School Bans Swimming Goggles

35 Posts | Latest reply on 06/06/2009 20:55:05 by bikerchick1966 | Go to original / last post
TeeCee's Profile
TeeCee

In: Blair Atholl
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Swimming goggles have been banned by a school for fear they could injure pupils. Children at a Welsh school have been banned from wearing goggles.   Critics say it is one in the eye for common sense but school leaders at Ysgol Bryn Coch in Mold, north Wales, said they are only safeguarding youngsters. They believe serious injury could occur if a pair of goggles snapped onto a child's face too hard or if a lens popped out unexpectedly. Headteacher Lynne Williams sent out a letter to parents to say pupils could only wear goggles on medical grounds. Consequently, three youngsters of the 335 who use the Mold swimming pool have been withdrawn from lessons. Ms Williams was unavailable for comment about the way the school followed advice from the British Association of Advisers and Lecturers in Physical Education (BAALPE), handed out to all Flintshire schools. BAALPE advice states: "Head teachers should inform parents/carers that goggles can be a hazard and cause permanent eye injury. "Wet plastic is very slippery and frequent, incorrect or unnecessary adjustment or removal of them, by pulling them away from the eyes instead of sliding them over the forehead, can lead to them slipping from the pupil's grasp with the hard plastic causing severe injury." A spokesman for Flintshire County Council said: "The school can advise parents on the use of goggles during school swimming lessons. There is a legal responsibility for school governors, headteachers and teaching staff to ensure that the LEA's health and safety policy is followed, and that advice and guidance on matters such as swimming and the use of goggles are applied and monitored regularly by schools. "Such guidance is based on regular and approved good practice as highlighted by BAALPE in its 'Safe Practice in Physical Education and School Sport' publication, copies of which have been provided to all Flintshire schools. The BAALPE guidelines are consistent with those of the Amateur Swimming Association in respect to the use of goggles during school swimming lessons."                                                                                                                                                                             
Holmfirthgirl's Profile
Holmfirthgirl

In: Larkfield

oh FFS!!!!!! Censored                                                                                                                                                                             
Dragon13's Profile
Dragon13

In: Billingshurst

Coo heck, makes me wonder how I made it to this ripe old age, what with all the dangerous things I have done in my life.............and most of them were apparently before I started riding the bike! LOL                                                                                                                                                                              
darkcarnival's Profile
darkcarnival

In: Blackburn
33% Karma33% Karma 33% Karma33% Karma

FFS! What will it be next??? Pencils being withdrawn because of possible lead poisoning???? Angry                                                                                                                                                                             
TeeCee's Profile
TeeCee

These people are getting paid to make decisions like this....                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Suppose it would be better to take all the water out in case someone drowns. Could fill it with cotton wool as thats what these twats want them wrapped up in.                                                                                                                                                                             
TeeCee's Profile
TeeCee

Oh lawd, Ric - don't give them ideas!!!                                                                                                                                                                             
Dragon13's Profile
Dragon13

Ahhhhhhhhh yes, but I'm sure if people were playing about in a swimming pool full of cotton wool, that in itself would pose certain safety risks..............suffocation............overheating.........etc LOL                                                                                                                                                                              
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

aaaah good old UK with its idiotic policies and safety guidelines.  Makes me chuckle                                                                                                                                                                             
Wannabe's Profile
Wannabe

In: Dartford

Oh that's right Ricdude - stuff the poor wee'uns who are allergic to cotton wool, why don't you?!

Have you no heart, man? Just because they're in the minority doesn't mean they have fewer rights y'know! LOL

Wannabe's Profile
Wannabe

Makes you wonder sometimes... maybe we'll end up with a generation of numpty adults who go around bashing themselves over the head with sledgehammers saying "But nobody told me I'd hurt myself - where's the HSE Directive on it?"

It's not fair! I demand com-penn-say-shun!
Dragon13's Profile
Dragon13

Personally I think that the world is such a dangerous place that certain people would be safer if left permanently tied to their beds....................but maybe that's just my opinion!Tongue                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Erm,yes it does WB. Its all very different in my world. Confused Yes suffocation and allergies is a possibility but thats modern day for ya. Never had it in the good old days. Whenever they were.                                                                                                                                                                             
Wannabe's Profile
Wannabe

*paints placards and mounts protest*

Ricdude hates kids with cotton wool allergies!
Down with this sort of thing!

LOL

Wannabe's Profile
Wannabe

Personally I think that the world is such a dangerous place that certain people would be safer if left permanently tied to their beds....................but maybe that's just my opinion!Tongue

Are you certain that's your opinion and not just your fantasy Dragon? Evil Smile

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Lucky i didn't have a cotton wool allergy when i was a kid else i wouldn't of had anything to put in my box of matches so the folks wouldn't hear them rattle. Mind you these days the kids borrow their parents lighters. Hooray for the younger generation,always handy when mine runs out.                                                                                                                                                                             
Dragon13's Profile
Dragon13

Are you certain that's your opinion and not just your fantasy Dragon? Evil Smile

Errrrrrrrr.......................................Wink

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Mind you its only this country that bans under 18's from buying fags but lets them legally smoke at 16. Again,in some ways handy cos it always costs them 3 fags when i'm asked to buy them.                                                                                                                                                                              
Wannabe's Profile
Wannabe

I'm liking your style Ricdude... I might have to give that one a try - that'll help spread the remaining pennies available for spends! LOL                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Also makes you feel good that you are in fact helping the younger generation to cut down on this disgusting habit. Plus your 3 fags up.                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7031 seconds. There are 945 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption