Calling all pillions who have learnt to ride.

14 Posts | Latest reply on 25/11/2008 23:33:15 by Bikeabill | Go to original / last post
Roachy's Profile
Roachy

In: West Yorks
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I'm new to the biking/motorcyling world but I'm really enjoying riding pillion and frankly, can't get enough of it.   As time has gone on I've become more and more interested in at least having a go myself and doing my CBT and take it from there, depending how that goes.   However I'm quite concerned about how learning to ride will affect being a pillion. When I learnt to drive I became a terrible passenger due to no longer being in control and I'm concerned the same thing would happen with this.   So, my question to all you pillions turned riders....did it put you off riding pillion and if so, why?   Many thanks.                                                                                                                                                                             
Karey's Profile
Karey

In: Barnsley

Not for me Roachy... i still Love pillion.. can tek in the scenery and relax.. even go to sleep if its been a long journey LOL   But then agen, ive not done my test yet..only my CBT, so once i get my test and my own fairly big bike.. i mite feel different.. not sure. Smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Wannabe's Profile
Wannabe

In: Dartford

Different strokes for different folks Roachy... If you went like that with driving/passengering, chances are you could do the same with riding.

But does it matter?

Totally different buzz from riding than pillion... PLUS... you won't ever have to hang around begging & hoping for pillion rides again - you fancy going for a ride, you damn well go for one.

No more having to adapt to different riders' styles, no more niggling doubt in the back of your mind that maybe the bloke you've accepted a ride from will want one in return, so to speak.

All that aside, learning to ride often improves your pillying too - you become more observant, more aware of what your rider's likely to do in advance etc... and continuing to ride pillion will also improve your riding, as you'll pick up on your rider's observations etc.

Pootling along at a whole 35mph when you're riding yourself for the first time is way more exciting than hurtling along at 140 on the back, with your knees up around yer shoulders too ;o)

Just one suggestion... make sure you've got the cash for a 125 before you go for your CBT, otherwise you'll be sitting there completely frustrated, nearly 3 months later, still unable to get out and ride :o(

Otherwise - go for it! You'll have noticed that everyone on here who's gone for their CBT in recent months has leaped back on the forums grinning like Cheshire Cats and floating around on cloud 9 for about a week afterwards - don't deny yourself that feeling ;o)
Karey's Profile
Karey

Well said WB! Thumbs Up   I'm still grinnin...tho it's starting to fade.....i NEED a bike !!   lol LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Hull750Rider's Profile
Hull750Rider

In: Hull
9% Karma9% Karma 9% Karma9% Karma

Almost allways had my own bike so pilly to rider not all that relavant but I aggree with Wannabe as if you was liker that in a car chances are you'll do the same on a bike (down to your own personallity rather than the vehical) but she is also right about the rider being a better pilly too as they take more notice of whats going on rather than the scenary lol.
Karey's Profile
Karey

'...as they take more notice of whats going on rather than the scenary lol. ...'   I do take notice and read the road..ie know when theyre gonna turn into a bend.. when theyre gonna accelerate to overtake or if they need to brake...etc...   BUT .. nearly every pillion ride ive been on the rider has been completely trustworthy, so I was able to relax..and indeed tek in the scenery... sign of good rider. Smile                                                                                                                                                                             
ttaskmaster's Profile
ttaskmaster

In: Reading

I don't like being Pillion mostly because I'm tall and can't handle being scrunched up for very long.   The actual ride depends on the rider. My ex GF was a reckless fucking nutjob, so it was in my best interests to always ride my own bike, alone.   Other people I actually learned from and I'd trust them more than I trust my own ability!!                                                                                                                                                                             
tangoman60's Profile
tangoman60

In: Weymouth

cant do pillion i cr*p meself at the thought!!!even if it meant i could get me arm's around redrider!!![uh oh! lewd remark's could be thrown off or suspended!!]                                                                                                                                                                             
Roachy's Profile
Roachy

In: West Yorks

Thanks guys for all your comments, food for thought an all that.   I can't see myself owning a bike for quite some time as I don't have anywhere to keep one and I doubt I could afford it so that begs the question - why bother?   Unless I have a go and do the CBT I won't know if I take to it or not. I never ever thought you'd get me on the back of a bike, yet here I am - LOVING IT! I have to say, the thought of a little 125 scares the pants off me, I've been sticking to big bikes for my rides, 1100 being the smallest so far.   It's a real fear, losing the ability to trust my rider. I've been told by all my riders that I'm a good pillion, especially for one so new at it (but I've yet to experince sitting with my knees round my shoulders!) and I'm keen not to lose that.   Decisions decisions!                                                                                                                                                                             
Triumph_Sy's Profile
Triumph_Sy

In: Newtown
27% Karma27% Karma 27% Karma27% Karma

Some good points made, i would just add that once you've passed your own test, your main aim then, is to become a confident and competent rider. This can only be gained by getting plenty of miles under your belt, watching and learning from an experienced rider is invaluable to achieving this.  So maybe if you view riding pillion as a training excercise, as well as being good fun, you won't lose the buzz of it, so to speak.                                                                                                                                                                             
julie j's Profile
julie j

In: Harrogate

if you are out with someone you trust and respect you can relax and enjoy the day out, ive passed my test and got a half decent bike now but  love to have someone to take me out cos i find it more enjoyable being on the back and sharing the experience, its about letting go and trusting someone, sometimes you know that you can and sometimes you cant, in my experience most people who have taken me out have made me feel very safe but you have to trust them 100%
Wheelienice's Profile
Wheelienice

In: Redditch worc

hi girls and lads, good luck roachie is it tommorow, you will get there girl hope weather ok for the day, stay cool [or is that cold] what is FFT gilrsQuestion we hopfully be tooting around at 35 mph soon                                                                                                                                                                             
Cruiser gal's Profile
Cruiser gal

In: Tamworth
12% Karma12% Karma 12% Karma12% Karma

Roachy I ride a bike myself but also go pillion and most of the time I still don't mind going pillion like the others have said its the person who is in control of the bike your pillion on that makes all the difference. When I first rode pillion before ever thinking of riding myself, me and the person riding had sort of ways of  me letting them know if I was feeling a little nervous that way I  felt more in control. (sounds like one of my blonde in a cupboard sayings there)                                                                                                                                                                                 
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
64% Karma64% Karma 64% Karma64% Karma

Hi Roachy, my x went through every thing in about 1 month and bought a 600 suzi. She does't like to ride pillion now and will only ride her own bike. Costs about £400 all in                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.3906 seconds. There are 736 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption