Engine Rebuild

9 Posts | Latest reply on 05/02/2022 10:45:48 by Wills | Go to original / last post
Jaybo85 's Profile
Jaybo85

In: Watford
15% Karma15% Karma 15% Karma15% Karma

Hi everyone, I just joined, happy 2022.

I’m in the process of stripping down and rebuild my engine after I believe it seized because I rode it not realising that there was no oil.

It’s my first bike and want to truely understand it’s workings before I buy a bigger bike this summer.

When I opened the engine up there was a strong burn smell, however so far everything seemed to me moving well. I’m waiting for the flywheel removal tool to be delivered so I can continue dismantling. Is there anything signs that I should look for when determining what needs replaced if the engine was seized because there was no oil keeping it lubricated ?

Strom67's Profile
Strom67

In: Hilton, Cambs
38% Karma38% Karma 38% Karma38% Karma

Hi Jaybo

It might be useful if you stated the make and model of your defunct motorcycle...

I once had an RSX100 seize under me because the feed from the 2 stroke oil tank had a blockage? 😊                                                                                                                                                                             
Jaybo85 's Profile
Jaybo85

Hi storm, it’s a mutt mongrel 125 with the Suzuki GS engine.

What did you do with your seized engine?

Everyone I’ve spoken to thinks I’m mad for attempting a rebuild but I’m not in a rush and enjoy tinkering about with things. It will just be handy to have someone who knows engines to get advice from, when the manual and YouTube fail me 😊
Triumph 62's Profile
Triumph 62

In: Chesham
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Hi Jaybo I'm a 45 year served motorcycle mechanic, I have my own business in chesham, if you want any help give me a shout.                                                                                                                                                                             
Jaybo85 's Profile
Jaybo85

Thanks triumph, I really appreciate that, is that what you do for a living ?                                                                                                                                                                             
mistressofmoo's Profile
mistressofmoo

In: York
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Youtube tutorials are your friend. If you don't know how engines work mechanically, don't attempt a strip down. Heat warps etc, let the chap look at it or someone who knows what to look for. Personally, I'd buy a replacement lump and fit that. No oil in an engine is catastrophic. This is a big job. *qualified mechanic*.
Strom67's Profile
Strom67

In: Hilton, Cambs
38% Karma38% Karma 38% Karma38% Karma

Not that I'm particularly mechanically knowledgeable but I would tend to agree with the changing engine idea, given how much it cost me to have an engine rebuild 30 years ago🙄                                                                                                                                                                             
Guzziguy123's Profile
Guzziguy123

In: Market Harboroug
7% Karma7% Karma 7% Karma7% Karma

If it's been run without oil & seized you are looking at new piston & rebore as a minimum. The big end has probably suffered damage, any internal bushes would be worn. As above look for a replacement engine or even a cheap crashed or scrap bike on Ebay.
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
75% Karma75% Karma 75% Karma75% Karma

All of the above. If you want to get back on the road fairly quickly, then it would be far better to find yourself a spare engine. But hang on to the old one and dismantle it methodically, preferably with a knowledgeable friend to guide you through.
Then work out what needs to be done and then rebuild it. It'll be a steep and possibly expensive learning curve, but you'll know a lot more about engines and how they work and are repaired by the time you've finished.

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.4063 seconds. There are 545 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption