Waterproofing or 'Treating' your gear

19 Posts | Latest reply on 22/04/2009 09:38:22 by Sandi | Go to original / last post
Bandit_Mr_P's Profile
Bandit_Mr_P

In: e.g.Hollingworth
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

OK, so let's get the pun out of the way first... I decided to treat my waterproofs the other day... Took them to the Zoo... They loved it!! LOL Anyway.  I swear by Nikwax, and use the actual wax for boots etc (best applied by fingers to add a little warmth and aid the penetration process), and the Nikwax TX Direct Spray-on for my gore-tex jacket and trousers.  Proof of the pudding was a 15 minute deluge, with hailstones and the - french - road turning into a river. Not a drop did penetrate. Despite this, I always wonder, for leather (boots) and gore-tex (trousers and jacket) does anyone else have any "miracle products" which they recommend?                                                                                                                                                                               
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

In: Pickering
20% Karma20% Karma 20% Karma20% Karma

First I must point out that I have not tried the following "cure"   PVA glue diluted in solution with water is, I am informed a cheap and effective waterproofer  Smile   Anyone else heard of this Question   I used to sell Nikwax in the shop and I still use it, also do my gloves with the aqueous wax which comes in a handy bottle with applicator Thumbs Up   Em Cool                                                                                                                                                                             
Dragon13's Profile
Dragon13

In: Billingshurst

*(best applied by fingers to add a little warmth and aid the penetration process),*

Tongue.......................No, I'm NOT gonna comment!LOLLOL
LOL                                                                                                                                                                              
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

Only 2 posts an its gone t**s up Shocked                                                                                                                                                                             
Bandit_Mr_P's Profile
Bandit_Mr_P

Ooops! Hmmm... yes, erm... Embarrassed The Nikwax tin says... and I quote... Rub the wax thoroughly into the leather - preferably with your fingers because their warmth will improve penetration! It was an *innocent* comment!!!! Big smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Bandit,47 posts and you still think you can get away with an innocent post. LOL Anyway,back to the thread.                                                                                                                                                                             
Bandit_Mr_P's Profile
Bandit_Mr_P

*hoped* Ricdude... *hoped*!!!! Big smile                                                                                                                                                                             
chunkichick's Profile
chunkichick

In: Cowling
19% Karma19% Karma 19% Karma19% Karma

Bandit u shud no better, it took alot of effort and restraint to not comment on that... as for waterproofing sorry no tips                                                                                                                                                                             
Bandit_Mr_P's Profile
Bandit_Mr_P

LOL... LOL... LOL... LOL... LOL... LOL... LOL... LOL... LOL... LOL... LOL... LOL... <shuffles off into the corner>                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

As Ric sez, back to the topic 1 Modern biking gear, lightweight polyester, can succesfully be machine washed and re-proofed in a domestic machine these days. When I started it was heavy duty rubberised Belstaff "black Prince"for wet weather protection or waxed cotton or leather. A very different story now with "built in" armour and "zip together" jackets and trousers. Thumbs Up I for one dont miss the "good old days"   Em Cool Big smile                                                                                                                                                                             
julie j's Profile
julie j

In: Harrogate

the nikwax wash didnt touch the muck on my summer jacket,and i did it twice, hope the waterproofer worked cos it aint cheap!                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

If the garment is "badly soiled" I would recommend a hot wash in good detergent first, then thoroughly flush the machine with clean water to remove all traces of washing agent before re-proofing Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
julie j's Profile
julie j

just think im a reet mucky bugger!                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

We'll have to take your word 4 that JJ LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
prof's Profile
prof

In: Bradford
12% Karma12% Karma 12% Karma12% Karma

Effax leather balsam for feeding and conditioning leather   Ledergris for leather if it needs recolouring or you want a shiny finish (as long as you want black or brown).   Nikwax Tech Wash and Nikwax TX10 for fabrics                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

Hot bitumen ... best waterproofer there is.  Also there's no need to remove your bike gear, just pour the bitumen into a bath and get in, boots, helmet the lot. Another tip for waterproofing underwear is to never change them.  After about six months they become self waterproofed.   "best applied by fingers to add a little warmth and aid the penetration process"   I have some cleaning spray somewhere for snooker cues and on the can is says "Apply liberally to butt only and rub briskly."  You wouldn't believe how shiny my bum is.                                                                                                                                                                             
Holmfirthgirl's Profile
Holmfirthgirl

In: Larkfield

ROFPMSL @ Geoff!! LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL                                                                                                                                                                             
vinnie's Profile
vinnie

Renapur balsam is brilliant, waterproofs, nourishes and restores leathers and boots and it lasts forever, still using the same pot i bought over ten years ago.

www.renapur.com

Don't know about the rest of their products but if they're as good as the balsam they should be good.
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
67% Karma67% Karma 67% Karma67% Karma

I've used Nikwax and some other stuff, that I can't remember the name of, for my leather boots and gloves and textile jacket and neither product kept the rain out but it's inevitable that rain will penetrate wherever there is stitching.                                                                                                                                                                                     

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7656 seconds. There are 744 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption