petition to remove the Swerve part of the new test

80 Posts | Latest reply on 07/06/2009 11:20:50 by bluesbiker | Go to original / last post
Roachy's Profile
Roachy

In: West Yorks
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I think affordable training should be more readily available. I was under no obligation to have any training (other than the CBT) for my test as I was taking it on my own 125 and was free to practice alone and rock up to the test centre on my own (I didn''t though) - unlike learning to drive any other vehicle where instructor training/supervision is required - including the DAS test.   I chose to have training so I knew *how to pass the test* and to improve my riding, which it did in spades.   Derbyshire County Council have a subsidised training scheme called Bike Plus at the rate of £50 for county residents and £90 to non residents that regularly ride in Derbyshire. My Dad called me yesterday and mentioned something he''d seen in Kent which was £20 for some form of training (I didn''t get a chance to get more details as I was in work).   I think more councils should run subsidised schemes such as these and bikers encouraged to go on them and not just inexperienced riders either.   My training hasn''t stopped with passing my test, I will be having more to improve my riding and make me a safer motorcyclist.                                                                                                                                                                              
TeeCee's Profile
TeeCee

In: Blair Atholl

I could be wrong, bb, but I have seen the circuit layed out in a left and right hand configuration but not sure if you have to do both. However, I think most peoples 'natural' side to swerve to would be the right, as you say...   I am definitely in two minds about this new test (but I really want to have a go at the circuit!)                                                                                                                                                                             
TeeCee's Profile
TeeCee

Roachy - that subsidised training sounds interesting!   Worth starting a new thread to make people aware of it?                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

In: Pickering
20% Karma20% Karma 20% Karma20% Karma

Back in the early 80''''s I was a Chief Instructor for South Yorkshire County Council Motorcycle Training Scheme A bit of a mouthful I know, but the point is that the scheme was free! it was paid for out of local taxes for the benefit of local tax payers. All the instructors were volunteers, only being paid petrol expenses. They were from various other schemes. Some from the Star Rider Scheme, some from the South Yorkshire Police (including retired M/C Traffic officers) and some IAM members.  Ultimately the hiring a Chief Examiner who was Cardington trained and authorised, added to the overheads. But it was not funding which closed the scheme, it was the scrapping of the Council by the Tories which caused its demise.  The scheme was very efficient and  ranked among the best in the UK, with a pass rate for the Part 1 test of over 90% at first attempt and well over the national average for Part 2. The County Council were way ahead of their time, in terms of "integrated" transport policy. Motorcycles were considered as part of an overall strategy and catered for in all transport matters. This was all in a direct response to the introduction of the 2 part test. Many people were deprived of their daily transport by this legislation and the infrastructure just didn''''t exist. Many local authorities adopted the model and some instituted their own, but it was a very ad hoc state of affairs. So, in the abscense of a clear National strategy, for implementing a  workable and equitable infrastructure (financial and logistical) I dont see much chance of affordable motorcycle training being provided by the private sector.  I had been thinking of returnin to instructing but I am having serious second thoughts now.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

good posting emz,i think in the moment of needing to swerve you will do it naturally, the fact you know your gonna have to do it on a test wont get you ready for the road,but i will be interested to see how ya get on tc                                                                                                                                                                             
nina's Profile
nina

In: Barnsley

ok my 2 pennies worth ........   whether new test is good or bad  i dunno will be able to comment better when i do the new 1     BUT what gets my goat is the fact that only a cbt   allows us to be on the road .when i did mine i'd only every pillioned didnt even  no how to change gear ...  the day was raining  he had 2 scooters & 2 geared bikes to pass that day  i think i did possibly 2 hours of riding on the road  & i passed  .... i learnt to ride after with kind mates taking me out & showing  me the ropes .....   maybe its time the government look at that first                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

good point nina..good morning too !!!                                                                                                                                                                             
excalibur's Profile
excalibur

In: york

swerving can be an unnerving experience , i reckon all bikers have had to face doing it at one time or another ,normally through no fault of ours ! it just happens and instinct and experience takes control , after a few silent curses you just carry on riding . I would seriously recommend it being taught ( theoretically ) but am against the idea of the "swerve" being used as a test to judge a bikers competence . No unnerving situations are used in motorcar tests that i know of!!
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

why dont ya all just come and ride around around leicester city centre, i can personally say at least 10 swerves will be done, as people round here cant drive !                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

When you get there the course is laid out with both left & right so that you could be sent in either direction & untill you get to that part of the test, then when he asks you to do it he points to which direction you have to take                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

cheers for that shell, i was wondering how they set it up                                                                                                                                                                             
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

In: Birmingham in th

Or you could come to Brum and swerve round the parked cars on the aston expressway. Or dodging taxi drivers in sparkhill.                                                                                                                                                                             
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

I go back to a point i made earlier.  The speeds involved (30mph)would meen that you probably would be riding in an urban area where there's a good chance that the near side would be obstructed by vehicles. If something ran out, it would mean swerving into the path of oncoming cars. Having to swerve to the right and given the direction of travel of whatever is blocking you, you'll probably hit it anyway. Geek                                                                                                                                                                             
TeeCee's Profile
TeeCee

Thanks shell!   I am wondering if they should maybe swap the swerve test for a little ramp instead - only 2 or 3 bricks high (depending on conditions....) Wink                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

why not make it a dukes of hazzard stylee jump !! lol                                                                                                                                                                             
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

They could teach you how to perform a triple salco. so if you did hit someone you would land on your feet! Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

Well I still say having done it, it should stay, its not scarey & ok yeah I clipped a cone & failed, but if it had been a car door opening that I clipped I would have done myself a lot more damage! Its something you may never use ... I have never done an emergency stop in my car but I still know how to do it ... But judging from rides out I have had with Ian & the ride back yesterday after picking up Stuey from the dealers, I am sure glad Ian knows how to do  it Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Bandit_Mr_P's Profile
Bandit_Mr_P

In: e.g.Hollingworth

Bloomin Nissan Micras!!! And D...O...G... s                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

and squirrells...lol                                                                                                                                                                              
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

If nothing else learning to throw your bike around can only breed confidence. Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 1.0156 seconds. There are 897 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption