like, as long as it survives.  Probably just put the panniers on for the scotland trip, or maybe just the topbox, but the panniers are lower down and less top heavy.                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

Ok mate, it's here if you want it though. Another tip and possibly the most important.   I've done some long trips in the past including three weeks in Spain and one thing I've learnt is that you can't pack for that length of time easily.   So what I do now is pack for 4/5 days.  It doesn't matter how long the trip is, I pack for 4/5 days.  If the trip's longer than that, I wash!  Simple as that.  Rinse a couple of T-shirts and grundies out one evening and leave over the radiator or on the balcony overnight (bungee cord washing line, instructions below!) and you're sorted for another couple of days.   Also, I wear a clean T-shirt and underwear for the evening and then the same gear the next day on the bike.  That way I don't have to worry about more than about 2 decent shirts.   With this system, I've never needed more than a topbox and throwovers and the bike remains fairly light so I can enjoy the bends.   Worth a thought!   Bungee Cord Washing Line   Take bungee cords and double them up between the washing line anchor points so you have two cords together. Then twist the two cords together the required amount before anchoring and push the clothes in between the twisted cord. Hey presto, secure washing line eliminating risk of clothes blowing away overnight and no need to carry clothes pegs.                                                                                                                                                                             
minger's Profile
minger

In: southampton

good advice geoffb,im thinking of haveing a little tour myself,but after checking out the price of a full set of panniers and top box,realised they are a bit pricey ,so ill just get the topbox for now and travel light.prob do as you sugest,clean stuff for evening and wear same the next day.
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

take the racks off....problem solved ...sorry stewie just joking, i use some oxford sports panniers, you can get loads in them, 24 cans of carling on each side...lol                                                                                                                                                                             
Hull750Rider's Profile
Hull750Rider

In: Hull
9% Karma9% Karma 9% Karma9% Karma

Hey Minger buy a Dry Sack a sports shop that caters for Canoests are usually less expensive than say Hein Gerricks Lots of differant sizes and they are bloody tough things, I bought a larger one than needed (but have managed to fill it to the brim on longer weekends) but because the way they work the more you roll then to seal them the smaller they get :oD A large one would take a couple of big sports bags easy.
julie j's Profile
julie j

In: Harrogate

Hull you have indeed hit the nail on the head, get a drysack and bungie it on. they are ace can get loads in,easy to store when not in use versatile and cheap.Def one of my best buys yet have seen one advertised with a wire mesh over it for added security.
Holmfirthgirl's Profile
Holmfirthgirl

In: Larkfield

hey Stew - so how did your stuff hold out in the swimming pool that was Scotland this week then? **sniggers**                                                                                                                                                                             
stewwolfie's Profile
stewwolfie

Bloody brilliant.  Took the 52 litre topbox, as per Geoff's instructions, didn't need the panniers.  Wore a new (borrowed) Frank Thomas 1-peice Acquapak overall that lasted about an hour before wet arse syndrome, so swapped to my Goretex Berghaus walking trousers and jacket over my leathers - Brilliant!! Not a drop inside... Wet feet and hands, but the rest of me was bone dry.  Brilliant time, with some fabulous people, and boy can I ride in the wet now, not afraid of the odd damp patch like I was before I went away.
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

Amongst all the gobbly-di-gook and madness, there are a few words of wisdom from the frog!   Glad to hear you had fun Stew.   A full hour before getting wet in FT gear, I'm impressed!!  LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
julie j's Profile
julie j

In: Harrogate

not like a bloke to be able to cope with the damp patchLOLLOLLOL                                                                                                                                                                             
stewwolfie's Profile
stewwolfie

Ermm Some things never change.
micksaway's Profile
micksaway

In: Weymouth

Rain in scotland for one.   Before riding with full panniers might be worth riding around with them for a while to get used to the width. Sorry if telling you to suck eggs but seen few people caught out. I nearly dropped mine on a ferry as i went to close to bulkhead trying to get lined up.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

julie you never seece to amaze me , i cant do top boxes...but souds like geoff gave some good advice.                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 1.3438 seconds. There are 1039 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption