petition to remove the Swerve part of the new test

80 Posts | Latest reply on 07/06/2009 11:20:50 by bluesbiker | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

here here !!!!                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

just a couple of thoughts;manouveres learnt for a test situation can be/are easily forgotten.Can you honestly still do a feet up u turn or drive your car with your hands at ten to two.Experiance rather than learning make things second nature.whose to say that an inexperianced but liscenced driver won't panic or freeze when faced with a swerve situation where as someone unliscensed but experianced will deal with the crisis,probably swearing and gesticulating at the same time!      I don't know if this swerve test is a good or bad thing but anything that makes it even more difficult and expensive to get legally on the road is just going to make more and more people ride illegally which will have the end result of bumping up costs for all of us.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

i see your point cass, but on the other end of the debate, if i had someone less in frot of me and they didnt swerve, or froze and brought me off too, i would not be too impressed.                                                                                                                                                                             
Holmfirthgirl's Profile
Holmfirthgirl

In: Larkfield

well taking it to the other point Ian,if that happened then you're riding too close to the person in front!                                                                                                                                                                             
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

In: Birmingham in th

In an emergency situation your going to do what is instinctive. Usually by grabbing the brakes. You would have to practice this all the time for it to be instinctive. Not just once. I think test for test sake its a waste of time in the real world. You might as well push kids out in front of buses for them to practice jumping out of the way.Thumbs Down                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

, all i am saying , is, if the person is not able to swerve , then they should not be on the road, what if it was a child that ran out in the road, or a animal and you were coming in the other direction and that took you off                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

dont really think pushing kids out in the road is the same thing, but i am gonna be quiet as i will really get on my soap box lmao                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

this is a good healthy debate though                                                                                                                                                                              
Holmfirthgirl's Profile
Holmfirthgirl

ok Ian - where you 'taught' how to swerve or did you learn it by experience & instinct? The thought of having to go through it in a 'false' situation phases me a bit - ok - if I'm taught how to do it - slowly at first & build speed up to get to the 31mph, then maybe ok - but as has been said earlier this is bumping up the price of learning & taking your test.. Are car drivers asked to do a high speed break/swerve test though a speed trap?                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

bloody women...why do they always make so much sense lmao                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

dont know why so many just came through, sorry folks                                                                                                                                                                              
Holmfirthgirl's Profile
Holmfirthgirl

'kin ell Ian - you've got Ricdude syndrome squared Big smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

looks that way stell lol, thie is a debate where beer, food is needed...lol, there are really good points to both sides                                                                                                                                                                             
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

It's a fair analogy i think. If something ran out from your near side and you carried out that swerve. ie swerving to your right. becouse of your direction of travel and of what ever is running out your going to hit it anyway.                                                                                                                                                                             
Holmfirthgirl's Profile
Holmfirthgirl

ok, I think the thing to do maybe to have the swerve bit 'taught' but not to have it in the test. Just read the discussion in MCN & as was said - under 'test' conditions some people go into a panic mode & can therefore have an accident - apparently there have been 16 accidents so far & a number of them serious! Now, as 'training' to ride a bike is not compulsary, maybe it should be a case of take/pass your test & then within say a period of 'n' months produce a certificate that says you've been 'taught' how to do the swerve bit...but 'taught' as in instructed & practised it..but not under such 'strict' conditions as you HAVE to do it at 31mph or fail, or that if you slightly 'touch' one of the blue cones then that's a fail..so not a pass/fail situation, but at the discression of the instructor?                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

if there was a kfc family bucket in the road i would swerve, stop, and eat it..so hungry lmao,                                                                                                                                                                              
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

road kill in a bucket. Now there's a thing. lol Big smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

sounds good to me bb, lmao                                                                                                                                                                              
TeeCee's Profile
TeeCee

In: Blair Atholl

I believe the swerve test is carried out in both directions isn't it? (HFG, help me out here?)   I am still talking without actually having tried the 'swervey thing' yet but I guess it differs from obstacle avoidance in a car in that balance is involved, and if it happened in an urban environment then you would be using a cold area of your tyres which complicates things too.   Do you think this test has been constructed so that you should have a degree of training before you take it? As I said before, some people were taking it without even knowing how the course was laid out or what was involved. I agree with what both cassie and HFG are saying -  I know that training is expensive and God knows that motorcycling is not cheap nowadays anyway and people suffer from nerves on the day and that we should be encouraging people not discouraging them....   but... I have this thing with cars and it is the same with bikes... people have to realise they are in control (hopefully) of a tonne (car) or quarter tonne (bike) of metal which can very quickly turn into a missile when things go wrong and we have a responsibility to others around us to be able to control them. (Don't even get me started on how modern cars totally detach the drivers from the involvement of controlling their vehicle and realising the speed that they are actually travelling at)   However, as HFG pointed out, this increases with experience and confidence and should you necessarily have to pay for that via training before you take your test or is there another way of achieving it?   Hmmm....                                                                                                                                                                               
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

I only saw the swerve to the right in the vid TC. The speeds involved would meen that you probably would be riding in an urban area where there's a good chance that the near side would be obstructed by vehicles. That would mean swerving into the path of oncoming cars. There are so many variables in any situation that your chance of carrying out what you were taught to the letter are very small indeed. I dont know about you but the amount of times i've had to do a manouvre like that in 30 years of riding are tiny.

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.9219 seconds. There are 958 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption