the nights are drawing in, so thinking about Easter 2024

29 Posts | Latest replyΒ on 12/08/2023 11:12:12 by Strom67 | Go to original / last post
Steve_H's Profile
Steve_H

In: Teesdale
57% Karma57% Karma 57% Karma57% Karma

As per the title the night's have now started to draw in, it will soon be autumnal, if not winter (I like to be ahead of the game).
So to 2024.
Easter is in March next year. So if I'm going to do an Easter in Teesdale it might be better to not do it at Easter unless we can lay our paws on a bunch of ski-doos...
Right, back to me beer 🍺
Strom67's Profile
Strom67

In: Hilton, Cambs
38% Karma38% Karma 38% Karma38% Karma

Hows about Mayday Madness in Middleton πŸ€”                                                                                                                                                                             
Steve_H's Profile
Steve_H

If it's May it might a Spring Gentian trip, although you'll need to be prepared for a short walk of a couple of miles if you want to see them. Or a long walk if people are feeling adventurous.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentiana_verna
dynax's Profile
dynax

In: Doncaster
32% Karma32% Karma 32% Karma32% Karma

----------------------------------------------------

Quote:
If it's May it might a Spring Gentian trip, although you'll need to be prepared for a short walk of a couple of miles if you want to see them. Or a long walk if people are feeling adventurous.

https:...

I would do an overnighter for that, thanks Steve πŸ‘                                                                                                                                                                             
Steve_H's Profile
Steve_H

The best place to see the Gentians is up on Cronkley Fell.
It's not a severe hike or anything like that onto the fell but it does need a few hours and the proverbial stout boots, you won't be doing it in bike boots and riding gear (although I did once take a bunch up to the Quiraing on Skye in bike leathers but that's another story).
If anyone is into hill walking stupidity it might be worth doing a separate non biking event because most people will want me to take them a-hooning, a-scoffing and a-drinking.
I'm happy to do two separate events or tag a day onto Not Easter.

The short walk to the Gentians is from the Langdon Beck pub, it's still a mile or so but it's flat. Well flatish.
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

FFS Steve I haven't finished my Christmas pudding yet                                                                                                                                                                             
Lindsay's Profile
Lindsay

In: Leeds
53% Karma53% Karma 53% Karma53% Karma

I'm up for this one... I'd love a walk to see the Gentians. πŸ˜ƒ                                                                                                                                                                             
Steve_H's Profile
Steve_H

I can't for one moment believe you've saved some Christmas pudding this long. If you have you should hang your head in shame...
On the other hand if you've found a mid-summer source of Christmas pudding you are a hero of epic proportions and you should share the knowledge.
I could just go a crimbo pudding with brandy source about now... πŸ˜‹

Quote:
FFS Steve I haven't finished my Christmas pudding yet...

Lindsay's Profile
Lindsay

I may have some brandy sauce in my store cupboard...

Will send by pigeon post if so.                                                                                                                                                                             
Strom67's Profile
Strom67

I could fit my walking boots in and some non biking gear and do both Steve. BTW is Mayday Madness in Middleton not an acceptable title? πŸ˜”                                                                                                                                                                             
SlowGoose's Profile
SlowGoose

In: bolton
5% Karma5% Karma 5% Karma5% Karma

WTF is a Gentian? is it some sort of Northland hamster? Perhaps a bird of prey that eats northland hamsters?                                                                                                                                                                             
Lindsay's Profile
Lindsay

It's a plant, blue flower.                                                                                                                                                                             
Witcher Man's Profile
Witcher Man

In: Sheffield
1% Karma1% Karma 1% Karma1% Karma

So it's not just me that's ignorant about a Gentian 🀣🀣

Thanks Linz for improving our knowledge.

Mayday madness in Middleton sounds excellent idea.

Quote:
WTF is a Gentian? is it some sort of Northland hamster? Perhaps a bird of prey that eats northland hamsters?...

Steve_H's Profile
Steve_H

The gentian to which I refer is a one of the Teesdale Assemblage of rare plants, it is a little blue jobbie found in Upper Teesdale and some bits of Ireland.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentiana_verna

The Gentian which you're thinking of Goose is indeed hamster like but is in fact the Pennine Gentian Haggis (Taigeis Gentiana Sassanach) and is related to the Scottish Haggis.
It is easily distinguished from it's more northern kin in that the legs on both left and right sides are longer that the other, this is an evolutionary trait which enables it to run around the hills in either direction.
The Pennine Haggis lacks the Tartan colouration of the Scottish Haggis, it is a vibrant blue/purple colour, which does fuck all for it's survival chances when faced with a hungry buzzard. It's primary defense is that it gives any preditor severe indigestion and flatulence.

I hope this enlightenment will come is useful πŸ™‚

Quote:
WTF is a Gentian? is it some sort of Northland hamster? Perhaps a bird of prey that eats northland hamsters?...
dizzydot's Profile
dizzydot

In: Middle earth
16% Karma16% Karma 16% Karma16% Karma

We only found 1 lonely speciman last timeπŸ™ƒthe walk is nice tho..Im up for next year this time 😎

SusiPop's Profile
SusiPop

In: Selby
48% Karma48% Karma 48% Karma48% Karma

If we can decide on dates for definite, I need to get accommodation sorted in good time 😁 happy to do both dates if necessary - April and May Day weekend ? πŸ‘πŸ‘                                                                                                                                                                             
Steve_H's Profile
Steve_H

I'm thinking Friday 3rd to Monday 6th May, that's the early May bank holiday.
It's still early enough in the year, the weather should be good (no snow risk anyway) and the gentians will be out for those that are interested.
We can sort out the details later but if that date is OK I'll put it jn the diary.
Strom67's Profile
Strom67

Fine by me Steve.. Is that a definite then???
We'll just have to wait until the Teesdale start taking bookingsπŸ€”                                                                                                                                                                             
SusiPop's Profile
SusiPop

In: Selby
48% Karma48% Karma 48% Karma48% Karma

If we can get this in the calendar please I can start looking for Airbnb and such like! Ta very much 😁                                                                                                                                                                             
Steve_H's Profile
Steve_H

OK, I'll get something on the calendar over the next couple of days.                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.6416 seconds. There are 797 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption