Any weird laws i should know for EU travel?

36 Posts | Latest reply on 11/09/2008 14:22:11 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

I know i need a high-vis jacket for some countries for when broken down, but do you know of any other strange requirements?   Does my bike need pink and orange stripes down the left side on Tuesdays etc?                                                                                                                                                                             
Phil's Profile
Phil

In: Liverpool
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

you may need beam deflecters on your head lights. Isn't it a bit late to  be thinking about this?                                                                                                                                                                              
tangoman60's Profile
tangoman60

In: Weymouth

set o spare bulbs!![not tulip ones yu cloggy!!]if youve ec number plates then yu dont need country sticker                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Pink and red , right side, ThursdaysWink                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

You need to carry a first aid kit (you can get small ones for bikes etc) and make sure your exhausts have baffles fitted and EU stamped if aftermarket.  Also if you wear glasses you have to carry a spare pair (Germany and Switzerland).   In many countries you have to also carry your V5 document, as well as the obvious license and insurance details.   Make sure you get your vignettes for the Austrian and Swiss motorways before you join them (you can buy them at petrol stations, ask for the one for bikes as they are cheaper).  The Austrian vignette is available for periods as little as ten days, but the Swiss one is only available as an annual tax.   Speeding fines can be hefty and often on the spot for non-residents!  Pay up or risk them impounding your bike until you can.   In Switzerland they can range from around 100SF (50ukp) to 1000SF!!!  Also note that Switzerland is not a member of the EU and as such any non-resident is pretty much guaranteed an on the spot fine or an impounding of the bike.  Also note that having speed camera locations on your GPS is a criminal offence in Switzerland and is liable to result in a fine and the confiscation of the device.   Given that you live in the Netherlands, I am sure you are familiar with the rules in Germany, Belgium and France. All I would say is don't try to outrun the Police as they have helicopters and radios lol!  A friend of mine learnt this to his displeasure.                                                                                                                                                                             
tangoman60's Profile
tangoman60

does that aftermarket pipey thingy law apply in Spain cos i wasnt bothered by the cops fer waking them from there siesta as i went by!!!                                                                                                                                                                             
ttaskmaster's Profile
ttaskmaster

In: Reading

Get a collapsible warning triangle too.   Also - Beware: It is HIGHLY ILLEGAL to import paprika into Hungary, in ANY quantity. So if you're self-catering, leave the Schwartz spice rack at home, eh!!                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

Spain is a little different from the rest of Europe Tango, in that the spanish Police have typically spanish laid back views on things .....   "Hey ..... he no bother anyone .... he ok!!"   (Unless you're speeding through towns however)                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

well ive just bought a medical kit and high vis jacket.  Headlight dippy things? I thought that only applied to cars?   I asked garmin about the speed cameras on my GPS and they said they can't be turned off or uninstalled!!!   What are vignettes?  Where do i get one/them for Switzerland?   Hein Gerrike don't sell the little triangle things, do I need one for on the bike?  And spare bulbs - are they really required?  :-(   And yea i know it's a bit late, but i've been away in America for 3 weeks so didn't get chance to even think about this lol   Thanks guys                                                                                                                                                                             
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
69% Karma69% Karma 69% Karma69% Karma

Why don't you PM Speedy Claire? She's been round half Europe in the last few weeks and should know what's needed.                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

thought she only went to germany though, or did she go further?                                                                                                                                                                             
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
69% Karma69% Karma 69% Karma69% Karma

France, Germany, Czech Republic, Hungary, Belgium and Austria, apparently.                                                                                                                                                                              
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

Legally, you do need to carry a collapsible triangle.  However, they are quite big and as such although I have been asked to produce one when in the car, I have never been asked to whilst on the bike.   Vignettes;  The Austrians and Swiss do not have to pay road tax for driving on normal roads.  But they do have to pay road tax for driving on their motorways - it is classed as a national toll.   Vignettes are basically road tax stickers that you have to have on the front of your vehicle whilst on the motorway.  If you don't have one the fines are substantial, circa 400SF in Switzerland (about 200ukp and on the spot, pay up or have your bike impounded kind of fine!!!)   As such they are available to buy at a number of places, petrol stations, some shops in towns and at border controls (although they can rip you off on the exchange rates here).  My advise would be to buy them in Austria at a petrol station (they sell Swiss ones in Austria as well if you are near the border).   Prices are around £12 for a ten day Austrian vignette and £40 for an annual Swiss vignette.  Just remember to ask for a motorcycle vignette (Die vignette der motorrad)                                                                                                                                                                             
old red's Profile
old red

In: Norwich
4% Karma4% Karma 4% Karma4% Karma

good bit of advice Matt..GIVE SWITZERLAND A BLOODY MISS...                                                                                                                                                                             
Blueboy955i's Profile
Blueboy955i

In: Darlington

Matt,   Here are some motoring-orientated Euro-laws for you.....   Belgium: A driver/rider who needs to turn through oncoming traffic has the right of way unless he slows down or stops.   Denmark If a horse drawn carriage is trying to pass a car/bike and the horse becomes uneasy, the owner of the car/bike is required to pull over and if necessary, cover the car/bike.   Italy: A man may be arrested for wearing a skirt (you never know!!!)   Switzerland: A man may not relieve himself while standing up, after 10 P.M.   Germany It is illegal for ones car/bike to run out of gas on the Autobahn.   and most importantly of all....... France No pig may be addressed as Napoleon by its owner.   Enjoy your Euro-ramble mate and stay safe. Blue & Cassie                                                                                                                                                                             
old red's Profile
old red

In: Norwich
4% Karma4% Karma 4% Karma4% Karma

see what i mean about switzerland....yodel bloody hoo                                                                                                                                                                             
tangoman60's Profile
tangoman60

went there once!the place aint real!like a chocbox picture! jus a bunch of Nazi collaborator's did very nicely out of the nazi's pilfered swag[especially Jew's stolen gold an money!] being banked in thier coffer's!! yeah give the place a wide berth!                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

well i can't now, ive already got everything booked.  Wish ud have said earlier.  Everyone was telling me how much i must go there etc.  Dammit :-(   Im not going far through the country though, just around the alps area, so i should be ok away from the cities i think (I mean with the weird laws, ill still get the sticker thing).   Gotta get a triangle thing tonight tho, tho havin trouble finding a place that sells them.                                                                                                                                                                             
ttaskmaster's Profile
ttaskmaster

In: Reading

Google is your friend!!!!                                                                                                                                                                             
tangoman60's Profile
tangoman60

still! be better than riding around this crowded place! although now the holidays are over its better her now!                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.9844 seconds. There are 1592 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption