USB power source

25 Posts | Latest reply on 10/02/2023 18:17:12 by BAT66 | Go to original / last post
BTD's Profile
BTD

In: Sheffield
9% Karma9% Karma 9% Karma9% Karma

Hi All,
What I do is use the same connector (SAE in my case) as my Optimate lead and plug into that.
This has the benefit of having an inline fuse also.
Just unplug you Optimate and connect you Fog lights into the lead to the battery.
Hope that helps
Cheers
BTD
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

A slightly old post but may be worth a contribution, if you can track down a fuse that is live when the ignition is on then you can buy a piggy back fuse holder. This keeps the initial fuse rating the same.

Then with the piggy backed fuse use it to power a relay( and just the relay )so keep it low 1amp is plenty . From there you can use the relay to switch what you need coming straight from the battery with each component having an inline fuse from the relay. Best to put a fuse between battery and relay live input as well.

I did this on my rebel 1100 and the relay can switch the heated grips and running lights plus anything in the future up to the relays max current which I believe is 35 amps from memory.

Hope that makes sense and is helpful 👍
Ragnar's Profile
Ragnar

In: London
67% Karma67% Karma 67% Karma67% Karma

Thanks again folks, I went for the Healtech Thunderbox which as been spot on since fitting it.
One thing I did do with it was to a breaker in the live feed, because the instructions said if there's a problem with the unit was to disconnect from to battery for 10 seconds or so so it can reset it's self and I did need to do this once during the heat wave when the box wouldn't shut down, guessing it got a little warm.

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

I'm planning on putting spots on my harley and I will run the feed from back of the headlight using the day running light and then add a separate switch so I can switch them on and off and this way they will switch off automatically when ignition is off

I have my sat nav wired in this was as well with a 2 pin waterproof connector in the middle to make it easier to remove it
BAT66's Profile
BAT66

In: Dartford

I took a 'live' from the side light to a relay and then ran that to the spots on my '96 Fatboy.
On the other hand for the BMW I had to get a CAN Bus thingy from Denali, and wire from that after programming the output.

----------------------------------------------------

Quote:
I'm planning on putting spots on my harley and I will run the feed from back of the headlight using the day running light and then add a separate switch so I can switch them on and off and this way th...

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.2188 seconds. There are 570 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption